2020 Free Agency Megathread

RunninWithTheDevil

Hall must of wanted Buffalo for the proximity to Toronto and situational purposes.  

People get traded with NMC, they just choose where, so think that part is understood by Buffalo.    But, he only got $1mm in bonus, $7mm in salary.     That seems risky in addition to playing on a 1yr deal.

9 hours ago, titans04 said:

Absolutely, and I think everybody is, has and will be saying it for at least the next year of two. 

Honestly unless Hall suffers a career threatening injury I don't think this was a bad move.  Playing with Eichel for a coach he really liked in Edmonton could work out ok.  He's betting on himself. Is he a strange bird, yeah for sure. 

Yeah even though I thought Colorado made the most sense for him, going to Buffalo isn't as kooky as some are making it out to be...they have a top center, he's not far from his home, and he could wind up being traded to a contender anyway, should the Sabres falter.  

The above being said, time to go SD lady analogy...Taylor Hall is that very attractive 30-year-old that you're kinda shocked at the fact that not only isn't she married yet, she's somehow not even with anyone at the moment...she's actually single.  Somehow she falls into your lap, and you can't believe that somehow YOU'RE the one now dating her.  But there always seems like there's something just a little off, that you can't quite put your finger on.  There's good moments, sure...even some great ones, where you feel like she could indeed be the one.  But so many other times she seems kind of moody and aloof.  There's a few too many moments of awkward silence, and when you try to break them, you can't help but feel like everything that you say and do is somehow wrong...more often than you'd like, you feel like you're walking on eggshells...for some reason, she never seems like she's truly happy (unless it's in relatively short spurts).  Eventually you realize she's not quite everything that you'd hoped she'd be, and you break up, and your feelings about the whole experience are suitably mixed...you're a little bummed that it didn't work out, yet relieved that she's now going to be someone else's problem.

You're not all that surprised when you hear that her next relationship didn't pan out either...and when you hear that she's moved on to someone else who seems like he could be really good for her, you can't help but wonder if someone like that truly exists for someone like her.  Because things just have a way of not working out for her, no matter who she's with, no matter the situation.  And once you know that fully and understand that, it's that much easier to let the memory of her go...even if you had some great times together.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

14 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

All teams / owners lost a crazy amount of money and will lose more money again this year without fans in the stands for awhile. There's also tons of uncertainty of how this season will go. So many teams simpler wouldn't spend as much as they usually would. They've talked about this non-stop during the  free agency broadcast all day

I haven't watched any of the broadcast shows, and I do hear what you're saying, but let's not pretend these owners don't have insanely deep pockets, and so far the only ones who lost money are the ones that made the playoffs.  Everyone else missed out on like 5 or 6 home games in the final dozen games of the regular season.  

If there was a better free agent on the market, someone like Matthews who would command 12-14M or more, GMs and teams wouldn't say 'oh, you're only gonna get half that because of what's going on with Covid right now".  Trust me, they'd be paying it. Hall got what he got because that's what he deserves. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I haven't watched any of the broadcast shows, and I do hear what you're saying, but let's not pretend these owners don't have insanely deep pockets, and so far the only ones who lost money are the ones that made the playoffs.  Everyone else missed out on like 5 or 6 home games in the final dozen games of the regular season.  

If there was a better free agent on the market, someone like Matthews who would command 12-14M or more, GMs and teams wouldn't say 'oh, you're only gonna get half that because of what's going on with Covid right now".  Trust me, they'd be paying it. Hall got what he got because that's what he deserves. 

Well clearly that's what you want to believe lol so just go and be happy.

I personally trust what i'm seeing and hearing, not what i want to believe. The drastic drop in signings compared to other years, the lack of big contracts, the amount of short term deals we've seen, quotes from owners and GMs, quotes from experts and all that. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Watch, Cory has a career year and leads the Isles to the cup with the most iconic resurgence in NHL history. Lol it would only be fitting for our luck. 

That's the song every year with him though.     He could still do, but history is against him.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Well clearly that's what you want to believe lol so just go and be happy.

I personally trust what i'm seeing and hearing, not what i want to believe. The drastic drop in signings compared to other years, the lack of big contracts, the amount of short term deals we've seen, quotes from owners and GMs, quotes from experts and all that. 

All good my man - it's what makes the world go round.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Good for Cory but lol at Lou... 

This is incredible. Lou doesn't even try to hide the fact that he consistently goes after retreads.  

Good for Cory for getting another deal, and maybe he'll be better with a better defense in front of him, but I doubt he's got much left, and I certainly don't thin he's gonna be durable enough to carry the load for very long.  Who knows how he'd do in any sort of deep playoff run.  One thing he's got going for him is the fact that the upcoming season is likely to be a shortened one. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

let Greiss and Lehner walk and sign Schneider. amazing move

Lehner was enough of a wild card that I could understand taking a one-year flyer on him, being happy that you got what you got out of him, then deciding to move on.  You're also leaving out that Lou signed Varlamov, which isn't really fair.  

But at this point, I'm definitely going with Greiss over Cory.  Based on the past four seasons, Cory looks like a pretty significant downgrade.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lehner was enough of a wild card that I could understand taking a one-year flyer on him, being happy that you got what you got out of him, then deciding to move on.  You're also leaving out that Lou signed Varlamov, which isn't really fair.  

But at this point, I'm definitely going with Greiss over Cory.  Based on the past four seasons, Cory looks like a pretty significant downgrade.  

I can't quite figure out if i just knew you'd comment on my post to defend Lou. Is it cause i am gifted with some premonition ability.. or because historically you never missed a single opportunity through the last 10 years to do it. every. single. time. ? Even when you don't have to and take things i say the wrong way.

Well i guess we'll never know. I must have a gift. 

My only point was that he got a worst goalie than what he had. As a result of him doing what he ALWAYS does. Letting guys he'd need walk and signing his old players way past their prime. It's a pattern. You can nitpick and try to make sense of every single decisions like you always do to try to make sense out of it if you want. It's a pattern and it was a tongue-in-cheek mocking that typical pattern, its as simple as that.

Get out with the whole "leaving out varlamov", that wasn't the point at all

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I can't quite figure out if i just knew you'd comment on my post to defend Lou. Is it cause i am gifted with some premonition ability.. or because historically you never missed a single opportunity through the last 10 years to do it. every. single. time. ? Even when you don't have to and take things i say the wrong way.

Well i guess we'll never know. I must have a gift. 

My only point was that he got a worst goalie than what he had. As a result of him doing what he ALWAYS does. Letting guys he'd need walk and signing his old players way past their prime. It's a pattern. You can nitpick and try to make sense of every single decisions like you always do to try to make sense out of it if you want. It's a pattern, its as simple as that.

Get out with the whole "leaving out varlamov", that wasn't the point at all

OK, now you just sound dumb, and you're basically being a d!ck for no reason.  You tried to lump losing Lehner and Greiss together.  All I did was point out that he allowed one guy "to walk" (and that guy did have some issues prior) so that he could sign someone else via UFA.  

In the case of Griess, I fvcking AGREED with you that I would've just kept him, instead of signing Cory, and that Cory is absolutely a downgrade.  So what is your friggin' problem man?!  Jesus.  

• Like 1