2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

with sooo many teams having tons of cap space, thank god the cap didnt went up more than that on top of that

6 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

If Panarin still doesn't even look in our direction after adding Subban and Hughes, then we know it's the usual Anti-New Jersey rhetoric that's keeping him from even considering us.

Well not necessarely. When you already have 4-5 really good options from teams that are already better and in better locations... you don't feel like digging much. I just hope we could get a meeting with him. Then i'm sure Shero could at least make a good pitch

• Like 1

Seems to me Florida is really thinking about both Bob and Pan. Let's think about whether or not that will work:

Florida has 20.48M in cap space as of right now according to CapFriendly. Panarin is likely to bring in a 9M - 10M cap hit (For context, Auston Matthews got 11.6M/5 years, Tavares got 11M/7 years, Seguin got 9.85M/8 years, Kucherov got 9.5M/8 years - all of them signed summer 2018 or after). Please note I'm accounting for no the income tax in Florida discount when I predict Panarin's contract. 

Bobrovsky on the other hand is likely to get a contract with a cap hit anywhere between 8.5M - 9.5M, (Carey Price got 10.5M/8 years in the summer of 2017 and again I'm accounting for no income tax in Florida discount).

It's possible that the total cap hit for these two guys comes to 20M, and I think I'm being fairly conservative with that estimate.

So signing these two would put Florida right up against the cap ceiling and possibly beyond it. Bobrovsky is 30 years old. Do they want to give him 7 years? I doubt he signs anywhere for less term. For reference Price was 29 when he signed his deal.

The good news for Florida is that they have Huberdeau, Barkov, and Trocheck signed to relatively cheap deals and for remaining terms of 4, 3, and 3 years respectively.  They also have Ekblad, Matheson, and Yandle signed to long term deals for relatively agreeable amounts. So they won't have to worry about these guys wanting raises for awhile.

Luongo, who no one knows what the deal is with yet for next season, is signed for the next 3 years at a 4.5M cap hit. Not good for Florida but it could be worse and they don't owe him much in actual $$$.

Lastly, they still have three RFAs to sign and will need to fill out their roster with some cheap UFAs and/or prospects in their system. Of the RFAs, Denis Malgin is projected to have a 1.4M cap hit with his next contract, Mackenzie Weegar 1.35M, and Ian McCoshen 900K or below (per Evolving Hockey).

So to bring in Bob and Panarin they are going to have to shed a few million dollars of cap - maybe around 4-5M. It seems to me they have a few options:

1. Trade one of the above guys who are signed long term. Those contracts are pretty good though - hard to pass on to another team. 

2. Trade Luongo and picks/prospects/roster player to a team with abundant cap space to get rid of his contract (Obviously I know that Luongo could just magically end up on LTIR).

3. Mike Hoffman. He has one year remaining on his deal which brings a 5.1M cap hit. He's a good player but rumor had it they were shopping him at this past season's deadline. Obviously, now they could want to keep him to make a run at the postseason and wait until the deadline again to make a trade if they aren't good but signing Bob and Pan could force their hand . I wonder if they'd part with him now. He does have a 10 team no-trade list.

4. Bob and Pan magically sign extra favorable contracts for the Panthers - unlikely. 

Edited by Neb00rs

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

with sooo many teams having tons of cap space, thank god the cap didnt went up more than that on top of that

Well not necessarely. When you already have 4-5 really good options from teams that are already better and in better locations... you don't feel like digging much. I just hope we could get a meeting with him. Then i'm sure Shero could at least make a good pitch

Agreed. All other things being equal, I’d be hard pressed not to go to Florida, live in sunshine year round and not pay state taxes. 

All other things are not equal, as Florida plays in front of smaller home crowds than we do, which isnt easy to do. 

Edited by mfitz804

Help me out here....

We know what the Devils brought in over the weekend, very exciting.  We know the linemates these guys will be playing with (when I say that I’m just referring to teammates, of course we don’t know which lines they’ll be paired on yet)

With knowing the info listed above, what do you feel the team is still missing (other than elite goaltending) that can make them a true contender?  I feel they need another solid D man.  Do they need another strong forward?  Guess you can never have too many but of course cap space will become an issue.

Need everyone’s take on this so I can play out in my head what they will ideally need to make a deep playoff run.  I would like to think with their up to date roster they should crack into the playoffs this season but would like everyone’s take.

2 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

Help me out here....

We know what the Devils brought in over the weekend, very exciting.  We know the linemates these guys will be playing with (when I say that I’m just referring to teammates, of course we don’t know which lines they’ll be paired on yet)

With knowing the info listed above, what do you feel the team is still missing (other than elite goaltending) that can make them a true contender?  I feel they need another solid D man.  Do they need another strong forward?  Guess you can never have too many but of course cap space will become an issue.

Need everyone’s take on this so I can play out in my head what they will ideally need to make a deep playoff run.  I would like to think with their up to date roster they should crack into the playoffs this season but would like everyone’s take.

Goaltending was very much an issue for much of the season...Devils finished well below average (.895, with the league average being .905).  Don't see a repeat of that...for one, you had a beleaguered KK trying to do way more than he was ever expected to, and you had Cory trying to find his way back from surgery, and it was obviously incredibly painful to watch for all involved.  But Cory did look a hell of a lot better later, and Mac also played very well...I see the Devils being at least .913 as a team next season.  D is still iffy...really hope that we don't see 13 different defensemen suit up for the Devils in 2019-20 (that's what happened last season...the only ones to play in more than 53 games were Butcher, Severson, and Greene).  Subban and Smith will be joining that group next season, so can't imagine the D being as shaky as it was in 2018-19.

BTW only four D currently signed for 2019-20 that figure to be on the big club (Subban for three years, Severson for four years, Smith for three years on his ELC, and Greene for one).  Butcher, Mueller, and Carrick are all RFA.  Butcher will obviously be back.  Not sure what Shero's plans are for the other two. 

EDIT:  Forgot that Vatanen is signed through next season too.  Just kinda forgot about him in general for some reason...and that's the guy who gave my daughter a puck last year.  Makes me feel like a unappreciative d!ck. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Wow...didn’t realize Vatanen missed that many games last season. 

Haven’t seen enough of Carrick to really have an opinion, but I wouldn’t mind moving on from Mueller after his deal is up. He’s just not very good. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Wow...didn’t realize Vatanen missed that many games last season. 

Haven’t seen enough of Carrick to really have an opinion, but I wouldn’t mind moving on from Mueller after his deal is up. He’s just not very good. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he was used as trade bait.  Just seems like with Subban in the fold, Severson signed for four more years, and Butcher likely to get a multi-year deal, just not sure that Vats fits in as well now.  Also figures to get overpaid as a UFA after this season.  Maybe he gets dealt for more of a stay-at-home guy. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he was used as trade bait.  Just seems like with Subban in the fold, Severson signed for four more years, and Butcher likely to get a multi-year deal, just not sure that Vats fits in as well now.  Also figures to get overpaid as a UFA after this season.  Maybe he gets dealt for more of a stay-at-home guy. 

Kapanen for Vatanen (maximum money retained) straight up seems like a plausible deal.  I would say that he could be part of a deal for Kessel, but I doubt the Penguins are trading him in the division and with their former GM.

Just now, Daniel said:

Kapanen for Vatanen (maximum money retained) straight up seems like a plausible deal.  I would say that he could be part of a deal for Kessel, but I doubt the Penguins are trading him in the division and with their former GM.

This Kapanen?

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-leafs-kapanen-nearing-contract-extension-170715778.html

Sounds like he's sticking around. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Too bad, Daneyko would only have had to learn half of a new name. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Missed that... I seemed to recall they had a deal with Johnsson wrapped up and that they were looking to deal Kapanen but looks like not.

Looks like their move is to re-sign everyone and not make a splash in UFA.

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

For the record, Florida plays in Sunrise. It’s a solid hour and a half in Florida traffic to get from Miami Beach to Sunrise, and very few players actually live in Miami Beach because of that. I’m sure he knows that, but everyone keeps saying “Miami Beach has a huge Russian population” which is true, but also a borderline irrelevant fact. 

Source: lived in Miami Beach and drove to sunrise for 5-10 games per year. Not fun.

Exactly. Otherwise we’re allowed to harp about Brighton Beach then.

54 minutes ago, devlman said:

Exactly. Otherwise we’re allowed to harp about Brighton Beach then.

Yeah man, Moscow isn't all its cut out to be anyway, you can live in Finland and then go into Moscow to go out to dinner and clubs any time you want.

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And then on the other end of the spectrum...I look at a team like San Jose, and wonder how they're not going to be completely fvcked...five players making $7 million+ per season through at least 2024-25...

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sharks

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Hearing Hugh talk about spending more is very interesting. Usually you have to wonder if ownership is pumping the brakes on spending but that doesn't seem the case at all

Funny thing is for all of the BS talk about them being cheap, they've never given that indication once.  They've put money into the building.  They gave Lou freedom to spend (often badly at the end).  I think the only guy who wasn't willing to throw money around for the sake of doing so was Shero, and that was with good reason. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny thing is for all of the BS talk about them being cheap, they've never given that indication once.  They've put money into the building.  They gave Lou freedom to spend (often badly at the end).  I think the only guy who wasn't willing to throw money around for the sake of doing so was Shero, and that was with good reason. 

Yeah I haven't seen anything that says they aren't willing to spend, but in sports in general there's a cap and what an owner wants to spend. Its nice seeing the owner being forward about it though

Edited by Devil Dan 56