2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

44 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That Deboer deal is looking like over 4 million a season. Dang. Didn’t realize he was that coveted 

He seems to have a knack of getting the best out of teams who want to take that final step towards being a contender.  He did it with NJ and SJ and somewhat successful in Vegas.

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

He seems to have a knack of getting the best out of teams who want to take that final step towards being a contender.  He did it with NJ and SJ and somewhat successful in Vegas.

If you had to pick between him and Ruff, who do you choose?

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If you had to pick between him and Ruff, who do you choose?

I’d take Deboer too, although as DM84 said he’s great for a team taking the next step and I don’t think we are at that point yet. I just didn’t realize the kind of money he’s able to command these days. Good for him 

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’d take Deboer too, although as DM84 said he’s great for a team taking the next step and I don’t think we are at that point yet. I just didn’t realize the kind of money he’s able to command these days. Good for him 

Part of me wants to say he got shafted by the Vegas non-existent loyalty, but he made it VERY obvious he wanted Lehner over Fleury and it bit him in the ass HARD.

He isn't great developing young talent, but as long as your team is ready for the next step, he'll get you to the finals (see 2012 NJ and whatever year San Jose)

23 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Wasn't one of the biggest criticisms spoken about, here or maybe elsewhere, how he handled young guys? 

I think that’s the biggest criticism of (insert the name of your least favorite NJDevs member) . 

Edited by mfitz804

16 hours ago, jagknife said:

Part of me wants to say he got shafted by the Vegas non-existent loyalty, but he made it VERY obvious he wanted Lehner over Fleury and it bit him in the ass HARD.

He isn't great developing young talent, but as long as your team is ready for the next step, he'll get you to the finals (see 2012 NJ and whatever year San Jose)

I really don't see that in PDB.  Outside of Larsson, I cannot name another player during his tenure that didn't develop.  Henrique turned out alright and we got the best playing days out of guys like Fayne, Gionta, etc.

I would say coaches like Nas have been worse in terms of developing our talent.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I really don't see that in PDB.  Outside of Larsson, I cannot name another player during his tenure that didn't develop.  Henrique turned out alright and we got the best playing days out of guys like Fayne, Gionta, etc.

I would say coaches like Nas have been worse in terms of developing our talent.

nASS was in a league by himself.  Damned near EVERYTHING he touched turned to complete sh!t (or at the very least performed far below expectations).  At least he got endless time to prove that he wasn't any good though.  Just glad he's gone.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Ottawa has an agreement for a new downtown arena.  That’s great for them because their current arena situation sucks.   Cookie cutter building way outside of downtown.  

837BAA48-EA96-4CFD-9EF0-4F3E6F2ED9B8.webp

Now that is a team I’m happy is staying put. Not that I have a dog in the fight but it feels right to have a Canadian team staying. Their fans clearly support them, and now that their biggest roadblock of an owner is out of the picture, they’re progressing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Now that is a team I’m happy is staying put. Not that I have a dog in the fight but it feels right to have a Canadian team staying. Their fans clearly support them, and now that their biggest roadblock of an owner is out of the picture, they’re progressing. 

Good for Ottawa. Now Calgary needs to get their arena situation straight. And Arizona did at least take a step in the right direction; so maybe they’ll actually have an agreement for an actual arena soon, which would lessen the embarrassment of playing in a college arena. https://www.abc15.com/sports/coyotes-taking-next-steps-toward-building-new-arena?_amp=true

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good for Ottawa. Now Calgary needs to get their arena situation straight. And Arizona did at least take a step in the right direction; so maybe they’ll actually have an agreement for an actual arena soon, which would lessen the embarrassment of playing in a college arena. https://www.abc15.com/sports/coyotes-taking-next-steps-toward-building-new-arena?_amp=true

I know they get a lot of crap but I really hope that Arizona gets the deal for a new arena in Tempe.   They would kill it there.   There are hockey fans in Arizona but they’ve been fed a sh!t product out in the middle of nowhere for way too long.  

That franchise got totally screwed when the voters of Scottsdale approved funding for a new arena and then the local government nixed it.   They would have thrived in that part of the city.  Glendale was a panic move that they are still paying for.   

• Like 1

Good for Ottawa, I really enjoyed being there for the 03 conference finals. Their fans and the city were absolutely incredible atmosphere wise. Literally every car and store/house had Sens flags on it when I was there. Their arena though is literally the Canadian version of the Meadowlands, same sort of arena setup and in the middle of absolutely nowhere. 

They have had a sh!tty situation for awhile now and deserve better. 

I do hope they make the owners pay for the entire arena though. It's absolutely absurd that so many of these places are built with taxpayer's money when so many of these owners are billionaires. 

• Like 1

Fitz believes in Lindy as coach. I think getting a new PP,PK and asst coach(s). People are wanting Burnette? now PDB. (we ran him out of here) PDB is a great coach. And no, you don't hire coaches to "develop". Not his job to develope, it's to win now, not for a player to come around. Rico worked out as did  Lars.  Maybe, Lindy is OK working with prospects.  We're tired of rebuilding, but with a lot of youth in our line up.  I'm fine with Ruff as coach, he knows the game well. Fitz needs to start with goaltending. Why can't our s Euro scouts come up with a gem?