GDT: Tue, May 4, 7:00 PM the Boston Borings @ NJ

DevilMinder

16 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

sad news today. after 19 years i had to put my cat to sleep today.

what a sh!tty day, to make things worse he was a huge devils jinx(minus 2003).

in honor of my great cat i hope the devils lose in overtime. just one last time.

Dude...this is some crazy fate. Wanna know something?  I was literally just about to write at the start of my post "Can we get real for a moment?" I'll explain in some detail:

Tomorrow I am going to put down my cat of 15 years.  I knew it was coming and it pains me to do it, but I know she will be in a better place and no longer suffering or in discomfort.  I've been trying to prepare for the moment, but today I cried a little as it became official and I made the appointment. 

I don't know any of you personally (other than meeting 1214 at a Lightning game a few years ago for just a few minutes), but you guys are cool as hell and we all suffer (and sometimes celebrate) together, so in a way you feel like a weird family, in a good way - and in that regard I've shared a few personal details of my life before.  I took a weird path in life and got together with a woman who was a girlfriend and pseudo-wife to me, and 3 kids who were my step-children - all of them together were and are my family - but unfortunately it didn't work out, and although I still see them from time to time, the kids are grown and the girl is gone, and for the past few years I have been essentially by myself.  With one big exception:  the family cat.  This cat has kept me company when the family moved out of the house that we spent 10 years in;  I probably would have went insane if not for her.  She also kept me company when I sold the house and moved into an apartment for 3 months - a placed I hated and couldn't stand being in.  And up until today, she has kept me company in a new house I bought and have been living in alone.  I love my home and I've adjusted to life by myself, but it's an eerie and often lonely feeling when you come home to an empty house and nothing but silence.  It can get to you. When you see a little happy and furry animal walk by or sit with you while you eat, there's a simple joy that comes over you and comforts you.  Maybe it's a reminder of the past, but it's just nice having some company, especially from something that asks nothing of you except love and companionship.  

There are few things in life that bring me joy, but the Devils are one of them, even when they're losing, and as sad and depressing as this may be to my social life or man-card status, my cat has been next to me on the couch while I sat like a little boy, watching, yelling, cheering, and screaming at them, night after night, year after year.  Tonight, as she literally sits in my shower looking for a quiet place to pass, and although she can barely move anymore, when the 3rd period ended I went an carefully picked her up and brought her onto the couch.  She cried a little, but I wanted her to sit with me through one more game, hoping we would win.  We all just saw the ending, and how cool that Zacha of all players (sorry mfitz) scored on a beauty of a back-hander in OT.  The game didn't mean anything to us in the standings, but man did that mean something to me.  I'm not a huge religious guy and I don't really believe in coincidences, but I can't help but think that my cat had something to do with tonight's victory.  It's a wonderful moment during our last home game of the season and a perfect send off for the difficult task I face tomorrow.  

I'm sorry for the long-winded post and for probably bringing people down, but I was going to post something like this anyway, and the fact that you are going through the same thing and mentioned it right before I did... that to me is amazing.  Life works in weird ways.  I know how much your cat meant to you, especially since you've had him for longer than I've had mine.  My deepest and sincerest condolences to you and I hope you can look back on the fond memories you had of him.  

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 8

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Tonight, as she literally sits in my shower looking for a quiet place to pass, and although she can barely move anymore, when the 3rd period ended I went an carefully picked her up and brought her onto the couch.  She cried a little, but I wanted her to sit with me through one more game, hoping we would win.  We all just saw the ending, and how cool that Zacha of all players (sorry mfitz) scored on a beauty of a back-hander in OT.  The game didn't mean anything to us in the standings, but man did that mean something to me.  I'm not a huge religious guy and I don't really believe in coincidences, but I can't help but think that my cat had something to do with tonight's victory.  It's a wonderful moment during our last home game of the season and a perfect send off for the difficult task I face tomorrow.  

Really sorry to hear this but I’m glad you at least got such a great last game to watch and share together.   

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Really sorry to hear this but I’m glad you at least got such a great last game to watch and share together.   

Thanks man.  As OT started I was thinking to myself "Even if they lose, I'll still take solace in the fact that this cat was with me through so many tough and trying moments as a Devils fan the past decade or so", but of course hoping we would win - and the fact that we did - so awesome.  I really needed some closure, and I think I got it.

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Dude...this is some crazy fate. Wanna know something?  I was literally just about to write at the start of my post "Can we get real for a moment?" I'll explain in some detail:

Tomorrow I am going to put down my cat of 15 years.  I knew it was coming and it pains me to do it, but I know she will be in a better place and no longer suffering or in discomfort.  I've been trying to prepare for the moment, but today I cried a little as it became official and I made the appointment. 

I don't know any of you personally (other than meeting 1214 at a Lightning game a few years ago for just a few minutes), but you guys are cool as hell and we all suffer (and sometimes celebrate) together, so in a way you feel like a weird family, in a good way - and in that regard I've shared a few personal details of my life before.  I took a weird path in life and got together with a woman who was a girlfriend and pseudo-wife to me, and 3 kids who were my step-children - all of them together were and are my family - but unfortunately it didn't work out, and although I still see them from time to time, the kids are grown and the girl is gone, and for the past few years I have been essentially by myself.  With one big exception:  the family cat.  This cat has kept me company when the family moved out of the house that we spent 10 years in;  I probably would have went insane if not for her.  She also kept me company when I sold the house and moved into an apartment for 3 months - a placed I hated and couldn't stand being in.  And up until today, she has kept me company in a new house I bought and have been living in alone.  I love my home and I've adjusted to life by myself, but it's an eerie and often lonely feeling when you come home to an empty house and nothing but silence.  It can get to you. When you see a little happy and furry animal walk by or sit with you while you eat, there's a simple joy that comes over you and comforts you.  Maybe it's a reminder of the past, but it's just nice having some company, especially from something that asks nothing of you except love and companionship.  

There are few things in life that bring me joy, but the Devils are one of them, even when they're losing, and as sad and depressing as this may be to my social life or man-card status, my cat has been next to me on the couch while I sat like a little boy, watching, yelling, cheering, and screaming at them, night after night, year after year.  Tonight, as she literally sits in my shower looking for a quiet place to pass, and although she can barely move anymore, when the 3rd period ended I went an carefully picked her up and brought her onto the couch.  She cried a little, but I wanted her to sit with me through one more game, hoping we would win.  We all just saw the ending, and how cool that Zacha of all players (sorry mfitz) scored on a beauty of a back-hander in OT.  The game didn't mean anything to us in the standings, but man did that mean something to me.  I'm not a huge religious guy and I don't really believe in coincidences, but I can't help but think that my cat had something to do with tonight's victory.  It's a wonderful moment during our last home game of the season and a perfect send off for the difficult task I face tomorrow.  

I'm sorry for the long-winded post and for probably bringing people down, but I was going to post something like this anyway, and the fact that you are going through the same thing and mentioned it right before I did... that to me is amazing.  Life works in weird ways.  I know how much your cat meant to you, especially since you've had him for longer than I've had mine.  My deepest and sincerest condolences to you and I hope you can look back on the fond memories you had of him.  

i am so happy your cat got you the win, and last night mine got us the loss. just feels right.

we did everything the we could, gave them the best life. they were our bff's and we're grateful that they allowed us into their lives. i am 38, cried a lot, but knew it was the right thing. i'm sure you feel the same. love ya buddy. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MB3 said:

nah not specifically you at all; this entire forum screamed at me that he was a no-talent bust for 4 years. this entire forum mocked me for loving him for 4 years, laughed at me for saying “he’s a teenager give him fvcking time”, and now FINALLY when it’s time to eat some crow most of this forum is pretending like they knew it the whole time.

par for the course with this place but hooooly fvckin sh!t fellas 

Defending Zacha against the hordes of haters has probably been one of the few things we've seen eye to eye on through the years—— and I think we both joined in 06.

• Like 1

Jack’s post game interview essentially sums up my thoughts on why I appreciate these late season wins. He seemed to think very positively of this group of guys and is on board for this being a process with some growing pains. But I think you need to see some results to inspire that kind of confidence in one of the future leaders of the team. 

Our draft position might suffer a bit, but if we end up picking 6th, it’s not out of the question that we could end up with one of those top 3 defensemen, if that’s what Fitzgerald is targeting.

Anyway, great game. Nice to see Zacha finding some consistency and continuing to play with confidence. If he has turned a corner in his game (and I really think he has), he will be an important part of this team moving forward. With how good Bratt has looked, and a healthy Nico, that line should could have some big time success next season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

What a find. Between him in the 5th, and Bratt in the 6th, you can’t ask for any more out of your scouting department. 

Speaking of Bratt, I thought he played very well tonight, even though he didn't have any points. Does anyone have any advanced stats to back me up? :D

First time Jack ever looked like he was having fun in an interview.

”God Damn, tell this guy to buy a car or something”. 

Just now, Jerrydevil said:

Speaking of Bratt, I thought he played very well tonight, even though he didn't have any points. Does anyone have any advanced stats to back me up? :D

I bet there are advanced stats that say he was great and also that he sucked. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

sad news today. after 19 years i had to put my cat to sleep today.

what a sh!tty day, to make things worse he was a huge devils jinx(minus 2003).

in honor of my great cat i hope the devils lose in overtime. just one last time.

I just wanted to say that I am sorry for your loss.  A lot of people don’t view our pets as part of the family but my Basset Winston was like my first child.  When I had to put him to sleep in October of 2014 I was a mess.  He had been there for me during some truly awful periods in my life and I still miss him terribly.  So I understand how you feel.  If you ever want someone to talk to or a friendly ear (eye?) feel free to PM.  It is a terrible injustice that these animals lives are so short and yet they burrow so deep into our hearts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wow, didn’t see your post until after replying to Pumpkin.  As with Pumpkin, if you ever need a friendly eye (or is it ear still, despite the messages being read?  I have no clue clearly.) please feel free to PM.  Words are always so weak when you are about to forever lose a long trusted and loved companion, but I am so sorry this is happening

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AEWHistory said:

I just wanted to say that I am sorry for your loss.  A lot of people don’t view our pets as part of the family but my Basset Winston was like my first child.  When I had to put him to sleep in October of 2014 I was a mess.  He had been there for me during some truly awful periods in my life and I still miss him terribly.  So I understand how you feel.  If you ever want someone to talk to or a friendly ear (eye?) feel free to PM.  It is a terrible injustice that these animals lives are so short and yet they burrow so deep into our hearts.

❤️

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

nah not specifically you at all; this entire forum screamed at me that he was a no-talent bust for 4 years. this entire forum mocked me for loving him for 4 years, laughed at me for saying “he’s a teenager give him fvcking time”, and now FINALLY when it’s time to eat some crow most of this forum is pretending like they knew it the whole time.

The entire forum? Sure there’s been a lot of posters that just don’t understand player development whatsoever and have sh!t on him but there’s also been a ton of people on this board, myself included, defending Zacha for years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

I found this. Don't ask me what it means. I'm researching what xG% means now.

Expected goals. Perfect example. Both Bratt and Zacha were above 50 percent. Zacha had two goals, neither at even strength, and Bratt had none. 

Such a useful stat. 

6 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

Wow, didn’t see your post until after replying to Pumpkin.  As with Pumpkin, if you ever need a friendly eye (or is it ear still, despite the messages being read?  I have no clue clearly.) please feel free to PM.  Words are always so weak when you are about to forever lose a long trusted and loved companion, but I am so sorry this is happening

Thanks very much for the offer and the kind words.  Much appreciated.

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

not entire forum. there were enough people who were on the light side of the force. you would be surprised if you will check twitter how many people still think he he is a bust with hot streak.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

oh cmon. i said he was a bust a year ago, but i did say he did have the tools. anyone could see that. i'm sure there are others with me 

I said earlier this season that if he was going to be a career checking center, I could accept it. I’m pleased he’s made himself tradable now. 😃

Let’s also point out, there were a lot of people that started out saying how good Zacha was, then stopped up until last season, and then started again now that he’s playing good. 

The idea that some people have been supporting him from the very beginning there’s a false narrative. Some have, sure, but some definitely jump on and off the train.

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

I said earlier this season that if he was going to be a career checking center, I could accept it. I’m pleased he’s made himself tradable now. 😃

Valid point also. Inverse, his best season, the dude has 33 points. He’s not exactly a superstar. He’s only a superstar on our roster.

• Like 1