New Jersey Devils' Lineup/Roster Thread 2015-16

Triumph

17 hours ago, Triumph said:

If you want Smith-Pelly on the fourth line, you may as well non-tender him.  He's going to get paid at least $1M and a 4th line forward who doesn't kill penalties isn't worth that.

i totally get what you're saying and I don't think he's a 4th liner. but unless you've got stud centers, a real good team can't have him as a top 6 forward. if next year's plan is similar to this year's plan and they don't do much in free agency or trade, then he's gonna be there by default. but otherwise, i'd like a 3rd line of blandisi-josefson-DSP.

as i have stated previously, until you know where the devils are drafting, you can't begin to set your plan for next year. you can have an idea, but if they get into the top 3 or by some miracle actually win and get matthews, it conceivably changes your offseason strategy.

I agree, Okposo would be a great addition, but why would he come to New Jersey? Isles aren't in cap trouble, they have the money to sign him, and if he's staying in the area he's just gonna sign on the Island where he's had success, I doubt he'd stay in the area just to play for a team that's a couple years behind where the Isles are right now.

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

i totally get what you're saying and I don't think he's a 4th liner. but unless you've got stud centers, a real good team can't have him as a top 6 forward. if next year's plan is similar to this year's plan and they don't do much in free agency or trade, then he's gonna be there by default. but otherwise, i'd like a 3rd line of blandisi-josefson-DSP.

as i have stated previously, until you know where the devils are drafting, you can't begin to set your plan for next year. you can have an idea, but if they get into the top 3 or by some miracle actually win and get matthews, it conceivably changes your offseason strategy.

Just not likely that any of that happens - 90% of the time they're picking 11th or wherever they are right now.  So with that in mind, I think playing Smith-Pelly up is fine and trying to sell him high would not be a horrible idea.  I don't really believe in top 6 - top 9/bottom 3 is generally how I think, and I think he can be that.  I agree that he should have better linemates but that's not happening.  

Josefson cannot be a 3rd line center, he is just a total non-factor offensively.  That's got to be item #1 to upgrade is that position.

One guy I would be interested in getting for camp is Cody Hodgson.

39 games---65 shots---10:44 TOI---33.69 SF/60---23:31 SA/60---49% FO

The other guy I would like to target is Teemu Pulkkinen from Detroit.

36 games---65 shots---11:34 TOI---31.27 SF/60---22.39 SA/60

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

Just not likely that any of that happens - 90% of the time they're picking 11th or wherever they are right now.  So with that in mind, I think playing Smith-Pelly up is fine and trying to sell him high would not be a horrible idea.  I don't really believe in top 6 - top 9/bottom 3 is generally how I think, and I think he can be that.  I agree that he should have better linemates but that's not happening.  

Josefson cannot be a 3rd line center, he is just a total non-factor offensively.  That's got to be item #1 to upgrade is that position.

well yes - if things fall into place, he is 4th line C, PK and PP. getting a truly offensive center (not easy by any stretch) means you have henrique and zajac as 2nd and 3rd line C's and then you can do some work. your top 9 thinking starts to come into play in that scenario. i am reserving real offseason scenarios until we know where they're drafting.

3 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

While it seems like the Devils need shooters - they're going to end up with the least shots on goal in the league - I really don't think they do.  They just don't have players who are good enough with the puck to make plays in the offensive zone.  Boucher, Smith-Pelly, Palmieri, Cammalleri, Kennedy - these players have all been bulk shooting types at one point in their careers.  It's up to New Jersey to find players to help these guys out.  I like Hodgson and Pulkkinen but I'm not sure they are enormous play drivers.

3 hours ago, sundstrom said:

well yes - if things fall into place, he is 4th line C, PK and PP. getting a truly offensive center (not easy by any stretch) means you have henrique and zajac as 2nd and 3rd line C's and then you can do some work. your top 9 thinking starts to come into play in that scenario. i am reserving real offseason scenarios until we know where they're drafting.

Regardless of where the Devils draft, they have to find a better 3rd line center than Jacob Josefson.  

While it seems like the Devils need shooters - they're going to end up with the least shots on goal in the league - I really don't think they do.  They just don't have players who are good enough with the puck to make plays in the offensive zone.  Boucher, Smith-Pelly, Palmieri, Cammalleri, Kennedy - these players have all been bulk shooting types at one point in their careers.  It's up to New Jersey to find players to help these guys out.  I like Hodgson and Pulkkinen but I'm not sure they are enormous play drivers.

Regardless of where the Devils draft, they have to find a better 3rd line center than Jacob Josefson.  

Cody Hodgson is terrible. You don't typically play the fourth line on a bad team if you're a blossoming young forward. He's played on the fourth line in Buffalo for the past two years iirc, and at least the majority of this season if I'm wrong. I'd be interested in any of Detroit's, Florida, EDM's, or hell, even Buffalo's young forwards that they don't see carrying on their roster. We can't afford to give up assets really and it would be kind of foolish not to have a wait & see approach (Wood, Zacha, Coleman, Blender, Bouch, Speers, Santini)

EDIT: Hodgson can come on as a PTO or ATO, it wouldn't hurt to give him a look. Pulkkinen I'd be more willing to trade for.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

I have a feeling we're going to tell him to take a hike and he scores 60 points for some other team.  

Seems highly unlikely based on recent performance.  At any rate, if that were to happen...so be it.  Devils can't be indebted to the old guard forever.

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seems highly unlikely based on recent performance.  At any rate, if that were to happen...so be it.  Devils can't be indebted to the old guard forever.

I would entertain the option of bringing him back. I think he might still have something left. I also think it would be really cool to see Zacha play with Elias (assuming Zacha makes the line-up which is obviously not a definite). Something like a Boucher - Zacha - Elias line might work out pretty well if Patty's passing ability has held up. Also, anybody know what Zacha's speed is like?

I love Patty but there's no alternate universe where he's getting 60 points next year.  Especially since he likely won't stay healthy for 82 games, or even 41.  It's far more likely if he takes a hike it's the Marty thing all over again where plays several senseless games with another team before the league tells him it's time to go.  He's played single digit games this year and that's not with some major injury or something that'll go away next year.  He was bad two years ago and not available this year.

Granted I love the guy and if there was a way to bring him back as third line LW with Zacha as his C next year, wonderful I'd be all for that.  Or if he pulls a Gomez and signs mid-season if (when) Cammy gets hurt again.  I'm not sure he wants to do that though.

Sadly, one of those contracts (3 years, $16.5 million) that was flat-out bad when you strip away feelings and emotions.  I think you can deal with one contract like that (similar to Marty) when the player involved was one of your all-time players.  But eventually you gotta say good-bye.  If Patrik still thinks he has something left, he shouldn't get the chance to prove that here...too much points to him being finished, and just like Marty found out, sometimes those signs are dead-on.  Elias already got his lifetime achievement deal.  Love Patrik and he had one terrific career, but sadly age and eroding skills eventually get to everyone.  

35 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Disappointing to see Warsofsky sit. He really was fighting the good fight, giving us a really solid chance at finishing in the top-10 of the draft. He may not be here long, but I, for one, will never forget him. He may not have the cups, nor the goals, nor the hockey ability in general -- but to me, he will always be Mr. Devil. 

*stick taps*

He's ok. He's no Travis Hunter. But he's ok. 

37 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He's ok. He's no Travis Hunter. But he's ok. 

Trent Hunter?

I think I read somewhere the Rangers had spent some time with Mozik before he came over, invited him to a camp or two, they let him know a few areas of the game he should work on for the nhl, etc.

Will make it that much sweeter to turn the tables on them after Stralman if he turns into a serviceable defenseman. 

1 minute ago, Toasterleavins said:

I think I read somewhere the Rangers had spent some time with Mozik before he came over, invited him to a camp or two, they let him know a few areas of the game he should work on for the nhl, etc.

Will make it that much sweeter to turn the tables on them after Stralman if he turns into a serviceable defenseman. 

It's a double whammy in the sense they really really need a guy like Stralman to play in their top 4, and they just let him go.  Props to Yzerman and the Tampa management to capitalize on NYR's stupidity.  Girardi, Boyle, Klein, and Staal are simply not going to cut it.  Do the Rangers have ANYBODY in their D pipeline?  Like any youth?  I can't believe they've been able to sustain this for as long as they have.  

15 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

It's a double whammy in the sense they really really need a guy like Stralman to play in their top 4, and they just let him go.  Props to Yzerman and the Tampa management to capitalize on NYR's stupidity.  Girardi, Boyle, Klein, and Staal are simply not going to cut it.  Do the Rangers have ANYBODY in their D pipeline?  Like any youth?  I can't believe they've been able to sustain this for as long as they have.  

We also had Stralman before the Rangers and just let him go, are we stupid too?

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

We also had Stralman before the Rangers and just let him go, are we stupid too?

Realistically he came in a and had a decent camp with us, but we're were and remain far deeper in our defensive corps than the Rags.  If you want to debate that the Rags have a stronger defense corps than us now or back then, I'd love to have that discussion.  

This may not be a valid point to make, but the Devils never actually had Stralman under contract, so we never really "had" him.  The Rags signed him after the preseason and he helped take them to the SCF.  THEN Stralman went again with the Lightning last season!  

So no, I don't think we were that stupid, to answer your question.