Derlique

The Taylor Hall Watch Thread

26 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Nobody thought we'd make it to the cup finals that year, we were huge underdogs. 

LA was the 8 seed that year. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Have you seen the first round this year? 

As for you strategy, trading every player that refuses to sign early pretty much just leaves you perpetually developing players for the rest of the league. 

Lastly, for someone who is glad the Parise thing is in the past, you sure like harping on it. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I never said to trade a player at the deadline, that's a very tough spot to put yourself in. Exactly how many times am i going to to give the example of how Shero dealt with his free agents in pittsburgh? He dealt with that during the summer. 

Lou should have never signed Parise to that 1 year. You sign him long term or you move on. Just like Shero did with Letang and Staal. 

But then the apologists will say that Parise was injured and that we didn't know how he'd come back. Oh. Well so that means Shero shouldnt sign Hall this summer based n that logic right? No. Shero has to deal with Hall this summer. That's how you protect your assets and don't wait to be in a position where your leverage is at its lowest. 

You would have murdered Lou if he traded Parise in the 11-12 season.  I will also say that I don't think it would be a stretch that you would still be complaining about it to this day if it indeed happened.

Also about the bolded, you are forgetting the context.  Parise just came off a major knee injury where he missed almost the entire previous season.  It was definitely a "show me" contract.  If Parise suddenly became a 40-point player after signing a massive deal at that time you would have murdered Lou for that.  Also, Lou had an owner who was so broke, he had to take out a $30M loan during the 11-12 season from Barroway just to make payroll.

I am 100% convinced Lou could never win with you regarding Parise.

Edited by DevsMan84

14 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

LA was the 8 seed that year. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Have you seen the first round this year? 

As for you strategy, trading every player that refuses to sign early pretty much just leaves you perpetually developing players for the rest of the league. 

Lastly, for someone who is glad the Parise thing is in the past, you sure like harping on it. 

It's not just about Parise it's about how Lou sucked at handling UFAs. Parise is not the only one we lost because of it.

And my "strategy" is Shero's strategy and simply a common sense strategy. (or basically any GM ouside of Lou's strategy for that matter...) And he never lost a top player for nothing and you should be glad he's the one handling our team now. When have you seen him "perpetually developing players for the rest of the league?"

Are you SERIOUSLY saying you'd rather Shero wait one week before Hall hit free agency next summer before he start talking contract extension with him? Is that REALLY what you want? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You would have murdered Lou if he traded Parise in the 11-12 season.  I will also say that I don't think it would be a stretch that you would still be complaining about it to this day if it indeed happened.

Also about the bolded, you are forgetting the context.  Parise just came off a major knee injury where he missed almost the entire previous season.  It was definitely a "show me" contract.  If Parise suddenly became a 40-point player after signing a massive deal at that time you would have murdered Lou for that.  Also, Lou had an owner who was so broke, he had to take out a $30M loan during the 11-12 season from Barroway just to make payroll.

I am 100% convinced Lou could never win with you regarding Parise.

I would not have murdered Lou if Parise wanted out at all. I'd be mad at Parise instead. The way it happened i don't blame Parise at all actually, Lou paved him the way to leave and he took the opportunity.

Why can't you guys understand it's NOT just about Parise. I'm against his way of handling UFAs. i had that problem with him long before Parise left. He did the same fvcking thing with all our top players and many left or could have left. That's how he did things and it was a horrible way to do it. It's not very hard to understand. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's not just about Parise it's about how Lou sucked at handling UFAs. Parise is not the only one we lost because of it.

And my "strategy" is Shero's strategy and simply a common sense strategy. (or basically any GM ouside of Lou's strategy for that matter...) And he never lost a top player for nothing and you should be glad he's the one handling our team now. When have you seen him "perpetually developing players for the rest of the league?"

Are you SERIOUSLY saying you'd rather Shero wait one week before Hall hit free agency next summer before he start talking contract extension with him? Is that REALLY what you want? 

Shero also had a perennial contender and 2 of the best centers in the game. That being said, I am very comfortable with him handling our UFAs. I like the way he operates , but I'm also aware that this is not Pittsburgh in its prime. I think Shero will do great. I'm just not sure he can leverage quite the same here. If you tell a player that he has to sign of he's out and you missed the playoffs 6 of the last 7 years, he'll have his bags packed before you finish your sentence. 

As for waiting til the last second, it was reported that Lou and Zach were having talks as late as January 2012, right up until Parise signed with new representation and stopped talking contract publicly. 

I will admit that I was not the biggest fan of Lous rules and approaches, including his UFA strategy. I understood them and his philosophy, but i didn't necessarily enjoy them. I do see why he found them necessary. He needed players who were "all-in", especially with the broke and/or cheap owners he was dealing with. But I will also say not many of those UFAs that left set the world on fire after they left either. 

26 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't go in this thread anymore.

And I can't help but feel like it's all my fault!

7 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

And I can't help but feel like it's all my fault!

That avatar is amazing

• Thanks 1

Sterio, I would recommend that you read the short story "How the Two Ivans Quarreled" by Nickolai Gogol before trying to revisit the circumstances of Zach Parise's departure from the team.

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Shero also had a perennial contender and 2 of the best centers in the game. That being said, I am very comfortable with him handling our UFAs. I like the way he operates , but I'm also aware that this is not Pittsburgh in its prime. I think Shero will do great. I'm just not sure he can leverage quite the same here. If you tell a player that he has to sign of he's out and you missed the playoffs 6 of the last 7 years, he'll have his bags packed before you finish your sentence. 

As for waiting til the last second, it was reported that Lou and Zach were having talks as late as January 2012, right up until Parise signed with new representation and stopped talking contract publicly. 

I will admit that I was not the biggest fan of Lous rules and approaches, including his UFA strategy. I understood them and his philosophy, but i didn't necessarily enjoy them. I do see why he found them necessary. He needed players who were "all-in", especially with the broke and/or cheap owners he was dealing with. But I will also say not many of those UFAs that left set the world on fire after they left either

Niedermayer, Rafalski, and Madden all went on to win Cups with their next teams. 

Gomez and Holik...yeah, not so much. 

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I would not have murdered Lou if Parise wanted out at all. I'd be mad at Parise instead. The way it happened i don't blame Parise at all actually, Lou paved him the way to leave and he took the opportunity.

Why can't you guys understand it's NOT just about Parise. I'm against his way of handling UFAs. i had that problem with him long before Parise left. He did the same fvcking thing with all our top players and many left or could have left. That's how he did things and it was a horrible way to do it. It's not very hard to understand. 

Lou did it because of his goddamn ego, let's be honest. It was HIS way or hit the highway. Many chose to hit the highway as a result. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Lou did it because of his goddamn ego, let's be honest. It was HIS way or hit the highway. Many chose to hit the highway as a result. 

Yet, not the guy with the biggest ego, he stayed. 

Posted (edited)

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but what do you guys think about signing Taylor Hall? The story I would sell him on:

This playoff year has shown how fast a team can rise in to contention. If he leaves to go to someone who will "contend" while he's in his prime he's chasing the dragon. Also, you want to be surrounded by young talent in your 33+ years when the statistical pressure to contend can be passed down and you can age out gracefully as the veteran leader whose "points might be down, but their off-ice presence is worth every penny". This is a really good pitch the owner's have now. Might have some homer-blinders on, but I truly believe we have 3 star forwards in the making. The World's will feature a 20 year old Bratt on the 1st line for Sweden (putting up some #'s and highlights in the warm up games), a 20 year old Nico leading the swiss (hat trick the other day), and a 17 year old American as the youngest ever to wear the stars and stripes for the adult squad. (Also Blackwood, but he might not get many minutes). Unless you are signing with the Avalanche I think you'd be hard pressed to find a squad that is better positioned for a sustained run of contention in the next 8 year period (iff D is solved by trade/fa/prospects/this years picks..big IF, but not that huge of an if given all the assets shero has to work with..). But back to being a leader. Hall in interviews has always been a guy who is aware of analytics and seems to live/breathe hockey. Nico/Hughes have this same trait. The veterans we do have are all ageing out..there is going to be a leadership void in the next 2 years and hopefully Hall sees that as an opportunity and seizes it. 

Also I'd pitch him by paying him money..yeah that is the other part of the sell..$$$$. 

Estimates?: https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2019/5/1/18518163/how-much-is-taylor-hall-worth-to-the-devils-and-for-how-long

Edited by Steadevils
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Steadevils said:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but what do you guys think about signing Taylor Hall? The story I would sell him on:

This playoff year has shown how fast a team can rise in to contention. If he leaves to go to someone who will "contend" while he's in his prime he's chasing the dragon. Also, you want to be surrounded by young talent in your 33+ years when the statistical pressure to contend can be passed down and you can age out gracefully as the veteran leader whose "points might be down, but their off-ice presence is worth every penny". This is a really good pitch the owner's have now. Might have some homer-blinders on, but I truly believe we have 3 star forwards in the making. The World's will feature a 20 year old Bratt on the 1st line for Sweden (putting up some #'s and highlights in the warm up games), a 20 year old Nico leading the swiss (hat trick the other day), and a 17 year old American as the youngest ever to wear the stars and stripes for the adult squad. (Also Blackwood, but he might not get many minutes). Unless you are signing with the Avalanche I think you'd be hard pressed to find a squad that is better positioned for a sustained run of contention in the next 8 year period (iff D is solved by trade/fa/prospects/this years picks..big IF, but not that huge of an if given all the assets shero has to work with..). But back to being a leader. Hall in interviews has always been a guy who is aware of analytics and seems to live/breathe hockey. Nico/Hughes have this same trait. The veterans we do have are all ageing out..there is going to be a leadership void in the next 2 years and hopefully Hall sees that as an opportunity and seizes it. 

Also I'd pitch him by paying him money..yeah that is the other part of the sell..$$$$. 

Estimates?: https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2019/5/1/18518163/how-much-is-taylor-hall-worth-to-the-devils-and-for-how-long

It’s a good synopsis...but he knows all of that already, you’ve stated the obvious. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s a good synopsis...but he knows all of that already, you’ve stated the obvious. 

Well believe it or not I was giving my opinion and I wasn't actually trying to pitch him....unless he's a reader in which case....Hi Taylor a discount would be great!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

Well believe it or not I was giving my opinion and I wasn't actually trying to pitch him....unless he's a reader in which case....Hi Taylor a discount would be great!

Uhh, you prefaced it with...

6 hours ago, Steadevils said:

The story I would sell him on:

...which is why I responded the way I did. 

6 hours ago, Steadevils said:

At this point, I don't think it'll be all that complicated and a Tavares like "pitch" isn't going to be necessary.  I think he just wants to be comfortable that Ray is actually committed to bringing in additional talent besides "building through the draft," which for all we know has already happened.  At some point, the team will want a firm answer as to whether he intends to sign an extension on July 1, which again, for all we know, has already happened.  Then it's just a matter of working on a deal that pays him what he's worth, but which also helps the team as much as possible. 

a lot of people over on HF are already jumping on when hall needs to be traded if he isn't showing that he is committed by a certain date. I think before jumping to deadlines we should all remember that hall was vocal with expressing that he wants to see hows hero is going to make upgrades to this team before he commits himself, which is fair enough after there was nothing done to improve things last off season. We all know we are going to be getting Hughes so theres a start in the right direction

Meh. The NBA sucks. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Guadana said:

d6utLxYa4m0.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/nhl.discussion - link

What do you know about this source? Yellow press?

A few of us are talking about it in the other thread, but yeah, yellow journalism at best, IMO. The author is a joke of a “reporter”

On 6/1/2019 at 1:21 AM, MadDog2020 said:

Taylor Hall signing with  Toronto Raptors!! Confirmed. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

A few of us are talking about it in the other thread, but yeah, yellow journalism at best, IMO. The author is a joke of a “reporter”

overlook it. 

i really don`t understand how guys like this discover and find theirs report material. 

anyway - if we can talk about silver cup - how long years we need to find our way with growing our kids like hughes and boqvist? And if we talk about 3-4 years - will hall be ready to give us what he give us today. And if he understand that... He may try to find his way to cup in nearest years.

O, basic logic - time to make report instagramm. i`m ready.