2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

45 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Probably the worst #1 overall of all-time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably a coin flip between Yakupov and Patrik Stefan, at least Yakupov didn't miss on an empty net 2 feet from the goal line

EDIT: Just reiterating this because of this video, but god I love those 2000's Oilers sweaters

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probably a coin flip between Yakupov and Patrik Stefan, at least Yakupov didn't miss on an empty net 2 feet from the goal line
EDIT: Just reiterating this because of this video, but god I love those 2000's Oilers sweaters

Stefan is Zacha’s agent too lol.

6 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

This is probably my favorite hockey play of all time.  He didn't even need to shoot the puck, he literally only needed to keep moving forward. I can't even imagine the feeling Stefan must have had skating back to the bench. What could he possibly say to his teammates?

Maybe it's mostly due to " me wanting it that something is happening " ... But i can't find a real explanation to the loooong Shero's silence. He didn't spoke to the media since the end of the playoff.

It's clearly more based on my wish than proper fact, but i'm pretty sure he is working on something big ! 

I had the same thought.... but I doubt we get Karlsson. He’ll probably end up in Vegas or Tampa (Tampa just trades for and signs whoever they want, cap be damned, so why not Karlsson too?).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Yeah, the copper and navy blue color scheme seem so much more appropriate for a team called the Oilers.  

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This is probably my favorite hockey play of all time.  He didn't even need to shoot the puck, he literally only needed to keep moving forward. I can't even imagine the feeling Stefan must have had skating back to the bench. What could he possibly say to his teammates?

Mine too.  I can never watch it enough.  The play alone is literally the best thing ever, but just when you think it couldn't get any better, the Oilers go right down the rink in 5 seconds and score.  And THEN, it gets even BETTER....the Oilers eventually win the game in OT, 6-5 lol.

If "Do you believe in miracles? YES!" is the best hockey and maybe sports quote in general of all time in terms of a victory and triumph, then I truly think "Do you. Believe. What we. Just saw?!" is at the very top for best sports quote for biggest failure/blunder ever.

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Mine too.  I can never watch it enough.  The play alone is literally the best thing ever, but just when you think it couldn't get any better, the Oilers go right down the rink in 5 seconds and score.  And THEN, it gets even BETTER....the Oilers eventually win the game in OT, 6-5 lol.

If "Do you believe in miracles? YES!" is the best hockey and maybe sports quote in general of all time in terms of a victory and triumph, then I truly think "Do you. Believe. What we. Just saw?!" is at the very top for best sports quote for biggest failure/blunder ever.

Actually the Stars won the game in a SO

Bobby Ryan's contract is no doubt atrocious and his play has been in decline, BUT there's gotta be something of his game that we could reclaim. Dude used to be an all star caliber player. Coming home and playing third line minutes can maybe let us squeeze some value out of him. 

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Are the Devils one of them?

And if the offer was true and Karlsson denied them, doesn't that diminish his trade value?

I don't think so. That's kind of a low ball offer given the Doughty and even JT contracts that were just signed.    Anyone trying to land EK has toknow they're in for at least 11 x 8 years.    

6 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Ok, time for pie-in-sky thoughts courtesy of hungover MB3:

2019 1st (lottery protected), 2020 2nd, Severson, Greene (cap dump) and Anderson for Karlsson (re-signed 8x11, exact same deal Doughty got) and Bobby Ryan (no salary retained). 

You'd probably have to throw in a Bratt or McLeod as well. 

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

You'd probably have to throw in a Bratt or McLeod as well. 

Yeah, I feel like realistically it would be Bratt, Butcher and a 1st for Karlsson and Ryan which is both a lot of assets and a lot of cap.  Can't imagine they're in love with McLeod given that they traded with us to move up and take Logan Brown instead.    

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I really don't think you do, but I'm fine with throwing in McLeod if I take out the 2nd round pick. Eating that monstrous Bobby Ryan contract is a huuuuuge part of this deal. 

I think a lot of people are forgetting that between now and the time the Ryan contract is over, we're guaranteed at least one lockout. Nearly a 100% guarantee. With a lockout comes another round of compliance buyouts, very likely, where we'd be able to rid ourselves of the Ryan deal before Nico's big money would be due. 

Honestly, I don't think compliance buyouts are mutually exclusive to lockouts, but it more so just comes with the changing of the CBA, so I would bank on those being available after the CBA is renegotiated regardless of a lockout or not.

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I really don't think you do, but I'm fine with throwing in McLeod if I take out the 2nd round pick. Eating that monstrous Bobby Ryan contract is a huuuuuge part of this deal. 

I think a lot of people are forgetting that between now and the time the Ryan contract is over, we're guaranteed at least one lockout. Nearly a 100% guarantee. With a lockout comes another round of compliance buyouts, very likely, where we'd be able to rid ourselves of the Ryan deal before Nico's big money would be due. 

I hope you're right.  Good point on the compliance buyout.   Also, I saw somewhere that the language in Bobby Ryan's contract allows him to be left exposed for the next expansion draft despite his NMC.   That would need to be confirmed as well.    

• Like 1