2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

With guys coming out of their rookie deals getting 8 year contracts at over $5 million per, I think there are going to be a lot more teams in Winnipeg's position in the future.  They clearly want to keep that core together (with good reason), but it has taken longer for them to develop into a contending team and, as a result, they are going to have to contend with being in cap hell for the foreseeable future.

31 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Laine looks just like Wooderson from Dazed and Confused :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lmfao McDavid looks like Clew Haywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When this guy sneezes, he looks like a party favor.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 9:15 AM, Chuck the Duck said:

With guys coming out of their rookie deals getting 8 year contracts at over $5 million per, I think there are going to be a lot more teams in Winnipeg's position in the future.  They clearly want to keep that core together (with good reason), but it has taken longer for them to develop into a contending team and, as a result, they are going to have to contend with being in cap hell for the foreseeable future.

Still, an 8-year deal does feel a bit long, so many things can happen over that span.  Will a team still be getting good value at the end of the deal?

2 hours ago, aclc79 said:

Still, an 8-year deal does feel a bit long, so many things can happen over that span.  Will a team still be getting good value at the end of the deal?

Almost nobody gets “good value” at the end of one of those deals. It’s the price you pay for getting the good years.

3 hours ago, aclc79 said:

You can live with 2-3 bad or lesser years at the end of an 8-year contract, especially since the cap hit will seem smaller by the end (provided the team cap keeps going up of course).  It's those crazy 12 and 13 year deals prior to the last lockout that can be brutal, especially if the player is either breaking down or simply not nearly as productive less than halfway into such a deal...see Zach Parise.  In terms of actual money, he has $36 million coming to him in the next seven years, but $32 million of it comes over the next four.  Maybe Minnesota finds a way to unload the final three seasons to a team looking to hit the floor, or can afford to take on the hit for some assets (cap hit of $7,538,462 per season, but just $4 million in actual salary over those three years). 

Zach is about to enter year seven of his mega deal...if he was on a seven or eight year contract, overall you'd probably be OK with the return on the six seasons to date...not necessarily thrilled, but OK...he definitely missed a lot more games than you would have expected, and his teams haven't done enough in postseason, but over the first four years of his contract, he performed like one would've thought.  He did miss 35 regular games total in years 2-4, but he averaged about 33 G and 33 A per 82 GP...not up there with his very best Devils seasons, but very much in line with his good ones.  The last two seasons (years 5 and 6) have shown some expected decline...not surprising in that we all thought that his game would not age well as he began to approach his mid-thirties.  Over the last two seasons he's managed 34 G and 32 A combined...but it took him 111 regular season GP to get there.  If years 7 and/or 8 were about the same or slightly worse, you could live with it more, as the first 4 years were well within expectation, and the last two, while not great (with last year seeing him miss half the season), weren't flat-out awful.  But the Wild might have to live with a lot more than two more years of a fading Zach, at a pretty big cap hit.  That's rough. 

49 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Someone let Hall know they're already counting us out. 2019 playoffs here we come! NJD vs Everybody! 

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/these-eight-nhl-teams-are-poised-to-either-surprise-or-disappoint-next-season/

Not saying that it will be easy, but the assumption on their part seems to be that no one will or can improve.  I think there's enough guys with upside that this team could absolutely get in again (and yes, some guys might not be as good as they were last year, but I still think overall, this team has it in them to fight for another berth). 

Of course, I don't kid myself what would happen if Hall ever missed significant time.  They're screwed the second that happens. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not saying that it will be easy, but the assumption on their part seems to be that no one will or can improve.  I think there's enough guys with upside that this team could absolutely get in again (and yes, some guys might not be as good as they were last year, but I still think overall, this team has it in them to fight for another berth). 

Of course, I don't kid myself what would happen if Hall ever missed significant time.  They're screwed the second that happens. 

Not really looking at the article from a logical perspective. More or less just happy to let the team continue to use it as motivation. The more they count us out the harder the team tries to prove them wrong. 

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Not really looking at the article from a logical perspective. More or less just happy to let the team continue to use it as motivation. The more they count us out the harder the team tries to prove them wrong. 

I was more responding to the article than directly to you.  I'd say next year's Devils will have a pretty wide window, as far as their point total goes.  Probably high-70s to high-90s.  Wherever they finish, I don't think motivation will ever be an issue with this team.  In general, I feel good about their chances next year. 

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was more responding to the article than directly to you.  I'd say next year's Devils will have a pretty wide window, as far as their point total goes.  Probably high-70s to high-90s.  Wherever they finish, I don't think motivation will ever be an issue with this team.  In general, I feel good about their chances next year. 

Yea I got that :P

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They're also not taking into account the outstanding possession numbers Cap Space had last year.

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Our success largely rests on Hall being Hall and our goaltending not to fall apart.  Not really worried much about the rest.

But to make the jump to SC contender, a few players have to emerge and close the point gap to Hall.

I think Hischier is a 40 goal player waiting to happen, but who knows.

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You can live with 2-3 bad or lesser years at the end of an 8-year contract, especially since the cap hit will seem smaller by the end (provided the team cap keeps going up of course).  It's those crazy 12 and 13 year deals prior to the last lockout that can be brutal, especially if the player is either breaking down or simply not nearly as productive less than halfway into such a deal...see Zach Parise.  In terms of actual money, he has $36 million coming to him in the next seven years, but $32 million of it comes over the next four.  Maybe Minnesota finds a way to unload the final three seasons to a team looking to hit the floor, or can afford to take on the hit for some assets (cap hit of $7,538,462 per season, but just $4 million in actual salary over those three years). 

Zach is about to enter year seven of his mega deal...if he was on a seven or eight year contract, overall you'd probably be OK with the return on the six seasons to date...not necessarily thrilled, but OK...he definitely missed a lot more games than you would have expected, and his teams haven't done enough in postseason, but over the first four years of his contract, he performed like one would've thought.  He did miss 35 regular games total in years 2-4, but he averaged about 33 G and 33 A per 82 GP...not up there with his very best Devils seasons, but very much in line with his good ones.  The last two seasons (years 5 and 6) have shown some expected decline...not surprising in that we all thought that his game would not age well as he began to approach his mid-thirties.  Over the last two seasons he's managed 34 G and 32 A combined...but it took him 111 regular season GP to get there.  If years 7 and/or 8 were about the same or slightly worse, you could live with it more, as the first 4 years were well within expectation, and the last two, while not great (with last year seeing him miss half the season), weren't flat-out awful.  But the Wild might have to live with a lot more than two more years of a fading Zach, at a pretty big cap hit.  That's rough. 

thing is it's not just zach, they have ryan too signed to an identical contract lol

45 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

thing is it's not just zach, they have ryan too signed to an identical contract lol

At least to date he's shown little drop off (if any), and has been very healthy...he's played in just about all of the Wild's games, and his glamour numbers have been remarkably consistent...it'd be brutal for the Wild if his career trajectory had followed Zach's.  Of course you wonder how much longer Suter can keep this up.

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At least to date he's shown little drop off (if any), and has been very healthy...he's played in just about all of the Wild's games, and his glamour numbers have been remarkably consistent...it'd be brutal for the Wild if his career trajectory had followed Zach's.  Of course you wonder how much longer Suter can keep this up.

Well he did miss a good chunk of last year with a broken leg or ankle that at first was rumoured to be career-threatening, but i guess it wasnt that bad after all