GDT: Devils @ Canes 5:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

Ok, so Cory has an awful 30 seconds. You have to be able to overcome that. You can’t win in this league scoring one goal. 

But how about that goal? I have a few notes about my main man Zacha.

First, play him with Bratt all the time. 

Second, the puck in the ear made me think. If Zacha were to miss the next game due to illness or injury, I’d still pony up if he scores in the next game he plays. To me, that streak only ends if he fails to score, gets scratched, or gets sent back to the Bing. Fair?

Also, I calculated the value of a human kidney as follows: beef kidney is $2 a pound, humans are 50x more important than cows, so a human kidney is $100 per pound. The average human kidney is 0.37 pounds. That makes the price of a human kidney $37, which is also, coincidentally, his uniform number. 

So I will contribute $37 for each and every hat trick Pavel Zacha has in the NHL this season. 

I could say, he scored twice and we lost both games by one game, so he helped us win...

45411387281_1ae62b32cc_b.jpg

But instead, I’ll pretend Zacha was motivated by my negative posts about him, and imagine his response to be...

32075262518_c5234823bd_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wood's new name is Won't

I’m starting to lose patience with him. I love his energy, but for the love of Christ, how the fvck did he get to the NHL when he can’t have a scoring chance without barreling into the goalie or falling down behind the net??

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

If we could get any type of consistency, meaning the top line plays their average and one other line can produce while they are, we can at least be that playoff team they preached all training camp.

It’d also help to get help on defense and staple Lovejoy to the press box and send Greene the way of old yeller

Playoff team sure, but not top 10. Not Unless Zacha is now a bonafide scoring 2C, and we can  bring the Andy Greene from 10 years ago back from the past. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m starting to lose patience with him. I love his energy, but for the love of Christ, how the fvck did he get to the NHL when he can’t have a scoring chance without barreling into the goalie or falling down behind the net??

I'm with ya...sure, I get that it's still relatively early in the season and he can get on a run at some point...but...just one goal so far?  ONE?!  That was definitely not part of the 2018-19 equation.

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Playoff team sure, but not top 10. Not Unless Zacha is now a bonafide scoring 2C, and we can  bring the Andy Greene from 10 years ago back from the past. 

Well he’s going to score like 60 something if he keeps potting one per game like this, hard to argue it won’t happen...

No Hischier and Hall was quite bad.  Hard to win that way especially after giving up 2 in the first 30 seconds.  The 'Canes may not be able to score a lot but they play good defense - the Devils didn't get a whole lot of good chances in the game.

Butcher must be playing hurt.  Either that or his confidence is shot.  He is making mistakes he was not making last season. 

Yakovlev was brutal on goal #1 but he does a lot of things I like.  I'm curious if he might get an extended look here with Vatanen on IR.  

PP was bad.  I'd be tempted to shift unit is which at this point, but neither of them are functioning very well. 

I like JS Dea.  He hasn't scored in a while but he's doing good things most games.  He's not a center but I do think he's an NHL player.  I'd like to see him in there instead of Noesen who has been quite bad so far this season.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I like JS Dea.  He hasn't scored in a while but he's doing good things most games.  He's not a center but I do think he's an NHL player.  I'd like to see him in there instead of Noesen who has been quite bad so far this season.

I 100% agree with this. I like him too, he’s quick, positions himself well and checks hard. He basically represents the identity we’re trying to have. He’s getting a lot of looks, have to believe he’ll start finishing soon.

Positives:

-Cory and the defense did not fold after a brutal start. Hopefully Schneider can build off this.

-Zacha and Bratt work magic again. If they can continue to give the Devils reasonable secondary scoring, they'll be fine.

-PK was very good

Negatives:

-Hynes did not have a good game. Every time Bratt was on the ice, he was creating chances. Even though the team was down the entire game, he played less than guys like Dea, Noesen, Seney, and Anderson. Inexcusable. 

-Hall was dogsh!t again today. I know the stats look pretty decent, but he has certainly looked off this season. 

-The PP was brutal. Couldn't get set up, and Noesen really doesn't add much to the top unit. Think they should try Wood in that spot until Boyle comes back. 

5 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Take away halls great game against Pitt, and he's been a big negative for the last ten,.. the Tampa Bay game started a bad trend..

He’s pressing, badly. You could see it when the game was slipping away yesterday and the calls got missed on him. His frustration is absolutely affecting his performance

5 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Take away halls great game against Pitt, and he's been a big negative for the last ten,.. the Tampa Bay game started a bad trend..

Palms only has 2 goals in his last 10 GP too. The top line has definitely cooled off. Need Nico back ASAP.  

18 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Palms only has 2 goals in his last 10 GP too. The top line has definitely cooled off. Need Nico back ASAP.  

I think that is something we kind of can expect from Palms. A bit of a streaky scorer. It just hurts when everyone else slumps and makes their ways to milk cartons

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I think that is something we kind of can expect from Palms. A bit of a streaky scorer. It just hurts when everyone else slumps and makes their ways to milk cartons

It’s also to the point where it feels like nobody on d is capable of scoring other than Severson. It’d be nice to see Butcher pick up his offensive game soon. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ilzz89 said:

Could someone explain why Bratt played only 11 minutes?

Wtf

Probably a combination of the fact that he just got back from injury and he’s not in full game shape (which would be amazing since he’s been our best player of late) and the fact that he had durability issues last season. 

12 hours ago, Derlique said:

Positives:

-Cory and the defense did not fold after a brutal start. Hopefully Schneider can build off this.

-Zacha and Bratt work magic again. If they can continue to give the Devils reasonable secondary scoring, they'll be fine.

-PK was very good

Negatives:

-Hynes did not have a good game. Every time Bratt was on the ice, he was creating chances. Even though the team was down the entire game, he played less than guys like Dea, Noesen, Seney, and Anderson. Inexcusable. 

-Hall was dogsh!t again today. I know the stats look pretty decent, but he has certainly looked off this season. 

-The PP was brutal. Couldn't get set up, and Noesen really doesn't add much to the top unit. Think they should try Wood in that spot until Boyle comes back. 

Part of me is worried that a year like this is more of Hall's norm and that last season was a career year outlier.  He still racks up points, but is not the difference maker that he was last season.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Part of me is worried that a year like this is more of Hall's norm and that last season was a career year outlier.  He still racks up points, but is not the difference maker that he was last season.

Last season, through 19 GP:  6 G, 14 A, -5, 68 SOG, 8.8 shooting%

This season, through 19 GP:  5 G, 14 A, -6, 65 SOG, 7.7 shooting%

I'm not expecting him to repeat last season, but at least the above shows that there's still a good chance that he'll pick it up later.  It was at the 37-game mark last season that he really took it up several notches:

First 36 GP in 2017-18:  12 G, 24 A, -3, 9.8 shooting%

Rest of the way (40 GP):  27 G, 30 A, +17, 17.3 shooting% 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Last season, through 19 GP:  6 G, 14 A, -5, 68 SOG, 8.8 shooting%

This season, through 19 GP:  5 G, 14 A, -6, 65 SOG, 7.7 shooting%

I'm not expecting him to repeat last season, but at least the above shows that there's still a good chance that he'll pick it up later.  It was at the 37-game mark last season that he really took it up several notches:

First 36 GP in 2017-18:  12 G, 24 A, -3, 9.8 shooting%

Rest of the way (40 GP):  27 G, 30 A, +17, 17.3 shooting% 

He's getting the points and all, but I am not holding my breath for him to repeat what he did in the second half of 17-18.  I hope he does.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

He's getting the points and all, but I am not holding my breath for him to repeat what he did in the second half of 17-18.  I hope he does.

Hall was on an 117-point pace/per 82 GP during that 40-game blitz.  Yeah, I'm definitely not expecting that again...that might have been the career run within the career year.  But at least the remarkably similar numbers at the near-quarter point of this season and last doesn't suggest some huge dropoff (though I've said that he hasn't seemed quite as dynamic yet this season...hopefully even if we don't see the same big numbers, we at least see more of the Hall that can take over a game here and there). 

• Like 1

The only individual I think has earned some flak is Noesen. He hasn't found his game yet this season and it's getting egregious. Otherwise, I think most individual performances can get a pass from me when the team as a whole is really playing like sh!t. They really need to focus on staying competitive and showing up to play. The efforts shown at a team level lately hasn't been acceptable some nights. I will say that Coleman has been awesome though this rough stretch of games though. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The only individual I think has earned some flak is Noesen. He hasn't found his game yet this season and it's getting egregious. Otherwise, I think most individual performances can get a pass from me when the team as a whole is really playing like sh!t. They really need to focus on staying competitive and showing up to play. The efforts shown at a team level lately hasn't been acceptable some nights. I will say that Coleman has been awesome though this rough stretch of games though. 

It is tough to get any consistency with all the changes up and down the lineup.  We need to get healthy and have set lines and d-pairings play together for a while.  Meanwhile, just put in the effort; something positive may happen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Same here, I pretty much have been buying every player t-shirt and just can't buy his yet. The way he plays just doesn't cut it for me so far with what he's making. I was really excited when we got him too. 

Even if Mojo is not lighting it up. The next guy in line (say we wouldn't have him) isn't much better either. So as long as he's not impacting the team negatively or taking up cap space we need, there's not much to say

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Even if Mojo is not lighting it up. The next guy in line (say we wouldn't have him) isn't much better either. So as long as he's not impacting the team negatively or taking up cap space we need, there's not much to say

Sure there is. He sucks. 

45704962801_5cd6630c64_b.jpg

• Haha 4