2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's fine.  However, it does rub me the wrong way when he turns down a similar offer to what Columbus had by Calgary and claims it is not about the money.

Nothing new there. You're not even trying to make sense of these things, you just jump to conclusion to fill your gigantic desire to be negative about anything

Just now, pumpkin cutter said:

Usually players take a lil discount to play close to home, not drive up the price. 

That's lost on a few posters on here today.

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Nothing new there. You're not even trying to make sense of these things, you just jump to conclusion to fill your gigantic desire to be negative about anything

See pumpkin's post above.

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Not sure how much I believe him. 

WAIT but has anyone seen Chuck Fletchers Wiki Page?!? it has me dying RN lmao

Chuck Fletcher (born April 29, 1967) is a Canadian professional ice hockey executive who is determined to destroy the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League (NHL).[1]

• Haha 6

22 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You guys are good with 7x10.5 but not 7x12? Who gives a crap about the extra 1.5 per year?! Aren't the Devils paying Kuokkonen that much money to not play for them? 

1.5 million is not an insignificant difference.  But in general I hate the argument that hey you're willing to go to x amount of dollars, why not x plus a little more?  You could literally do that 'just a little more' logic over and over to keep justifying it until you went up to 30 million by that mindset, eventually there has to be a line in the sand somewhere.  As if 10.5 alone isn't already a big chunk of the cap let alone 12.

Besides, he already publicly said he wanted to leave Calgary for home...dare him to go to some outpost for money (assuming this is a real offer and not some invented fantasy from his agent).  There's still other solid plan B's out there.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

1.5 million is not an insignificant difference.  But in general I hate the argument that hey you're willing to go to x amount of dollars, why not x plus a little more?  You could literally do that until you went up to 30 million if you just keep saying another million here and two million there forever, eventually there has to be a line in the sand somewhere.  As if 10.5 alone isn't already a big chunk of the cap let alone 12.

Besides, he already publicly said he wanted to leave Calgary for home...dare him to go to some outpost for money.  There's still other solid plan B's out there.

Well hopefully Fitz has a Plan B unlike Draft Day

To me this situation makes a lot of sense

Based on wtv has been reported...

Johnny and his agent had a north of 10m x 8 million contract on the table. He turned it down claiming he wanted to be closer to home.

NJ is offering 7 x 10m+

NYI is offering 7 x less than 10m

So going on this. Im just assuming that it makes total sense that Gaudreau and his agent felt like they could match Calgary's offer on the market. They didn't talk to NJ or the islanders last night. They just left if on the table.

Now they got those 2 offers... which is like at least 10 MILLIONS less than what they would have gotten in Calgary. So it makes total sense that the agent would reach out to another team to put an offer out there matching the Calgary offer to drive up NJ's offer.

The ideal scenario would be NJ for the most money he can. This plan could make this happen. Only bidding against the Islanders bidding less won't get him more money.

Can't blame a guy for not trying to not leave 10+ million on the table.

This may be wrong. But it makes total sense and not at the very least choosing to assume this is a possibility and jumping to doom and gloom assumptions.. only proves you want to be doom and gloom

13 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

11 x 7.  No more.

I wouldn't match Panarin's deal.

uh oh, HFBoards crashing.  Is something happening.

The blue taggers there are so emotionally weak its sad.  Got banned numerous times for saying cory sucked and wasn't elite.  

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

weirdly enough for me the best case scenario is that Columbus trades us Laine so they can fit Johnny Hockey under the cap. Imagine Laine on Jack's line? 

I'll do that

1 minute ago, Guadana said:

Lets sign Palat and Nino for 4 years both. And give Johnny an opportunity to pick between Lou and Kekka.

I'll do that too

Just now, bobilly45 said:

The blue taggers there are so emotionally weak its sad.  Got banned numerous times for saying cory sucked and wasn't elite.  

Oh yeah the moderation is brutal there.  Some good posters in the Devils subforum though.

Yeah cross me way off the Laine train, that guy is a more talented Zacha, there is a reason two teams now have wanted nothing more than to get rid of him. He's disappears all the time in games, he is not a high motor guy, no thanks.

I swear most of you have the patience of a 3 year old, JG agent is doing his job, the GM for the Blue Jackets is doing his job after signing an awful contract for an average d earlier, he wants it known he is trying to win, calm down people.

• Like 1

LOL if Columbus trades Laine it sure as sh!t isn't going to be to us unless we give them some kind of sick markup.  You give Gaudreau THAT kind of offer and you're announcing you're a win-now team, you aren't gonna help out your division rival.

Edited by NJDevs4978