2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

53 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Again, based on what? You’re coming to a lot of conclusions with nothing to support them. 

Based on what looks to be missing out on top free agents. I don't know why you need further supporting evidence for a simple opinion on a message board. A lot of us were hoping for one of Tavares or Carlson. Doesn't look like either will happen. Sucks. Full stop. What are these other conclusions that you need corroborating evidence for?

25 minutes ago, devlman said:

Based on what looks to be missing out on top free agents. I don't know why you need further supporting evidence for a simple opinion on a message board. A lot of us were hoping for one of Tavares or Carlson. Doesn't look like either will happen. Sucks. Full stop. What are these other conclusions that you need corroborating evidence for?

well the 5 teams are not officially known just yet, only rumoured. Who knows. We might be on his list.

So it looks very unlikely but until something is official well there's still a tiny bit of hope

57 minutes ago, devlman said:

A lot of people on this site just make things up and state them like they are facts. Tavares hasn’t signed with anyone and is meeting with 5 teams. There’s reports of Carlson signing, he hasn’t signed yet. I was curious if you had any real information that brought you to those conclusions, other than rumors being reported. 

Clearly you don’t, and that’s fine. Just wanted to know if you knew something I didn’t. 

58 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

A lot of people on this site just make things up and state them like they are facts. Tavares hasn’t signed with anyone and is meeting with 5 teams. There’s reports of Carlson signing, he hasn’t signed yet. I was curious if you had any real information that brought you to those conclusions, other than rumors being reported. 

Clearly you don’t, and that’s fine. Just wanted to know if you knew something I didn’t. 

Besides Tavares' list of 5 being speculated on by multiple outlets, Carlson literally saying he is close to re-signing in DC, and me saying 'it looks like' we won't land either player, there should be no confusion that I was stating an opinion - and one based on info already brought up in this thread and not just from rumors.

I understand all the teams mentioned in the TJ rumors except Dallas. Are they a John Tavares or even a Tavares +1-2 pieces from making a deep run in the playoffs? I don't see it unless he just thinks he'd like to live/play in Dallas. Tampa would have to sign him short term, at a discount, or accept their team will be gutted next year to keep the dude unless they move a major piece. They have like 3-4 guys to re-up in 2019.

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

Besides Tavares' list of 5 being speculated on by multiple outlets, Carlson literally saying he is close to re-signing in DC, and me saying 'it looks like' we won't land either player, there should be no confusion that I was stating an opinion - and one based on info already brought up in this thread and not just from rumors.

Never expected to get either, doesn't seem like a thing the gm does.  Not disappointed in the least in something that doesn't really kick off until July 1.   I'd rather him not overspend on them and give that money to hall (if tavares has an offer of 11mil on the table already, I expect hall to get more).

I think he's doing fine so far

42 minutes ago, devlman said:

I draw the opposite conclusion about JT. The fact that the Isles offered $88m doesn’t change that, everyone expected that. I’ve heard nothing to make me believe he will accept. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I draw the opposite conclusion about JT. The fact that the Isles offered $88m doesn’t change that, everyone expected that. I’ve heard nothing to make me believe he will accept. 

Right but if he signs anywhere not Long Island, it's looking as if it's very likely not here either

12 minutes ago, devlman said:

Right but if he signs anywhere not Long Island, it's looking as if it's very likely not here either

Again, based on what? What are you basing that opinion on, as we don’t know who the 5 teams are?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Again, based on what? What are you basing that opinion on, as we don’t know who the 5 teams are?

Sportsnet, ESPN, TSN have reported the same set of teams. I can't tell you what they're basing that on but I assume it's not just made up.

I hadn’t heard any reports when I asked. I’ve heard them now. 

The list makes clear what he’s looking for. He wants to win now. He’s not interested in building a team, which is why he won’t be coming to NJ.

So, if he’s out, and Carlson is out, are there any other UFA’s worth our attention?

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I hadn’t heard any reports when I asked. I’ve heard them now. 

The list makes clear what he’s looking for. He wants to win now. He’s not interested in building a team, which is why he won’t be coming to NJ.

So, if he’s out, and Carlson is out, are there any other UFA’s worth our attention?

I personally think Calvin DeHaan would be a solid pickup provided he is healthy.  

• Like 1

Bob McKenzie: John Carlson’s extension with WSH is not done, not yet anyway and UFA shopping period has begun. So, now what? Carlson’s agent Rick Curran: “As of the moment we do not have a deal in place with Washington and as permitted, I am getting/taking calls from other interested teams.”

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1010895454303870976

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Bob McKenzie: John Carlson’s extension with WSH is not done, not yet anyway and UFA shopping period has begun. So, now what? Carlson’s agent Rick Curran: “As of the moment we do not have a deal in place with Washington and as permitted, I am getting/taking calls from other interested teams.”

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1010895454303870976

I'm at least a little more optimistic he is not going to stay with the Capitals. The Metro is quickly becoming more and more of a bitch and we haven't even hit 1 July...

Carlson staying with the Capitals is fine for us.  He's going to be very expensive.  That's the hope for the Devils in the future - Washington and Pittsburgh getting older and more expensive.  Although I must say I don't see any inept franchises in our division whereas I look to the other one and see several...

29 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

all i want is at LEAST that both players gets a pitch from Shero and Hynes. He seem to be some kind of magician

It will be more interesting to see what happens when the obvious avenues are exhausted. I can't see Shero not doing anything to make the team better this year and with all the obvious moves made it's going to have to be Shero MagicTM that gets it done. It would also be interesting to see how things shake out in WAS if Carlson did not re-sign there after they made a move just to drop cap to try to keep him.

Some hockey rumors guy said the Devils are one of the teams speaking with Carlson but dude's twitter account is "hockey rumors" so take it as such. 

Anyway...  David Pagnotta‏ @TheFourthPeriod

Calvin de Haan has received significant interest from upwards of 10 teams so far. He’ll be a very popular guy leading up to July 1.