Nico or Nolan

caron14

Major update here.

Nolan Patrick is in Montreal. He will meet the medecine staff of the Habs...

Are the Habs willing to trade for the 1 overall pick? Or do they think we get hischier and want to trade with the Flyers?

could make sense for us... we have zajac henrique zacha mcleod at center depth... they have nothing at center.

interesting target for us...

Sergachev and Galchenyuk.

Although I have argued several times in favor of Patrick (and still feel this way), I am going to be so excited with either player. I do not believe that ether of these guys is considered "weak" for top 2 draft picks, despite what many people have said. It really wasn't that long ago that I was living in some kind of Lou bubble, where I would get high hopes about the idea of having Scott Gomez's return add to our offense, or Sergey Kalinin to be the top 6 player we needed, or even Rostislav Olesz to be an impact player (this all dates back to when Lou brought Arnott back). Compare that to present-day Devils where we've got a 1 overall pick, and some quality (projected) top 6 forwards coming up in Zacha and McLeod, maybe Quenneville and Speers too, eventually. It's sometimes easy to lose sight of it, but this team has come a long way in the last few years, even if we haven't seen the effects just yet.

2 hours ago, caron14 said:

Major update here.

Nolan Patrick is in Montreal. He will meet the medecine staff of the Habs...

Are the Habs willing to trade for the 1 overall pick? Or do they think we get hischier and want to trade with the Flyers?

could make sense for us... we have zajac henrique zacha mcleod at center depth... they have nothing at center.

interesting target for us...

Sergachev and Galchenyuk.

This isn't really a big update at all.. you know that Patrick was set to meet with 13 different teams right? And Hischier to meet with 14

11 hours ago, nessus said:

Although I have argued several times in favor of Patrick (and still feel this way), I am going to be so excited with either player. I do not believe that ether of these guys is considered "weak" for top 2 draft picks, despite what many people have said. It really wasn't that long ago that I was living in some kind of Lou bubble, where I would get high hopes about the idea of having Scott Gomez's return add to our offense, or Sergey Kalinin to be the top 6 player we needed, or even Rostislav Olesz to be an impact player (this all dates back to when Lou brought Arnott back). Compare that to present-day Devils where we've got a 1 overall pick, and some quality (projected) top 6 forwards coming up in Zacha and McLeod, maybe Quenneville and Speers too, eventually. It's sometimes easy to lose sight of it, but this team has come a long way in the last few years, even if we haven't seen the effects just yet.

This is very much how I feel as well.   At the time of those signings I like to think I knew better and realistically knew that those guys weren't the answer and long-term pieces, and maybe it was really just a matter of me trying to be positive with what was happening with the team, especially since, you know, me, and everyone else here, doesn't actually have control or power to run the team as we would see fit, but I do have to admit that I too was excited and "in the Lou bubble" so to speak, about those transactions.   I thought Olesz was a good player in Florida, and was optimistic about him being part of our top 6.  I remembered what Gomez had done for us earlier in his career, and hoped he would step in and do the same thing.   

I'm not saying it's always bad to bring in veterans, or even players who were on your team in the past, but like you, I also like the direction the team is headed now, and the youth and different make-up of the team in contrast to what it was 5-10 years ago is both exciting and refreshing.

• Like 1

To get a sense of what is offered for the first pick in a non-McDavid/Matthews type draft, Philly, in 2014, reportedly offered the Schenn brothers Wayne Simmonds, maybe number 16 overall and two cap dumps to trade up draft Ekblad.  Tallon reportedly said the offer was "very tempting" but he passed.  Remember that some people were close to calling Brayden Schenn a disappointment.

So ultimately, I get the sense that teams will low-ball for the pick, which is why it won't be traded.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

To get a sense of what is offered for the first pick in a non-McDavid/Matthews type draft, Philly, in 2014, reportedly offered the Schenn brothers Wayne Simmonds, maybe number 16 overall and two cap dumps to trade up draft Ekblad.  Tallon reportedly said the offer was "very tempting" but he passed.  Remember that some people were close to calling Brayden Schenn a disappointment.

So ultimately, I get the sense that teams will low-ball for the pick, which is why it won't be traded.

While not necessarily an overpayment, that doesn't seem like a lowball either.  Brayden's a pretty damn good #2 Center, Simmonds is a pretty damn good #2 RW, Luke is kinda meh, I don't know who/what that #16 overall pick turned out to be but that always has potential, and then when you add the two salary dumps on top of that, it's not really low ball by any means if you ask me.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

While not necessarily an overpayment, that doesn't seem like a lowball either.  Brayden's a pretty damn good #2 Center, Simmonds is a pretty damn good #2 RW, Luke is kinda meh, I don't know who/what that #16 overall pick turned out to be but that always has potential, and then when you add the two salary dumps on top of that, it's not really low ball by any means if you ask me.

16th overall pick was Travis Sandheim, who hasn't played in the NHL yet but people are pretty high on. 

Just now, Daniel said:

16th overall pick was Travis Sandheim, who hasn't played in the NHL yet but people are pretty high on. 

Gotcha.  So yeah...how is that a lowball?  Almost seems like an overpayment to me.  Three players, two of whom are quite good, a first rounder who in your words people have high hopes for, and two other I assume prospect type guys or players with less-than-favorable contracts is a bad offer for the #1 overall pick in a "non-generational" talent draft?

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Gotcha.  So yeah...how is that a lowball?  Almost seems like an overpayment to me.  Three players, two of whom are quite good, a first rounder who in your words people have high hopes for, and two other I assume prospect type guys or players with less-than-favorable contracts is a bad offer for the #1 overall pick in a "non-generational" talent draft?

The expectation in any draft is that whoever you're drafting number 1 overall will be a franchise player, i.e. first pairing defensemen or first line forward, even if it's not a generational player.  Sixteen could very well turn out to be someone who doesn't play more than 100 games in the NHL, and there's a good chance that the guy you might be targeting will be gone by then.  Brayden Schenn is sort of like a Henrique-type at this point.  And Simmons is the type of player, based on how he plays and that he's not the most skilled guy in the world, whose production can fall off quickly at any time, especially if he's playing on another team.   I wouldn't take that package for Taylor Hall, who you have to worry about retaining at a sizable dollar figure in the next couple of years. 

18 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Since the Devils were so kind as to make a nice little poster of the combine results, I'll post it here: 

And here's the link to the top 25 in each category in case anyone is interested:

https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/

Looking at those numbers makes me feel better about what I can do in the gym as someone who goes above casual but below gym rat. To be fair I'm probably 20 to 30 lbs less then most of those guys and older but still... where was I go with this?

Edited by roomtemp

2 minutes ago, roomtemp said:

Looking at those numbers makes me feel better about what I can do in the gym as someone who goes above casual but below gym rat. To be fair I'm probably 20 to 30 lbs less then most of those guys and older but still... where was I go with this?

You were about to post some sweet gym mirror selfies.

• Like 1

Wow, Nico's pretty weak in the chest, lol.  So basically he can bench 122 lbs. (70% of 174 lbs) just seven times.  I know he's not supposed to be a body builder and probably hasn't messed with weights all that much (also still very young), but that just seems so...light.  Surprisingly so...I'd almost assume that most of these guys could, at minimum, bench their body weight for 8-12 reps. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I was Team Nolan from the lottery until two weeks ago.

In Mid-May, I changed my mind to Nico.

After the combine, I'm back to Nolan. Just due to the fact that he was able to participate in everything and he played the whole season with a second sports hernia and still produced like a champ.

Whenever I envision the Devils taking the other, I get disappointed for half a second and then realize we're getting a stud either way!