2017-2018 Prospects Thread

Derlique

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:49 PM, Marshall said:

Are you surprised guys who are vying for NHL roster spots tear it up when they go down two levels?

In the regular season + playoffs in the OHL last season, McLeod put up 38 goals and 62 assists for 100 points in 77 GP, and is now the fourth-oldest player on his team...he'll be 20 on 2/3/2018.  Sadly we're not going to learn a thing about McLeod this season...he's going to shred it in the O this year.   

Prospect write-up on Reilly Walsh:  https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/11/27/16705852/eye-on-the-future-reilly-walsh?utm_campaign=sbncollegehockey&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

And this week's prospects review from AATJ:  https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2017/11/28/16707706/new-jersey-devils-prospect-update-11-28-17

ETA: One more prospect update in case you're interested:  https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/7g60li/devils_prospects_update_1128/

ETA #2: Zharkie sighting! From the reddit article: Nikita Popugaev has been chugging along in the Russian 2nd division of professional hockey, but recently made his KHL debut for CSKA Moscow, where he's playing mostly 4th line minutes on the same line as former Devil, Vladimir Zharkov.

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Prospect write-up on Reilly Walsh:  https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/11/27/16705852/eye-on-the-future-reilly-walsh?utm_campaign=sbncollegehockey&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

And this week's prospects review from AATJ:  https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2017/11/28/16707706/new-jersey-devils-prospect-update-11-28-17

ETA: One more prospect update in case you're interested:  https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/7g60li/devils_prospects_update_1128/

ETA #2: Zharkie sighting! From the reddit article: Nikita Popugaev has been chugging along in the Russian 2nd division of professional hockey, but recently made his KHL debut for CSKA Moscow, where he's playing mostly 4th line minutes on the same line as former Devil, Vladimir Zharkov.

Some things that were nice to see:

McLeod has 5 points in 5 games since returning to Mississauga. That'll certainly go up quite a bit once he finds his groove.

Studenic has been producing a lot since his slow start. I don't remember exactly what it was but I think he was at less than 0.5 points per game at around the 10 game mark, and now has 20 points in 24 games.

Looks like Boqvist is healthy! I've been anxious to follow his progress this year.

Some of the D in the system are really producing a lot offensively (Sissons, Chainey, Davies)

43 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

do any of them have size AND speed?  it looks like our defense needs to be fixed via the draft

I agree. Walsh and Davies are not small, but they definitely are not big guys either. Of all the guys in the system, I feel best about Yegor Rykov, who has size and speed, but has not produced much offensively, despite being on the best team in the KHL. This is not true for other leagues he has played in, as well as international competitions, where he has been able to contribute offensively. He is under contract with SKA St. Petersburg through 2018-19. Hopefully by then he will have rounded out his game and will be ready and willing to join the Devils.

Prelim rosters are starting to come out for the World Juniors, Devils prospects named to prelim rosters so far:

Canada:
C Michael McLeod (2016, R1)

USA:
RW Joey Anderson (2016, R3)
D Reilly Walsh (2017, R3)

Russia:
F Mikhail Maltsev (2016, R4)
D Yegor Zaitsev (2017, R7)

Sweden:
C Jesper Boqvist (2017, R2)
C/RW Fabian Zetterlund (2017, R3)

Guys I would also expect to get prelim nods at the very least would be Marian Studenic for Slovakia, Jesper Boqvist and Fabian Zetterlund for Sweden, and McLeod should be a lock to make Team Canada as either the 1st or 2nd line center. Surprised Aarne Talvitie didn't get a nod for Finland, thought he had a strong case to make the team.

EDIT: Boqvist and Zetterlund both named to Sweden's Prelim roster as I thought they would, McLeod named to Canada

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

so that Jacob Mcdonald guy in Binghamton that they mentioned during the game last night. 21 pts (9 goals, 12 assists) in 20 games as a Dman. 24 years old. 

Does he have any NHL potential? Would be great to have another dude popping out of nowhere to help the blue line in a near future. 

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

so that Jacob Mcdonald guy in Binghamton that they mentioned during the game last night. 21 pts (9 goals, 12 assists) in 20 games as a Dman. 24 years old. 

Does he have any NHL potential? Would be great to have another dude popping out of nowhere to help the blue line in a near future. 

I honestly don't know much about him, only time I've seen him play was at the development camps over the summer and he didn't stick out too much for me. Sounds like his biggest asset is his point shot, so if he ever becomes an NHL level defenseman it seems like it might be in the mold of someone like Jason Garrison.

4 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I honestly don't know much about him, only time I've seen him play was at the development camps over the summer and he didn't stick out too much for me. Sounds like his biggest asset is his point shot, so if he ever becomes an NHL level defenseman it seems like it might be in the mold of someone like Jason Garrison.

or Eric Gelinas... ugh

he had a great rush / goal on this play though

Edited by SterioDesign

So forgive me if this isn't the right place to post this, as I guess he's technically not a prospect anymore since he made the NHL roster, but I saw that the Devils are not going to permit Bratt to play in the world juniors.

An obvious decision in my mind, no brainer for the Devils, but will there be any backlash/blowback from the hockey community on this?  Or is this pretty much par for the course with elite young talent?

25 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So forgive me if this isn't the right place to post this, as I guess he's technically not a prospect anymore since he made the NHL roster, but I saw that the Devils are not going to permit Bratt to play in the world juniors.

An obvious decision in my mind, no brainer for the Devils, but will there be any backlash/blowback from the hockey community on this?  Or is this pretty much par for the course with elite young talent?

This is par for the course, it's rare an NHL team gives up a good young player for the World Juniors, though it never stops international teams from asking

6 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

So, how good are Reilly Walsh and Joey Anderson? Saw on MSG they made the final cuts for the WJC for the US. How good are these guys? College players right? Those always scare me a little lol...

Will Butcher says hi... :P

For those of you that like such things, NHL Network is showing a junior game between Barrie and Oshawa starting right now.   Barrie has the Russian kid that’s supposed to go #2 in the upcoming draft.  Svechnikov (sp?)

its also the teddy bear toss game which is always cool if you’ve never seen it.   All fans bring a bear to the game and throw it on the ice after 1st goal by the home team.  They get collected and go to charity.   

20 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

So, how good are Reilly Walsh and Joey Anderson? Saw on MSG they made the final cuts for the WJC for the US. How good are these guys? College players right? Those always scare me a little lol...

Pretty big difference between guys who sign after 1 or 2 years compared to those who wait until they're UFA.

• Like 1

Couldn't find a Bingo 17/18 thread, so I'll ask here: what's up with Jacob MacDonald in Binghamton? 4 years at Cornell, now 24, LHD, 110 ECHL games but since middle of last season in Albany and now in Bingo. 46 points in 57 AHL games, 22 in 22 this season. Point production makes him seem pretty interesting, and since he's on an AHL deal he can be signed by any NHL team to a contract. Why haven't the Devils done it? Currently at 45 SPC so there's room. 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=60064

15 hours ago, Marshall said:

Couldn't find a Bingo 17/18 thread, so I'll ask here: what's up with Jacob MacDonald in Binghamton? 4 years at Cornell, now 24, LHD, 110 ECHL games but since middle of last season in Albany and now in Bingo. 46 points in 57 AHL games, 22 in 22 this season. Point production makes him seem pretty interesting, and since he's on an AHL deal he can be signed by any NHL team to a contract. Why haven't the Devils done it? Currently at 45 SPC so there's room. 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=60064

I believe if he were signed to an NHL deal now he'd immediately be subject to waivers because of his age and experience.

• Like 1