Zajac & Palms to NYI

jagknife

Just now, Lateralous said:

I guess I've just lost track of this thread but I'm saying I would like to have Zajac back.  It's hard to tell how much value he had as part of this trade but it doesn't seem like it was that much based on the rumored returns for Palmieri in which case I hope the benefits of getting the extra 4th? or whatever outweigh not having him work with our young guys for the rest of the season.   Sharagovich and Kuokkanen looked to be developing nicely along side him and if they did get to squeeze in any more practices, I would think he would be our best candidate for Jack to work on his faceoffs against.    

I would LOVE to have him back. No question. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I thought this was pretty obvious. 

I mean he is barely leaving the area...

Exactly. This is the best shot he probably has that allows him to be fairly local. Especially if he plans on retiring or coming back here next year. We know we sure aren't gonna give him a playoff run anytime soon

Just now, MB3 said:

If there’s someone on the forum who said in earnest that Travis Zajac “should never see the ice again”, they’re stupid. If i said it, I’m stupid. 

But I’d rather watch him limp into the sunset with a fvcking red and black #19 sweater than give him up for whatever the fvck this 4th round pick is going to be. 

He waived the NMC, he didn’t want to stay, he wanted to take his shot. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah it’s best case...there was no guarantee right at this moment that they were coming back, and the Devils have long been out of the running for anything resembling relevance.  Get what you can and call it a day.

Maybe I’m wrong, but as far as the rest of this season goes, I almost wonder how this team is going to win a game (even though they’ll likely win one here and there).

You just never know what lies in wait. Blackwood got hot last year, a pleasant surprise. Imagine if Jack Hughes all of a sudden starts converting the chances into points. We'll just have to see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If there’s someone on the forum who said in earnest that Travis Zajac “should never see the ice again”, they’re stupid. If i said it, I’m stupid. 

But I’d rather watch him limp into the sunset with a fvcking red and black #19 sweater than give him up for whatever the fvck this 4th round pick is going to be. 

I admit it, I thought he was toast based on his play earlier this season, before he roared to life when placed on a line centering Sharangovich and Kuokkanen. Hindsight being 20/20, it was probably the recovery from Covid that made Zajac look so sluggish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Yeah I get that. I’m just really sad. One of my all timers, and I really can’t picture him in another jersey. 

Will wear my zajac jersey to the Pru with pride.

Sad, yeah. I have that going on too. But I understand it from both sides. 

Zero reason to not wear a Zajac jersey in perpetuity, he’s one of the guys who will always be ok to wear. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Yeah I get that. I’m just really sad. One of my all timers, and I really can’t picture him in another jersey. 

Will wear my zajac jersey to the Pru with pride.

Re:  the sadness...same here.  Palms I knew was coming.  Zajac feels like more of a shock (though clearly there was a chance that he could be moved).  Seeing him in a friggin’ Isles jersey...don’t even like thinking about it.

I have Zajac’s Brodeur and Elias retirement night jerseys.  I’ll also wear them with pride.

You will be missed Travis.  Thank you for always being a good soldier here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Thinking about it, the crazy part is...this could just be the start. We have 3 expiring defensemen yet, plus Aaron Dell. 

It’s feeling more and more like a rebuild within a rebuild.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I won’t be surprised if one of them is back next year.  Still just feels like a possibility. 

I will be.  When was the last time we traded away a guy at the deadline and they came back willingly the next year?  For that matter, go league-wide and look at every other team too.  I think you'll see it's not that common at all, and why should it be?  If you played somewhere your entire career, or played for a team for a short time and then just happened to get shipped out at the deadline, or both, why exactly would you want to return the following year, assuming they don't give you a Bonnie and Clyde contract worth stupid money?  Most likely you're going to want to see what the rest of the league is like if you played your entire career for one team (Zajac), or you're going to call sour grapes and want to get money elsewhere on a franchise that thinks you're a part of the puzzle rather than expendable (Palms).  

In rare cases you may have the guy whose life and family situation may make it a priority for him to return to his former team (not wanting to uproot kids. spouses, etc), but I think that's the extreme exception, not the norm.

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If anything, this is a loss of two guys who may have eventually passed Zacha in points, so it’s two steps closer to me having to buy a fvcking Zacha jersey. 

I think this was part of Fitzgerald’s rationale for making the deal. 🤣

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I will be.  When was the last time we traded away a guy at the deadline and they came back willingly the next year?  For that matter, go league-wide and look at every other team too.  I think you'll see it's not that common at all, and why should it be?  If you played somewhere your entire career, or played for a team for a short time and then just happened to get shipped out at the deadline, or both, why exactly would you want to return the following year, assuming they don't give you a Bonnie and Clyde contract worth stupid money?  Most likely you're going to want to see what the rest of the league is like if you played your entire career for one team (Zajac), or you're going to call sour grapes and want to get money elsewhere on a franchise that thinks you're a part of the puzzle rather than expendable (Palms).  

In rare cases you may have the guy whose life and family situation may make it a priority for him to return to his former team (not wanting to uproot kids. spouses, etc), but I think that's the extreme exception, not the norm.

I never said it was common.  Just that in these particular cases (and in the current environment), one of them coming back wouldn’t shock me.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I never said it was common.  Just that in these particular cases (and in the current environment), one of them coming back wouldn’t shock me.  

It might take offering him the best or close-to-the-best deal on the market, but I could see Palmieri wanting to come back. I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

It might take offering him the best or close-to-the-best deal on the market, but I could see Palmieri wanting to come back. I could be wrong.

I think he would happily come back too.  

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s feeling more and more like a rebuild within a rebuild.  

Think of it as clearing space for all the young players to blossom (sorry for the corny analogy). I take it as a lot of our young players are knocking on the door and demanding ice time. Palms and Zajac were never going to be part of the competitive window. So we clear them out and we get some assets back on top of it.

Happy with the 1st. I’m shocked Travis is gone, but it is what it is. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s back next year. Thanks for the memories Trav!

A 1st for Palms is great. He hasn’t been playing extremely well and hasn’t exactly been lighting it up this season either. 

Other moves are coming. It’s gonna be an interesting few days for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Because when you're picking after 20, it's a dart throw. But my real answer is because it's Travis Zajac and Kyle Palmieri, two players who did a good job for us. And it's the Islanders, not the Flyers or Rangers. That makes a difference, at least to me it does. 

Nah they're not the Flyers and Rangers but they aren't a totally irrelevant team like the Wild either, they are at least a quasi-rival especially with how they've kicked the crap out of us in recent years.  I'm not all that invested in Palmieri winning this year as much as I like him, he'll have other chances. 

As much as I'd like to see Zajac and Greene win in a vaccum, the whole Lou Devils South thing is just more of a kick in the teeth reminding us what we're missing now and that's not even getting into the fact we have first 'and' 2nd round pick spots that are influenced by where the Isles finish.  Let's face it, futures and magic beans are all we have at this point.  I don't get into rooting for the Devils to lose to improve our pick spot - particularly with lotteries involved - but I sure as sh!t am fine with other teams losing to improve our pick spot.

Plus them going to the Isles, I think there's actually more of a chance they re-sign there then if they went to most other random teams.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3