2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

5 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

He wouldn't even discuss a contract with Ray. Zero loyalty so screw him 

You're leaving out plenty (not much surprise there).  The real problem was Hall suffered his knee injury, so it didn't make much sense for the Devils to make him an offer without knowing if he could bounce back fully, and it didn't make sense for Hall's agent to talk contract without seeing what he could do on the ice.  Well, as we know, the team didn't play well, Hall was OK but far from his MVP form, it quickly became obvious that making a big offer to Hall (that he wasn't likely to take, given the state of the team) wouldn't make much sense, and Shero did the smart thing and moved him for what he could get.  I still think if the Devils were playing well and showing legit signs of making progress, both Hall and Shero would've had more of a real conversation about an extension...not saying that Hall still wouldn't have waited to test the market, but from all accounts, it doesn't sound like any contract talks went anywhere.

I didn't care about the ear-cupping thing...what I said at the time is that I get the feeling Hall has just enough awkwardness within his sense of humor that he had no idea that what was supposed to be a relatively harmless joke on his part would get blown up in some circles.  I don't think he was trying to piss people off at the time.    

4 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Then he signs with buffalo...yup there's a perennial playoff beast if I've see one...🙄

Way to read the COVID-filled room.  His chance to get a big contract in 2020-21 dried up with the current market and environment, and the fact that his 2019-20 season was pretty underwhelming (especially since both the Devils and Coyotes, on the surface anyway, didn't seem to benefit much from his presence in the lineup...both teams posted better record without him).  Given that his best (and probably only) option was to bet on himself via a one-year deal, there's a lot worse places you can go than Buffalo, who obviously have a terrific center in Eichel.  I'd say at the very least, Hall put himself in a fine position to put up some glamour numbers, which should help his cause to get a better deal next year.  And if he's having a great season and Buffalo isn't contending, do you really think someone won't trade for him at or before the deadline?  Just because he's starting the season with Buffalo doesn't mean that he'll end his year there.  

I do agree with others that I think his chance to get that real beastly megadeal has sailed though...and if he misses significant time this season, he may have to settle for another one-year contract.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You're leaving out plenty (not much surprise there).  The real problem was Hall suffered his knee injury, so it didn't make much sense for the Devils to make him an offer without knowing if he could bounce back fully, and it didn't make sense for Hall's agent to talk contract without seeing what he could do on the ice.  Well, as we know, the team didn't play well, Hall was OK but far from his MVP form, it quickly became obvious that making a big offer to Hall (that he wasn't likely to take, given the state of the team) wouldn't make much sense, and Shero did the smart thing and moved him for what he could get.  I still think if the Devils were playing well and showing legit signs of making progress, both Hall and Shero would've had more of a real conversation about an extension...not saying that Hall still wouldn't have waited to test the market, but from all accounts, it doesn't sound like any contract talks went anywhere.

I didn't care about the ear-cupping thing...what I said at the time is that I get the feeling Hall has just enough awkwardness within his sense of humor that he had no idea that what was supposed to be a relatively harmless joke on his part would get blown up in some circles.  I don't think he was trying to piss people off at the time.    

Way to read the COVID-filled room.  His chance to get a big contract in 2020-21 dried up with the current market and environment, and the fact that his 2019-20 season was pretty underwhelming (especially since both the Devils and Coyotes, on the surface anyway, didn't seem to benefit much from his presence in the lineup...both teams posted better record without him).  Given that his best (and probably only) option was to bet on himself via a one-year deal, there's a lot worse places you can go than Buffalo, who obviously have a terrific center in Eichel.  I'd say at the very least, Hall put himself in a fine position to put up some glamour numbers, which should help his cause to get a better deal next year.  And if he's having a great season and Buffalo isn't contending, do you really think someone won't trade for him at or before the deadline?  Just because he's starting the season with Buffalo doesn't mean that he'll end his year there.  

I do agree with others that I think his chance to get that real beastly megadeal has sailed though...and if he misses significant time this season, he may have to settle for another one-year contract.  

What a great post; you are so correct. Thanks

I personally don't wish Hall success. Yeah I'm bitter about how things ended here, but also him or his agent really need to work on their canned answers to the media/fans. I know its not justifiable to most, but to me he seems disingenuous whenever he talks about a certain area or team. I get it, you have to protect yourself and say the "right things" to pass the time, but after a month of being at a new team, maybe don't use the almost identical line you used to your previous team less than 8 months earlier. Again, it isn't a good reason for most or literally anyone else, but that is how this one hockey fan approaches one specific player, take it for what you will.

As for his current team, I will not pretend I want them to have any success. I hope Mac is able to shut them out all 8 or 9 times we play them and they flounder at the basement. Sucks for Eichel but oh well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I personally don't wish Hall success. Yeah I'm bitter about how things ended here, but also him or his agent really need to work on their canned answers to the media/fans. I know its not justifiable to most, but to me he seems disingenuous whenever he talks about a certain area or team. I get it, you have to protect yourself and say the "right things" to pass the time, but after a month of being at a new team, maybe don't use the almost identical line you used to your previous team less than 8 months earlier. Again, it isn't a good reason for most or literally anyone else, but that is how this one hockey fan approaches one specific player, take it for what you will.

As for his current team, I will not pretend I want them to have any success. I hope Mac is able to shut them out all 8 or 9 times we play them and they flounder at the basement. Sucks for Eichel but oh well.

Hall doesn't strike me as a guy who's very easy to get to know, or lets a lot of people into his inner circle...he just seems like he's guarded in general.  I think he was actually pretty close to truly embracing being a Devil, after the MVP season (I think that season was a lot of fun for him)...but then a lousy Devils season, an injury that cost him over half that year, and then another lousy Devils season all just killed the vibe for him.   

Some guys do pretty much give canned responses and not much else...Derek Jeter was a master of it.  

23 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

you boo him? 

Hall was never booed when he had the puck in the arena in any place besides in his own mind. 

It was the team, the awful coach, terrible Cory and countless blown leads in the first 10 games of the season that resulted in the team's power play being booed in the 3rd period of a game where they had a 5-3 lead. 

1 - Winnipeg - 4-0 lead, 5-4 SO loss

2 - at Buffalo - 7-2 loss

3 - at Philadelphia - 4-0 loss

4 - Edmonton - 3-2 lead with under 90 seconds to go, 4-3 SO loss

5 - at Boston - 3-0 loss

6 - Florida - 4-1 lead, 6-4 loss

7 - Rangers - 5-2 win

8 - Vancouver - 1-0 win

9 - Arizona - 2-0 lead, 2-2 game, 3-2 lead, lost 5-3

10 - Tampa Bay - 5-3 lead, go down 6-5 before tying it with seconds to go and then losing 7-6 in OT 

It took 10 games before fans really let their frustrations show, they had just blown leads in 4 of their first 6 games at home and were in the process of doing it again during the Tampa Bay game. Fans started chanting fire hynes and booed the power play during that 3rd period cause they choked a lead away yet again.

Whether the expectations were warranted or not this team had a lot of hype going into that season and this was like an absolute train wreck to start the season. 

Hall then goes to whine on about the fans instead which nobody wants to hear about when the team is now 2-5-3 and has blown leads and lost 5 out of those 10 games on home ice. 

Then this guy comes out and scores his 2nd goal in the 11th game of the season and does a stupid celebration because“I thought I heard, I thought I was getting booed in the second period there,” Hall said. “So just making light of that fact " I was there, I never booed him and this never happened besides in his own mind. Of course after taking the lead 3-2 with his goal they give up a goal like 90 seconds later with Hall on the ice too and lost 4-3 in a SO. 

Hall became an absolute clown to me over this nonsense. Sure he had an epic amazing run that one season  that he won't ever duplicate but in the grand scheme of things in Devils history it won't mean much, we got to witness 1 measly playoff win and appearance and then he went out like a sour puss. 

Even though Kovy went out horribly as well I have way better memories of his run here than I will ever have of Hall. 

I'm hoping Hall goes back to the West so we can see and hear about him even less. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Hall was never booed when he had the puck in the arena in any place besides in his own mind. 

It was the team, the awful coach, terrible Cory and countless blown leads in the first 10 games of the season that resulted in the team's power play being booed in the 3rd period of a game where they had a 5-3 lead. 

1 - Winnipeg - 4-0 lead, 5-4 SO loss

2 - at Buffalo - 7-2 loss

3 - at Philadelphia - 4-0 loss

4 - Edmonton - 3-2 lead with under 90 seconds to go, 4-3 SO loss

5 - at Boston - 3-0 loss

6 - Florida - 4-1 lead, 6-4 loss

7 - Rangers - 5-2 win

8 - Vancouver - 1-0 win

9 - Arizona - 2-0 lead, 2-2 game, 3-2 lead, lost 5-3

10 - Tampa Bay - 5-3 lead, go down 6-5 before tying it with seconds to go and then losing 7-6 in OT 

Oh man, I remember these games in far more detail than I could ever want to...I was there for many of the home games.  I was there for the opener, against Winnipeg (my daughter met Erika that night).  Was also at the Florida game (broke out the McMullen Night Zacha GW for that one...he had three points in that game, before it all went to sh!t).  Fortunately I went to the Ranger game with my daughter, my best friend, and his son (the latter two are Ranger fans)...when the Devils were losing 1-0 I was already thinking "Jesus H, not ANOTHER loss!"  It was a relief that the Devils not only finally got their first win of the season, but got it against the Rangers.  My daughter and I got to see Jack's first goal, which was pretty awesome (even if it was the only one of the game, against his brother's Canucks).  I'm not 100% sure (they all start to blend together), but I think I was at either the Arizona or Tampa Bay game (possibly both)...we took in a LOT of games last season.  I remember leaving more than a few of them plenty pissed.

The start to last season was so wretched, really...I know that they kinda-sorta settled things down a little (they were 9-11-4, which considered how bad they looked to start the season didn't seem too too bad), but then they went 0-6-1 after that and during that run were completely non-competitive for just about all of it (outscored 27-10).  This 2-0-1 start feels like SUCH a breath of fresh air, truly...especially with reinforcements eventually on the way.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

So inspirational. It's hard to argue against facts.

Looking back at all those terrible NHL rosters who kept losing but suddenly managed to turn it around and win cups purely based on the determination and skills their booing crowds brought them every night. It's nothing short of magical. 

Edited by SterioDesign

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hall doesn't strike me as a guy who's very easy to get to know, or lets a lot of people into his inner circle...he just seems like he's guarded in general.  I think he was actually pretty close to truly embracing being a Devil, after the MVP season (I think that season was a lot of fun for him)...but then a lousy Devils season, an injury that cost him over half that year, and then another lousy Devils season all just killed the vibe for him.   

Some guys do pretty much give canned responses and not much else...Derek Jeter was a master of it.  

Oh I fully bought in that he wanted to be a Devil and was that knee injury away from being a fixture on the team for years to come. But saying the same crap he did in Arizona that he did when things were good here felt like a slight against the jersey, again justified or not. Then he goes to Buffalo and gives them a verbal HJ without even playing a game. 

don’t get me wrong, I’m not expecting motivational quotes from every athlete by any stretch, there’s just something about the way he’s been handling the last 18 months (give or take) that gets under my skin.

I agree with @Satans Hockey, I really hope he goes west again in his next stop so we only see him 2-3 times a season, if the schedule ever goes back to the old way.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Yep, that's the sort of commitment and determination that Torts just loves. Won't endear himself to the fans either.

I'm sure it didn't make his teammates happy either. That's just a terrible attitude, especially when you are expecting other teams to be fighting over your services

• Like 1