Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately

NJDevils1214

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i don't quite understand why some are saying that our drafting has been bad. It's so early. And at worst we're on par or better than the decade before Shero took over if you go through our draft history. If we break it down by slices of 5 years. We already all know how bad the drafting was with Conte but it's like we don't hold shero to the same standard for wtv reasons... some blame him for his drafting even if many many players are still developing... Obviously having top picks will make the job way way way easier on you. 

2015-2019 (Shero)

NHLers: Hischier / Bratt / Hughes / Blackwood / Zacha

Jury is still on out: Boqvist / McLeod  / Anderson / Smith

and there’s probably more... let's remember Coleman took a long time to make the NHL and he's now one of our best player. Was drafted in 2011 and played his first full season in 2017. So it took him 6 years !

2010-2014

NHLers: Wood / Severson / Kerfoot / Larsson / Coleman / Merrill

Mehhh: Quenneville / Santini / Boucher

2005-2009

NHLers: Zajac / Henrique

mehh: Josefson / Gelinas / Tedenby / Bergfors / Fayne

Again... context. 

I disagree because you called Zacha an NHLer. 

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Maybe that Palms rumor has some truth to it

Nobody risked their job nor fired a guy over Kyle Palmieri. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Looked this up just for kicks.

Wood: 245 games, 44G, 44A

Zacha: 242 games, 32G, 62A

Pretty close. One was 6th overall, one was 100th. 

Also, didn’t you just tell everyone else to “get the fvck over it” wrt where Zacha was drafted? :P

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Looked this up just for kicks.

Wood: 245 games, 44G, 44A

Zacha: 242 games, 32G, 62A

Pretty close. One was 6th overall, one was 100th. 

one was drafted 3 years after the other though lol

So that's "potentially" an extra 246 games that Zacha has in hand here

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

But does Wood kill penalties like a boss?!

No, neither does Zacha. Does Zacha rattle the goalie (literally) like Wood?

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Also, didn’t you just tell everyone else to “get the fvck over it” wrt where Zacha was drafted? :P

I *might* occasionally say things just to antagonize people. Not saying if it was that post or this one. Don’t tell anyone, it’s a secret. 

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

one was drafted 3 years after the other though lol

So that's "potentially" an extra 246 games that Zacha has in hand here

I forgot about all the expected goals Wood had in those potential games. How could I not factor that in??

Wonder if shero was forced into firing hynes, and then turns around and gets him a gig with the preds..

1 hour ago, lazer said:

Wonder who made shero fire hynes then cause it wasnt sheros idea.

This makes no sense if owners are about the money, they throw it away.

If the owners are about direction of the team, they have sheros guys still in place

I think they made him fire hynes, then he gets him a gig with the preds .. the place we got PK.. I could see how the owner would feel their interests were 2nd.. putting many eggs in the hall basket for so long and then seeing we were a better team after he left.. playing better without hynes  and a more conservative defensive game plan..  then maybe they wanted a vet coach, and shero said enough already. May never know

Edited by EdgeControl
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

I think they made him fire hynes, then he gets him a gig with the preds .. the place we got PK.. I could see how the owner would feel their interests we 2nd.. putting many eggs in the hall basket for so long and then seeing we were a better team after he left.. playing better without hynes  and a more conservative defensive game plan..  then maybe they wanted a vet coach, and shero said enough already. May never know

Right, that and the trade deadline had to factor in, and hall.

So yeah

The Shero discussion starts at about the 20 minute mark.  A few things of interest.  Dreger claims, per a source, that a decision was made a while ago that Shero was going to be fired at the end of the season, but for reasons unknown right now ownership decided to pull the trigger when they did.  Dreger half speculates/half claims knowledge that Shero wasn't as gung ho about analytics as the owners are and that might have led to it.  Then suggests that of all the players that might be available at the trade deadline, but spends time saying that it will be awfully tempting to trade Palmieri because he will probably be the most enticing name on the trade market.

• Like 3

What about Castron? Should he still be with us for the draft or should we let him go too? I guess it’s up to the new GM but ownership might not be too fond of his drafting. Not that I think it’s been too bad. Our European scouts seems to be the best we have. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

All the players are available? Wtf

surely Nico and Hughes are off the table. 

Seems like an incomplete thought. 

Then suggests that of all the players that might be available at the trade deadline,”

but spends time saying that it will be awfully tempting to trade Palmieri because he will probably be the most enticing name on the trade market.”

Seems like something is missing in between those two lines.

2 minutes ago, lazer said:

if they knew shero was gone at the end of the season and the stat dept divide, then why was everyone so shocked is my question. in reference to that podcast

I think people were more shocked at the timing than anything. Harris announced it literally an hour before a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

At the risk of inciting a forum riot, if Kyle Palmieri is really an attractive piece at the deadline and Fitzgerald can get a bidding war going; there’s a lot to like about trading a 29-year old for a bucket of draft picks and prospects that’ll perhaps fit better with the age of our core.

I’d say you listen and pull the trigger if it’s something you can’t say no to.  He’d probably the most valuable player available at the deadline because of the extra year.