The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

On 10/20/2020 at 8:35 PM, mfitz804 said:

Dude will probably be in Binghamton taking home $900 a week while thinking how he’s got a contract that could be paying him over 10 times as much. 

I’d almost rather not know the NHL number lol. 

Fitz probably gave him much bigger $$ amount for playing in Bingo like he did w/ Street, Jacobs. they're getting well over 200K to play there. (which is only right)

*edit* apparently these might be fake chinese knock offs but my opinion on this stands either way lol... 

I think these are disgusting. l is also wouldn't want this, it's not even like the Seals even played in San Jose. It's not as bad as Carolina wearing Hartford jerseys though.

It's more like us having stupid nods to the Rockies and Scouts and that Newark Bulldogs team on our current jerseys.

I really hope we don't have some stupid throwback to one of those 3 teams.

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's more like us having stupid nods to the Rockies and Scouts and that Newark Bulldogs team on our current jerseys.

I really hope we don't have some stupid throwback to one of those 3 teams

They are barely a blip in our history at this point, I have to agree they should not do that. Big difference between that and the Avs doing Nordique themed jerseys, IMHO. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They are barely a blip in our history at this point, I have to agree they should not do that. Big difference between that and the Avs doing Nordique themed jerseys, IMHO. 

Why?  Isn't it just one franchise moving to another city and setting up shop?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Why?  Isn't it just one franchise moving to another city and setting up shop?

Because of how little time we spent in the other cities. At least the Nordiques had a lengthy history. What the fvck would I want to honor two seasons in Kansas City and a handful in Colorado that were all terrible for?

Edited by mfitz804

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Because of how little time we spent in the other cities. At least the Nordiques had a lengthy history. What the fvck would I want to honor two seasons in Kansas City and a handful in Colorado that were all terrible for?

I'm not proud of my high school haircut but the graduation picture is still hanging in my parents house.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Personally I don't think any team who moves should use throwbacks to a team that never represented their own city, doesn't matter how long or short the team was there for me. 

I know some Carolina fans have been mixed on wearing Hartford Whalers stuff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

I'm not proud of my high school haircut but the graduation picture is still hanging in my parents house.

That picture still represents who you were though, the Rockies and Scouts don't represent New Jersey, the Whalers don't represent Carolina, etc, etc. 

If the Avalanche want to wear Rockies throwbacks that at least represents their city and people who watched that team play. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That picture still represents who you were though, the Rockies and Scouts don't represent New Jersey, the Whalers don't represent Carolina, etc, etc. 

If the Avalanche want to wear Rockies throwbacks that at least represents their city and people who watched that team play. 

I agree with you.  But to play Scouts advocate here, there are two sides to this coin.  Showing respect for the location you're currently in, but also showing respect to the franchise as a whole.

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

I agree with you.  But to play Scouts advocate here, there are two sides to this coin.  Showing respect for the location you're currently in, but also showing respect to the franchise as a whole.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I really don't ever remember the broadcasts and team recognizing "franchise" records until more recently when they changed the jerseys with these nods to these previous franchises. They had the Rockies like background logo with the red and green for McMullen night but that was in the season right before we changed into the current jerseys. 

Before that the only thing I can recall are the banners in the arena hallways of the old KC and Colorado arenas. 

My personal view point is those franchises were complete failures and should be treated as dead items with no acknowledgment from the current team. The only thing we should be thankful about for Kansas City and Colorado is that if those teams weren't complete failures maybe we wouldn't have gotten a team. 

I definitely get why some people like the acknowledging those teams but I've always been in the if its not the NJ Devils, fvck em side of this debate....... I did chuckle at scouts advocate though lol

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Some people walk around their whole lives talking about how they played football in high school, even though it was only a couple of years and nothing at all ever came from it. 

Same can be said about Kansas City and Colorado. I could give a sh!t about either of those teams. they moved the team here. I am glad they are here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Some people walk around their whole lives talking about how they played football in high school, even though it was only a couple of years and nothing at all ever came from it. 

What if you scored 4 TD’s in one game...

• Haha 5

I went to a few games at McNichols arena to see Rockie Hockeys play back in the day. Wasn't a huge fan but had a hat & t-shirt.  I wouldn't be pissed about doing a retro thing w/ Rockies somehow figured in. Many folks would love to see a 3rd jersey, and I also wonder if they consider our retro jerseys (we use 3/4 times a year) as  just that. 

what also might be cool, is that they do warm up in Rockies jerseys.

On 10/22/2020 at 3:56 PM, Satans Hockey said:

Personally I don't think any team who moves should use throwbacks to a team that never represented their own city, doesn't matter how long or short the team was there for me. 

I know some Carolina fans have been mixed on wearing Hartford Whalers stuff. 

I can't agree with this more.  The franchise moved from KC to Colorado and then to NJ.  It completely rebranded each time.  It makes no sense to me to honor KC or Colorado here in NJ with a throwback to those cities that few, if any of us, actually care about.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I can't agree with this more.  The franchise moved from KC to Colorado and then to NJ.  It completely rebranded each time.  It makes no sense to me to honor KC or Colorado here in NJ with a throwback to those cities that few, if any of us, actually care about.  

Agreed. I don’t even like Colorado wearing Quebec jerseys, or Carolina wearing Hartford jerseys. I know they have a shared franchise history, but you may as well be talking about completely different franchises than the Nordiques and Whalers. Why not have Dallas wear North Stars throwbacks while we’re at it too?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Agreed. I don’t even like Colorado wearing Quebec jerseys, or Carolina wearing Hartford jerseys. I know they have a shared franchise history, but you may as well be talking about completely different franchises than the Nordiques and Whalers. Why not have Dallas wear North Stars throwbacks while we’re at it too?

Same reason the Coyotes won't wear Jets gear, because someone else filled the vacancy.

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I went to a few games at McNichols arena to see Rockie Hockeys play back in the day. Wasn't a huge fan but had a hat & t-shirt.  I wouldn't be pissed about doing a retro thing w/ Rockies somehow figured in. Many folks would love to see a 3rd jersey, and I also wonder if they consider our retro jerseys (we use 3/4 times a year) as  just that. 

what also might be cool, is that they do warm up in Rockies jerseys.

How was that place (Big Mac)?  I've only seen pics of it...basically the exterior and some interior shots (NBA and NHL games).  No concourse photos or anything like that.  I think they had a pretty nice restaurant in there somewhere (or at least I remember reading about it).  

I used to think it might be kinda cool for the Devils to break out the Scouts and/or Rockies jerseys for an actual game, but these days I can't say that I have much interest in ever seeing that.  The one time I think it could be kinda fun would be if the Devils played a road game in Colorado, and wore "away" Rockies whites (obviously the whites were the Rockies' home jerseys back in the day), with the Avs wearing their typical home jerseys (or even their "Rockies influenced" jerseys)...a little "old" meets "new".  Auction off the Rockies whites for some kind of charity.  

I think it could be fun...ONCE.  As in, don't make it a yearly event.  Don't give everyone a chance to get sick of it or for any novelty a night like this might have to wear off.  Do it once, let everyone have a good time with it, then never do it again.  

See the source image

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I wonder if there is a single Devils fan, alive or passed, that was a Devils fan because they followed the franchise from Colorado/KC. Because to your point, none of us give a crap about the years prior to NJ. 

6 minutes ago, devlman said:

I wonder if there is a single Devils fan, alive or passed, that was a Devils fan because they followed the franchise from Colorado/KC. Because to your point, none of us give a crap about the years prior to NJ. 

Probably very few.  Many still don't even know that the Devils weren't some expansion team. 

If anything, I thought a "Colorado vs. Colorado" game could be fun for the fans in COLORADO...for those old enough to remember actually having attended Rockies games way back when...and would get a kick out of seeing those Rockies unis on ice again.  

There's no reason for such an event to ever take place in NJ though.  A few historians would get it, but most in NJ would be thinking "Huh what?"  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

How was that place (Big Mac)?  I've only seen pics of it...basically the exterior and some interior shots (NBA and NHL games).  No concourse photos or anything like that.  I think they had a pretty nice restaurant in there somewhere (or at least I remember reading about it).  

I used to think it might be kinda cool for the Devils to break out the Scouts and/or Rockies jerseys for an actual game, but these days I can't say that I have much interest in ever seeing that.  The one time I think it could be kinda fun would be if the Devils played a road game in Colorado, and wore "away" Rockies whites (obviously the whites were the Rockies' home jerseys back in the day), with the Avs wearing their typical home jerseys (or even their "Rockies influenced" jerseys)...a little "old" meets "new".  Auction off the Rockies whites for some kind of charity.  

I think it could be fun...ONCE.  As in, don't make it a yearly event.  Don't give everyone a chance to get sick of it or for any novelty a night like this might have to wear off.  Do it once, let everyone have a good time with it, then never do it again.  

See the source image

you wonder if for a throwback, the devils just do this color scheme and put their logo in it?