Devils claim Bastian off waivers

NJDevs4978

13 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

Why was he placed on waivers? It's not like the Kraken seems to be overflowing with talent.

It's an odd move. I really don't think they handled this expansion draft very well. 

Also great to have Bastian back in Jersey. 

• Like 2

And just like that, my GW RR Bastian suddenly gains renewed relevance.

So now here’s the most burning question:  do the Kraken show a Bastian tribute video, if he’s in the lineup when the Devils visit Seattle?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Hours later, this move is still just making me happy. I don’t know if it improves our team, but Mike and Nate must be so happy. 

This is one of those perfect “Well why the hell not?” kind of moves.  Didn’t cost the Devils a thing, and who knows, maybe he and McLeod can help each other.  I won’t be all that surprised if Bastian winds up on waivers again before the season’s over, but no quibbles at all with the Devils giving him another shot.

Not that expansion picks wind up being long-term solutions for their teams, but man, what a waste of a pick for the Kraken.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is one of those perfect “Well why the hell not?” kind of moves.  Didn’t cost the Devils a thing, and who knows, maybe he and McLeod can help each other.  I won’t be all that surprised if Bastian winds up on waivers again before the season’s over, but no quibbles at all with the Devils giving him another shot.

Not that expansion picks wind up being long-term solutions for their teams, but man, what a waste of a pick for the Kraken.  

Can be said about half of their freaking picks. Francis really blew that draft in so many ways, it makes our jersey flop look only slightly better, considering one can be rectified in two years while the other screwed a franchise off the hop.

Glad Nate’s coming back though, if for nothing but to give McLeod a buddy haha

9 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

totally unnecessary move.  Although i liked him ok when he was here, we didn't need Bastian.

It’s a total non-risk move…he only makes $825k this year and next, and last year he and McLeod played pretty well together.  Devils clearly thought enough of him to sign him to that deal…makes some sense that given an opportunity to get him back for nothing, that the Devils would take it.

Of course, if it doesn’t work out, no biggie, really…the Devils can put him back on waivers, and if he gets claimed, so be it.  And like mfitz noted, can’t say Geersten not playing is a bad thing.  

• Like 3

I`m so happy  because of it. Is 15-20 games enough to answer the question - how hard to create good fourth line. "We will replace him easily" - didn`t happen. Hope they will remember their chemistry. And bro story part. I`m still a human with feelings. I wasn`t a fan of his status on expansion draft, but I did understand situation.
After all Bastian has good metrics for 4th liner and the thing to play hard 10-12 minutes before top-9 players return on the ice is still a part of the game. And he was the rare player who was really hard player to play against. 
People who doesnt like it, can eat their own dislikes. They were sh-t from the beggining. Enjoy the meal.

And players are exited too. That was pretty sweet to see comments on Bastian page from Maltsev, Quenneville and Melchiori.

OK so the positive is that this will likely push Geertsen and/or Gauthier out of the lineup and I like that.

However, I am not going to fool myself into thinking this is some big thing.  It's a bit embarrassing that most DM's Friedman has ever received about waivers was about Nate fvcking Bastian.  Yikes.

37 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

OK so the positive is that this will likely push Geertsen and/or Gauthier out of the lineup and I like that.

However, I am not going to fool myself into thinking this is some big thing.  It's a bit embarrassing that most DM's Friedman has ever received about waivers was about Nate fvcking Bastian.  Yikes.

Its a feel-good thing for the fans, mostly. But he also fills a role with the physicality, has shows a little ability to score, we got the best from McLeod with him, etc.

Like I said above, does this move make us a better team? Probably not. But is there a downside? No. Potential minor upside? Yes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

“Yikes”? Don’t be so dramatic, dude. He’s a fan-favorite who fits perfectly into our bottom-6. He was dynamic on the 4th line last year and it means no more Geertson. He’s young, he’s cheap. 

What’s embarrassing about the fans being excited for that? Do high-profile players hit waivers all the time and I’ve just been too blind to see it? 

I am not the one bombing Friedman with DM's about if the Devils claimed a 4th line scrub from an expansion team on waivers, so I don't see how I am being dramatic here.

Yes, no more Geertsen is good, but it is embarrassing is how much our fans obsess about middling to sh!tty players.  Weather it is Stephen Gionta, Tootoo, Farnham or Bastian, it seems like our fans have more of a fetish for these kinds of players.  I guess that is what 10 years of largely being irrelevant will do.

58 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Geertsen is a scrub. Bastian was a valuable cog in the fourth line that does a little bit of everything. 

Instead of gatekeeping…. happiness (??!!?) … you could just not be doing that. 

But, even if Bastian and Geertsen were equal, it would still be a fine move. Fans are happier, McLeod is happier and was at his most productive when playing with Nate. 

That said, Bastian looks like an NHL player and Geertsen does not. It’s not going to make you a playoff team, but you upgraded your 4th line for free with someone you already know and only lost because you had to. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But, even if Bastian and Geertsen were equal, it would still be a fine move. Fans are happier, McLeod is happier and was at his most productive when playing with Nate. 

That said, Bastian looks like an NHL player and Geertsen does not. It’s not going to make you a playoff team, but you upgraded your 4th line for free with someone you already know and only lost because you had to. 

Exactly. There’s literally no downside to this move whatsoever.