2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

5 hours ago, jagknife said:

Biz needs to shut the fvck up in interviews lately. I haven’t listened to Friday’s, but the dude jumps in to get a one-liner in and ruins stories or trains of thought by the guests. It’s only started to happen in the last few, but it was either Luc or Edmundson that was on a roll of a good story, Biz tried to crack a sh!t joke, and the guy lost where he was going.

having Opie flashbacks

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Off-topic but it’s summer, and since we have so many Back to the Future fans here, I figured I’d post this: https://pix11.com/2018/08/13/back-to-the-future-cast-reunites-and-michael-j-foxs-photo-is-everything/

I'm flying to meet them in 16 days. I'm beyond excited. Will be getting a professional photo op with the 4, then one with Fox and Thompson by myself (i already had one with Doc + the Delorean) and i'm still debating what im getting signed. I have a huge BTTF collection so it's hard to pick

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Okay, not physical. Call it what you want. He is used as net front presence and is relied upon to help control that hard fought area around the net and be a presence there. He was bad in that area. 

It's still okay to be critical of a guy's play. Being critical doesn't mean you're automatically unsympathetic. 

Hopefully putting a good portion of his fight behind him (I could not remotely handle it like he did....), he can concentrate more on his game and his role on the team, bringing real leadership for the younger guys.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

having Opie flashbacks

Heh heh, to me he was always the guy with minimal talent, but never seemed to realize it, and always came off like he thought he was so much cooler and way more of a badass than he really was (Craig Carton Syndrome)...the more you heard him reveal about himself on air, the more you realized that he was really kind of a crotchety d*ck.  I remember one show when Anthony was basically growing tired of Opie's crappy moods and decided to call him out on it on air, Opie muttered something about quitting soon (he didn't, though behind the scenes Opie and Anthony weren't really getting along anymore...that wasn't really known at the time)...Anthony retorted with something along the lines of "What are you going to do?  Go back to spinning records?"  That really got Opie, but let's face it, Opie - Anthony = Spuds Buckley.  Opie was at least smart enough to surround himself with funny and talented people.  He was always a bit of a glorified board op to me.

15 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Off-topic but it’s summer, and since we have so many Back to the Future fans here, I figured I’d post this: https://pix11.com/2018/08/13/back-to-the-future-cast-reunites-and-michael-j-foxs-photo-is-everything/

Still waiting for those flying cars and programmable weather...and a Pit Bull hoverboard...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Ok.  Who the hell is RA? lol

And there's BTTF conventions?  Holy God

They're referencing a hockey podcast called Spittin' Chiclets run by Ryan Whitney and a guy from Barstool Sports (Boston) who they call RA (Rear Admiral).  It's a pretty great "pod".  It's growing pretty fast it seems.  I didn't know so many people on here listened to it.  Some pretty great stories are told and I think Taylor Hall was a guest just before he won the Hart or maybe it was before the season started.  Paul Bissonette was a guest a bunch of times and they invited him to join the show.  I kind agree with some of the critiques I've heard here.  Biz is definitely not a good one man show or one-on-one interviewer, better to have the entire cast sit with the interviewee.  

If you have an hour to kill, it's good listening.  My buddy and I have a running inside "Babcock? fvck Mike Babcock" joke because of the show.    

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Game 4 of the ‘95 Finals is on NHL Network right now. Ah, what a night that was!

Yep, as many here know, I turned 25 that day...and it's really fvcking hard to believe that another 25 years have almost gone by since that lovely night.  I've had MANY great tailgating experiences, but that one was still the best.  So much happiness, anticipation, and camaraderie...no one felt like a stranger that night, and people that you know would NEVER get along otherwise acted like best buds.  I'll never forget it, any of it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yep, as many here know, I turned 25 that day...and it's really fvcking hard to believe that another 25 years have almost gone by since that lovely night.  I've had MANY great tailgating experiences, but that one was still the best.  So much happiness, anticipation, and camaraderie...no one felt like a stranger that night, and people that you know would NEVER get along otherwise acted like best buds.  I'll never forget it, any of it.

Watching this game brings back so many amazing memories... I was 16 years old at the time, and had been a Devils fan since I was six, so I had 10 years invested in the team by ‘95. I started attending games with my parents in 1985, and to that point attended tons and tons of games over the years, and had experienced every high point and heartbreak the franchise had gone through, including the soul-crushing loss to the Rags the year before. Winning that first Cup was sheer exctasy as a fan. I cried tears of joy. I’ll never forget how that felt. 

@EdmontonOilers    #Oilers d-man Andrej Sekera underwent successful surgery today to repair a torn Achilles tendon. Sekera was injured during an off-season training session & will be sidelined indefinitely.

And from NHL.com:  Ryan Ellis signs eight-year extension with Predators - Defenseman to get $50 million, could have been UFA after this season

The contract has an average annual value of $6.25 million and starts with the 2019-20 NHL season. Ellis has one season remaining on a five-year, $12.5 million contract he signed Oct. 5, 2014 ($2.5 million AAV). The 27-year-old defenseman could have become an unrestricted free agent July 1, 2019.

6 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

They're referencing a hockey podcast called Spittin' Chiclets run by Ryan Whitney and a guy from Barstool Sports (Boston) who they call RA (Rear Admiral).  It's a pretty great "pod".  It's growing pretty fast it seems.  I didn't know so many people on here listened to it.  Some pretty great stories are told and I think Taylor Hall was a guest just before he won the Hart or maybe it was before the season started.  Paul Bissonette was a guest a bunch of times and they invited him to join the show.  I kind agree with some of the critiques I've heard here.  Biz is definitely not a good one man show or one-on-one interviewer, better to have the entire cast sit with the interviewee.  

If you have an hour to kill, it's good listening.  My buddy and I have a running inside "Babcock? fvck Mike Babcock" joke because of the show.    

I think Hallsy was last summer, right around when they had Kevin Hayes and Jimmy Vesey. If I’m right, it was July timeframe.

Absolutely about Biz. He’s good when there’s a group doing the interviews and someone like RA or Grinelli can keep him in check, otherwise he gets so excited to share a similar anectdote, he jumps all over the guests. Did it this week again with both Boyle and Redden

On 8/13/2018 at 1:53 PM, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I don’t know how you can listen to RA ramble on about how the Marchand hate is only because of the insane “anti bias” towards Boston sports and how “every team in the league has 5 Marchands” and still listen to a word he says. Every time I listen I hope he chokes on his tongue. 

If I remember correctly, RA and the gang sh!t all over Marchand this year for all of his antics, including the MoJo hit

Some interesting quotes from Schneider on the All Access Podcast (article by Chris Ryan): 

https://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2018/08/how_long_did_hip_injury_bother_devils_cory_schneid.html

"It was something that had kind of cropped maybe a year and a half ago, a season and a half ago," Schneider said on the podcast. "It's just something that nags and it there, but you don't ever feel like it's bad enough that you need to sit out for six months, because there's no real good time to do it, unfortunately."

"In consultation with trainers and doctors, and just some of the other issues I had going on in that area, we felt by fixing this, it could hopefully, make me feel better, and give me more mobility that I kind of forgot I'd had over the last year or two," he said. "But sort of settle everything else down and kind of put everything else in equilibrium in terms of how things are feeling. The doctor went in, did a great job and he was pretty happy with it, saying that it was a pretty good idea to get it done. He was pretty excited about how I should feel coming off of it."

Other goalies have played at a high level following the type of surgery Schneider had. Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne had the same surgery in May of 2013, and he was one year younger than Schneider at the time of the surgery.

Rinne has played at an elite level in the years following the surgery, and he won the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top goalie in 2017-18.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed, my friend

Some interesting quotes from Schneider on the All Access Podcast (article by Chris Ryan): 
https://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2018/08/how_long_did_hip_injury_bother_devils_cory_schneid.html
"It was something that had kind of cropped maybe a year and a half ago, a season and a half ago," Schneider said on the podcast. "It's just something that nags and it there, but you don't ever feel like it's bad enough that you need to sit out for six months, because there's no real good time to do it, unfortunately."
"In consultation with trainers and doctors, and just some of the other issues I had going on in that area, we felt by fixing this, it could hopefully, make me feel better, and give me more mobility that I kind of forgot I'd had over the last year or two," he said. "But sort of settle everything else down and kind of put everything else in equilibrium in terms of how things are feeling. The doctor went in, did a great job and he was pretty happy with it, saying that it was a pretty good idea to get it done. He was pretty excited about how I should feel coming off of it."
Other goalies have played at a high level following the type of surgery Schneider had. Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne had the same surgery in May of 2013, and he was one year younger than Schneider at the time of the surgery.
Rinne has played at an elite level in the years following the surgery, and he won the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top goalie in 2017-18.

Any goalie coming off surgery is a bit iffy.  Worked for rinee.... on the other hand ask dipietro how surgery worked for him and it's a different story.

Both ahl goalies aren't close to being a backup as of now, though 1 will have to be by trade deadline or next season as kks contract ends after this season and will want a starters role (imo he gets one).   

I can see one of our goalies going to LI (odds are its kk, but lou might want cory should he get back to normal)

15 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

Any goalie coming off surgery is a bit iffy.  Worked for rinee.... on the other hand ask dipietro how surgery worked for him and it's a different story.

Both ahl goalies aren't close to being a backup as of now, though 1 will have to be by trade deadline or next season as kks contract ends after this season and will want a starters role (imo he gets one).   

I can see one of our goalies going to LI (odds are its kk, but lou might want cory should he get back to normal)

Contract year for KK, he has to prove he's that good to the world. Hopefully he's as good as last 15 games that got us into the playoffs.  Lack isn't the worst we can have back there until Schneids comes back.  In fact, I think Corey has more to prove than Kinkaid this year.  Is it camp yet? 

30 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Contract year for KK, he has to prove he's that good to the world. Hopefully he's as good as last 15 games that got us into the playoffs.  Lack isn't the worst we can have back there until Schneids comes back.  In fact, I think Corey has more to prove than Kinkaid this year.  Is it camp yet? 

I'm so damn fired up for this season to start. Between the chance for the young guys to shine, to seeing who Ray brings to camp on a PTO, to my twins being born soon, to planning a modified backyard rink with a friend of mine, so much to look forward to this hockey season, except for that whole never gonna sleep again part...

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I'm so damn fired up for this season to start. Between the chance for the young guys to shine, to seeing who Ray brings to camp on a PTO, to my twins being born soon, to planning a modified backyard rink with a friend of mine, so much to look forward to this hockey season, except for that whole never gonna sleep again part...

Twins, eh?

I wish you all the luck in the world.  I have two little boys and they are animals.  I couldn't even imagine having two at the same time.  Sounds like it could be fun though!  Do you know the genders?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Twins, eh?

I wish you all the luck in the world.  I have two little boys and they are animals.  I couldn't even imagine having two at the same time.  Sounds like it could be fun though!  Do you know the genders?

Yeah fraternal twin boys. Dodged a work "curse" as people who do my job tend to have girls. The wife is absolutely miserable now, she's not very big to begin with, people cant believe she hasn't popped yet. Less than two weeks to go at least.

• Like 4

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I had taken so many awesome pictures at that game. Tailgating was awesome.  I brought a couple of rolls of film (remember them?) to Sam's Club to get developed. Somehow I checked slides and got two copies of slides that would have cost me like $50.  I couldn't afford that at that time. Lost all this pics

• Sad 1