The AV Chewing Gum Club vs General Hynes ResilientWeAre Crew Feb. 2 GDT

Derek21

6 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Love the classy Broadway blue shirt brah. Makes me happy to think he got heckled and probably into a fight on the train on his way back home.

Yea back to Middletown NJ probably, but that's another story...

very enjoyable game to be at - playoff atmosphere at the rock tonight.

blandisi is a real nice player - i'm not ready to say his gaudreau but he can be a hagelin like player which is something i can't remember the devils having in a long time - a speedy winger that creates matchup issues for most defensemen.

other than him, i didn't see any real standout performances on the positive...other than cory who was magnificent as he's been all year.

gelinas is still terribly terrible. and his stink affects whoever is with him. schlemko, who generally has been pretty solid just seemed to play poorly tonight when he got around 44. I am begging for moore to come back soon but that just pushes helgeson out. we need merrill to push 44 out of the lineup.

boucher's last 2 shifts were good. every shift before that was forgettable. he just can't get himself into scoring situations and therefore, he's pretty useless.

and larsson - for as good as he's been this year, probably had his worst game of the season tonight. he just could not handle the speed outside and got caught flatfooted. he'll never be a fast skater - i agree with others who have said that. but he's gotta get better at recognizing speed and playing it safe when it calls for it to not get his doors blown off and have to take penalties like tonight.

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I'll tell you what, that's the first time I ever remember thinking a timeout (or lack of) made a huge difference in the game. The Rangers were gassed and pretty sloppy at the end. A timeout with :30 to go and an offensive zone face off gets your best line rested and back out there, and gets a play set up.

They were dysfunctional. Sloppy. And that falls on the coach. It's not the first time either. 

1. Eric Gelinas is absolutely awful 5v5. On the second rags goal he looks like how I would look like if I strapped on skates and decided to play. His hockey IQ is so low. Every damn time he is on the ice the opposing team gets at least a quality shot.

2. Call me paranoid but I swear the Rags broadcast turned up the crowd mic when the Rags were in the offensive zone or PP, and absolutely shut down that mic when we threatened on the attack.

3. Schneider is an absolute legend in my book already. What a goaltenderwe have.

Just now, Martyisth3b3st said:

It's board superstition that you make the GDT until you lose. Thursday against the leafs. Don't forget!

Okay. But if they win, I'm gonna take some good natured razzing. :)

17 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Well, kudos to the hungrier Devs. They just wanted it more. All due to the goalie and the coach. Honestly, that's one of the best performances I've seen from a goalie. Give the Vezina to Schneider. He's doing this by himself without a top defenseman either. 

Greene, just saying

1. Eric Gelinas is absolutely awful 5v5. On the second rags goal he looks like how I would look like if I strapped on skates and decided to play. His hockey IQ is so low. Every damn time he is on the ice the opposing team gets at least a quality shot.

2. Call me paranoid but I swear the Rags broadcast turned up the crowd mic when the Rags were in the offensive zone or PP, and absolutely shut down that mic when we threatened on the attack.

3. Schneider is an absolute legend in my book already. What a goaltenderwe have.

On #2

You are absolutely correct, just watched Rangers in 60. Completely amateurish to do that....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only got to catch the first 10 minutes but listened as much as I could at work. I was less bothered by the Rangers/Devils split in the building after I saw a few shots of the whole arena. Someone that was there can correct m if I'm wrong, but it looked like the upper levels were more or less red compared to the split down low.

Just watching the highlight of the last Devils goal, Gelinas was lucky that stick broke and the puck took a favorable Devils roll. Otherwise he's watching Schlemko trying to break up a 2-1 from center ice.

That little scumbag Rangers fan is fantastic. He probably doesn't know a stick from his own two balls, but will get riled up for anything if it's cool enough. I wish this generation of Rangers fans would find another hot ticket event to pretend to give a sh!t about. At least the real fans would be able to afford a ticket, however marginally more tolerable they are.  And Blandisi's celebration was perfect. He felt the energy.

Also, Cory's better.

Awesome game to be at. Gelinas is a total disaster, I would literally take any other guy from Albany and give him Gelinas' roster spot. First goal was all his fault. Of course, he got that one back with the crazy slap shot that set up Stempniak. 

It was the first Devils-Rangers game I've been to in about 10 years, and man, were there a whole lot of Rangers fans in that building. Much more than my last time. But, also unlike my last time, it seemed like everyone was getting along. I have no objection to chanting for your team, etc., but I say no arguments, no fights, no nonsense. 

It was also (I think) my firs time seeing Cory in action, as I didn't get to a game last year. He is amazing, the speed and accuracy with which the guy moves comes across on TV, but even more so in person. Simply amazing. He made a ton of excellent saves, including I think it was McDonough on the breakaway. We would not have been in a position to win without the guy my daughter calls Apple Schnieder. 

Overall, great experience and a great win. It's exactly the kind of game we need to pull out if we are going to attempt the eek into the playoffs. 

Things I (re)learned last night:

1) Devils - Rangers games definitely still have that certain sizzle...more so that any other Devils - X rivalry...especially now that they're both so close to each other in the standings.  I still think eight games a season is too much, but four is definitely not enough. 

2) There was way too much blue there last night.  It sucks having to accept that part of being a Devils fan...that our main rivals will swoop into our building and make their presence felt whenever they feel like it.  I'd like to think it will change one day, but it seems like the only time it will ever appear to will be when the Devils are a top team and the Rangers are lousy.  At the end of the day, there just aren't that many hardcore Devils fans out there...or not enough of them.

3) Admittedly, as I haven't been going to as many games as I used to, I had almost forgotten why I despise most of the Ranger fanbase...but they reminded me last night.  If there was a checklist for "How to Be Beyond Annoying", a lot of Ranger fans could check off every box.  Same lame jokes?  Check.  Lame jokes delivered in shrill and abrasive voice, complete with awful blowhard Noo Yawk accents?  Check.  Thinking every single moment of contact with the opposition deserves a penalty?  Check.  Just sounding dumb in general?  Yep.

As for the game itself...Gelinas...wow.  Truly the Master of Disaster.  Feels like whatever decision he can make is bound to be the worst one.  Awful awful awful.

I barely noticed Boucher yesterday (with the exception of his hit on Klein).  He has only put up two SOG in his last four GP.  And in six out of nine games played at the NHL level this season, he's been held to one shot or less.  Just hope he starts figuring it out up here.  

Blandisi is really fun to watch.  Seven points in his last nine games. 

And of course, Cory...what else can be said about him?  He's been as good of a #1 goalie as there is in the NHL this season.  No small feat considering that some wondered if he could handle a true #1 workload.  Couldn't have asked for a better goalie to follow Marty.  Would love to see Cory win a Vezina, but I'm guessing Crawford or Holtby will win it, based on win totals...sucks in that Cory is clearly playing on a less-talented team that wouldn't be where it is without him, and that he'll be penalized for having less wins through no fault of his own...not his fault that his team is one of the lowest-scoring in the NHL.

1) Devils - Rangers games definitely still have that certain sizzle...more so that any other Devils - X rivalry...especially now that they're both so close to each other in the standings.  I still think eight games a season is too much, but four is definitely not enough. 

2) There was way too much blue there last night.  It sucks having to accept that part of being a Devils fan...that our main rivals will swoop into our building and make their presence felt whenever they feel like it.  I'd like to think it will change one day, but it seems like the only time it will ever appear to will be when the Devils are a top team and the Rangers are lousy.  At the end of the day, there just aren't that many hardcore Devils fans out there...or not enough of them.

3) Admittedly, as I haven't been going to as many games as I used to, I had almost forgotten why I despise most of the Ranger fanbase...but they reminded me last night.  If there was a checklist for "How to Be Beyond Annoying", a lot of Ranger fans could check off every box.  Same lame jokes?  Check.  Lame jokes delivered in shrill and abrasive voice, complete with awful blowhard Noo Yawk accents?  Check.  Thinking every single moment of contact with the opposition deserves a penalty?  Check.  Just sounding dumb in general?  Yep.

As for the game itself...Gelinas...wow.  Truly the Master of Disaster.  Feels like whatever decision he can make is bound to be the worst one.  Awful awful awful.

I barely noticed Boucher yesterday (with the exception of his hit on Klein).  He has only put up two SOG in his last four GP.  And in six out of nine games played at the NHL level this season, he's been held to one shot or less.  Just hope he starts figuring it out up here.  

And of course, Cory...what else can be said about him?  He's been as good of a #1 goalie as there is in the NHL this season.  No small feat considering that some wondered if he could handle a true #1 workload.  Couldn't have asked for a better goalie to follow Marty.  Would love to see Cory win a Vezina, but I'm guessing Crawford or Holtby will win it, based on win totals...sucks in that Cory is clearly playing on a less-talented team that wouldn't be where it is without him, and that he'll be penalized for having less wins through no fault of his own...not his fault that his team is one of the lowest-scoring in the NHL.

If this team makes the playoffs, I think you can make a legit case for Cory for the Hart.

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

3703081c9d842bbf226bef1f8ea71bc8.jpgLmfao, pic of the year right here. [emoji23]

Is it me or does it always seem like Rangers fans go out and get a fresh haircut before every Devils-Rangers game? I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's something I've noticed for years, like 80% of the Rangers fans at a Devils-Rangers game of a certain age (18-35) show up looking like they're ready for a date or a job interview. It's not just a matter of being clean cut, it looks like they *just* got a haircut within the previous 24 hours; like a lot of them. Noticed the same at MSG.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

If this team makes the playoffs, I think you can make a legit case for Cory for the Hart.

You're probably right on that.  They definitely have no chance without him.  Pretty scary to think what would happen if Kinkaid had to be the guy for an extended period (think:  Montreal Canadiens).

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Blandisi goal pic really irked me. You had the Ranger fan with the familiar middle finger right in the shot. That's the type of antagonistic in your face stuff that really irks folks. Honestly I don't remember an Islander fan acting this way in our building, nor have I seen Devils fans behave this way when they see their team in MSG. 

What's there to say about last night:

1) Way too many Rangers fans. There were more there last night than I can remember since 2007-2009 (the Sean Avery era), easily 30-40%. I don't care what anyone's argument is for why they sell their tickets to these games, BUT GROW SOME FREAKING BALLS. These are the games we live for. Devils Facebook groups and Devils Twitter is freaking obsessed with sh!tting on the Rangers all the time, AND THEN NO ONE SHOWS UP. Selling your tickets to these games directly turns the experience of thousands of other loyal Devils fans to sh!t. It was absolutely pathetic last night. What I will say is I'm proud of the fans who were there because they were way louder than usual; I did my best too. Good work guys. Like some others said, it was a playoff atmosphere. But way way way too many Rangers fans, c'mon...

2) Stempniak and Blandisi are just incredible on the forecheck. Stempniak also wins so many battles along the boards, it's uncanny. I don't know how he does it but he always comes away with the puck.

3) Can the Kennedy experiment be over now? He doesn't do anything *bad* but really, he does nothing that Stefan Matteau can't do and we might as well get him in there. Only thing I can think about is that maybe Matteau has a bad attitude or shows lack of work ethic in practice. Something's up...

4) We haven't had a player with Blandisi's skill since maybe Brian Gionta. He's still an uncut diamond so we have some work to do on him, but the raw skill he displays every game despite only being with this team for 12 games (7 points) is very promising. It's scary to think what he'll look like after a full preseason with the team and an offseason of bulking up a bit. It's actually already surprising how he's not really bumped off the puck as much as you'd think; mostly because he avoids players with his speed and skills, no one can pin him down.

5) Schneider is an absolute god-king. It should've easily been 3-0 in the first period. It seemed like 6 or 7 of the Rangers' first 10 shots on goal were high quality scoring chances: 2-on-1s, breakaways, shots from within a couple feet. The Rangers never seemed to recover after that, despite scoring a goal at the beginning of the 3rd; they never came out as dangerous as they looked in the first. Schneider set the tone, maybe got in their heads.

6) The officiating was pretty bad. Either let them play, or call everything on each team. Both teams looked scared to get physical because the refs were so inconsistent. Do not call 2-3 straight penalties on the Devils and then decide a few blatant hooks and holds at the point by the Rangers a few minutes later aren't deserving of penalties. And then later feel compelled to give a makeup call.

6) Lastly, the Rangers are pretty bad. We like to joke around saying "Rangers suck!" and all that, but I haven't seen a Rangers team with this little fight in a long time. I've been seeing some Rangers friends say it for a while, but it looks like they completely lost their will to play for Vigneault. If I were Gorton, I would replace AV yesterday. It is drastic but it seems inevitable, and it is the kind of move with the right timing that would light a fire under their ass and heat them up just as the playoffs are approaching. If they playoffs started today, I'm not sure the Rangers can beat anybody, not even the Isles or Devils. Even if they're playing well, they just don't seem suited to those types of games. They remind me of a slightly worse version of those post-lockout Devils (who were very good in the standings but couldn't beat the Flyers or Rangers if their lives depended on it; and would crash out of the first or second round of the playoffs).

14 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

If I'm an NHL player I skate with my head between my legs the entire time, so nobody is allowed to touch me.

Hit to the head, has to be a penalty

14 hours ago, Zubie#8 said:

Gelinas is a lost duckling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he needs time in Albany, he is so bad when he is not shooting

12 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Eat it Rags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ALL SITUATIONS
  • Shots: 33-25 Rags
  • Corsi: 50-41 Rags
  • Scoring Chances: 31-18 Rags
  • HD Scoring Chances: 10-6 Rags
  • 5 on 5
  • Shots: 24-18 Rags
  • Corsi: 35-29 Rags
  • Scoring Chances: 20-11 Rags
  • HD Scoring Chances: 7-3 Rags

exactly why I ignore  these advanced stats!!

Corey is freakin King!!

Blandisi & Boucher are earning their keep and while Farnham can be trouble his speed is troublesome for many defenses!

L:ast night was a fun game