GDT: Devils @ Rags - 12/9, 7pm

devlman

Salvador yesterday: "The team is too soft."

Hynes today, "The team is too soft."

The whole board "The team is too soft."

The whole world, "The team is too soft."

Daneyko, "You know sometimes it's not anything your team is doing wrong, the opposing teams just deserve credit for doing things right."

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Salvador yesterday: "The team is too soft."

Hynes today, "The team is too soft."

The whole board "The team is too soft."

The whole world, "The team is too soft."

Daneyko, "You know sometimes it's not anything your team is doing wrong, the opposing teams just deserve credit for doing things right."

And that's why I cringe every time he opens his mouth. Most color guys are clueless homers and he fits the mold. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Disagree with most of the recap, I must of watched a different game. Luck had nothing to do with it, there was stink all over this one from top to bottom. The defense and those playing it were and are often dreadful. They run out of talent more often than not. 

I never said we were unlucky tonight.  I said we didn't get any breaks tonight.

Vesey hit the same post Johansson hit.  One puck went in, the other did not.  Bad break.
Zuccarello stopping that puck along the goal line. Bad break.

The defense is often hung out to dry because they get zero help.  It's not a talent issue, it's a system issue.

Hynes has to start taking heat for this sh!t. 7 straight games we've been outshot in a game.  Defensemen running around like headless chickens; making bonehead decisions and plays. Forwards not covering the right men. We are AWFUL in our own zone! Hynes can't continue like this; modify the damn system and/or punish players for these mistakes already!

9 minutes ago, devlman said:

Hynes has to start taking heat for this sh!t. 7 straight games we've been outshot in a game.  Defensemen running around like headless chickens; making bonehead decisions and plays. Forwards not covering the right men. We are AWFUL in our own zone! Hynes can't continue like this; modify the damn system and/or punish players for these mistakes already!

How do you want him to punish the players? Bench half of the team? Because half of them need to sit, not just Zacha. 

From my albeit very limited viewings of Vatanen in Anaheim, I remember him as a faster, more dynamic skater. Hopefully he is still working his way back from his injury, if he doesn't pick it up he will be a disappointment.

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie

45 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

From my albeit very limited viewings of Vatanen in Anaheim, I remember him as a faster, more dynamic skater. Hopefully he is still working his way back from his injury, if he doesn't pick it up he will be a disappointment.

Considering Rico was most popular Devil on the active roster, he was already going to have every play under a microscope. He made one noticeable mistake tonight, of losing a bouncing puck on sh!tty MSG ice, and everyone is all in convinced he sucks/blows. It takes 500 solid minutes to convince people you're doing well, it only takes one mistake to convince them all hate you. Pretty standard for hockey fans to be the "what have you done for me lately" type. 

On another note, I haven't noticed Moore a whole lot lately... So that must mean he's playing pretty well because usually I'm face-palming a couple plays a game from him. 

5 hours ago, devlman said:

We kinda knew that the Devils were going to have a tough time on defense...and they will likely continue with the current personnel.  I do like that Hynes was so ticked off though.

Always sucks losing to the Rangers for sure, but I feel like this team has earned a little leeway.  Yes, the last two losses were disappointing.  But they've avoided the big slump to this point, and they have beaten a lot of good teams.  I just can't get as high and low and as hypercritical with this team as some fans are getting, especially since it's not a finished product.  The mistakes and growing pains and occasional ugliness and "We still have a ways to go" reminders that come with a team like this were to be expected.  Doesn't mean that it can't be frustrating to watch...just that destroying them for it seems kind of pointless.

Nice homestand coming up, hope they can work on some of their flaws.  Sounds like Hynes is going to be very hard on them in practices to come.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

6 more games till the Xmas break.  53 games left in the season.  This season was going to be about building and learning and staying in this.  It's a shame that after the win in Columbus and despite a horrible 2nd period on Friday, they let weekend sort of slip away. Tied into the 3rd at home, you'd have liked points there.  But that happens over 82 games, to every team.  What can't happen is having the season slip away because of it.  The Rangers started Lundqvist 2 straight nights because they said in pre-game quotes that Saturday was a big game.  Columbus had a non-scheduled practice because of their performance on Tuesday and treated Friday as a big game.  

Now the Devils need to finish this stretch strong and treat Tuesday like a big game. .  They have shown that they can play way better than this weekend.  Clean up the screw-ups and play hard.  There is still a lot of season left.  It's on the coaches and players to get this straightened out.  They have 9 losses with no points.  Does every team declare the world is coming to an end with each loss?  The Isles have 10 losses.  Columbus has 10 losses.  This is still an improving, evolving team.  And over the long haul of an 82 game season, teams lose games.  I think they will have a good 6 games till the Holidays.  I believe this group won't let things go sideways.

They can clean this up.

• Like 3

Can't teach toughness so I don't think that problem gets solved any time soon.

I don't think the sky is falling but I think the reality that we have a l o n g way to go to be any kind of serious contender is becoming more evident and most alarming is the old dead weight. 

9 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

The defense is often hung out to dry because they get zero help.  It's not a talent issue, it's a system issue.

you seem to indicate these are mutually exclusive, they are not.. getting to the puck and blocking your man off, chipping the puck out etc etc HORRIBLE

Edited by EdgeControl

bratt is a minus 5 in his last 4 games, and our top lines shooting metrics are plummeting.. outside of the CBJ explosion they just dont finish enough

and forget the 2nd line hynes hasnt found one, we need palms

stafford was a decent gamble on a gun slinger looking to revive his career,, but it didnt work out

the blueprint is now, HIT THE DEVILS everywhere, the other is be quick to  the puck dump and under cut the winger on that typical swing pass around the boards.. its so simple, the basics  our small Dmen are getting killed deep were not going to out score too many teams like we did early

the good news is that even with these issues we are still going head to head with the leagues top teams, the bad news is there are a bunch of good teams now  sorry hynes but you put together a soft defense, now youre complaining that theyre soft look in the mirror

• Like 1

you know that quote from Marilyn Monroe... "I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” Well there's a whole lot of fans here that won't deserve the good times they'll have in a few years when our team is successful. 

I already said this before but we were NOT supposed to be great this year, we KNEW our dcorp wasn't great. We KNEW we likely wouldnt make the playoffs.. and now were in playoffs position which we should be fvcking thankful that we had so many great fun games from this group and its legit looking up for us. But nope, instead of realizing that we overachieved a bit and be happy about it so many posters are already entitled and killing every players and the coaches after a loss as if it's not normal that we suck. I get that were all mad and frustrated and that criticism is fair but jesus christ calm down. Our own GM is not even trying to make the playoffs he's trying to build a good team that will have an impact in the playoffs in a few years, the position we're in right now we're ahead of schedule and people are still not happy. Ask yourself exactly how entitled you are for fun lol 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

you know that quote from Marilyn Monroe... "I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” Well there's a whole lot of fans here that won't deserve the good times they'll have in a few when our team is successful. 

Hey, we are here thick and thin! no fair weathers on this board.. what did you do to the real sterio??? LMAO

Edited by EdgeControl