Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

About this, I expect that the prices will drop as the playoff dates become more finalized.  I can't imagine that too many fans will be willing to pay THAT much for first-round playoff seats...you've got some STH simply deciding to see if anyone is loony enough to bite on these initial insane prices.

But if that's what it ever costs to go to playoff games, count me out.  That's just fvcking nuts.

Small sample size but nobody around me is selling our tickets, we've had only 2 home playoff games since 2012 so I just don't see that many season ticket holders selling their tickets unless it's obvious we are getting knocked out.

Like if it's a situation where we can be swept if we aren't hosting or can get knocked out in 5 games cause we are down 3-1 then I can see people selling them off but for games 1 and 2 if we host I just don't see a lot of long term season ticket holders selling them off. 

Of course there will always be a ton of that sh!t blue and it will always look worse than it actually is cause it stands out but I'm really hoping we can win the division or the Rangers drop down to 4th cause I'd like to actually enjoy a full home atmosphere for our first playoff series since 2018 and not be annoyed and stressed out lol

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bonginator11 said:

Yea I expect prices to fall a bit too. But even if it’s 50% of that low end cost for the first round imagine how expensive Stanley Cup seats would be?

The playoffs are expensive period, my entire playoff invoice is only like 2.5k less than the entire 44 home games for the pre/regular season. 

We've "saved" so much money since 2012 with only having 2 home games since then that it doesn't even bother me at this point. 

41 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Small sample size but nobody around me is selling our tickets, we've had only 2 home playoff games since 2012 so I just don't see that many season ticket holders selling their tickets unless it's obvious we are getting knocked out.

Like if it's a situation where we can be swept if we aren't hosting or can get knocked out in 5 games cause we are down 3-1 then I can see people selling them off but for games 1 and 2 if we host I just don't see a lot of long term season ticket holders selling them off. 

Of course there will always be a ton of that sh!t blue and it will always look worse than it actually is cause it stands out but I'm really hoping we can win the division or the Rangers drop down to 4th cause I'd like to actually enjoy a full home atmosphere for our first playoff series since 2018 and not be annoyed and stressed out lol

And to be fair there’s not much inventory available on Stubhub or Vivid.  So even if some STH are making them available, it’s not very many.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

6 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Again regarding playoff tickets.. does anyone happen to know when they’ll be made available to the general public?

I'd assume around April 2nd because of this but with a possible Rangers series for the 1st round I can also see them holding off and trying to sell as many season ticket packages or full playoff strips first

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-2018-stanley-cup-playoffs-individual-tickets-on-sale-now/c-297570058

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'd assume around April 2nd because of this but with a possible Rangers series for the 1st round I can also see them holding off and trying to sell as many season ticket packages or full playoff strips first

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-2018-stanley-cup-playoffs-individual-tickets-on-sale-now/c-297570058

Thanks for the reply, a friend and I are looking to buy full strips when they go up.. but kind of dreading calling them for obvious reasons 

Ok, I know playoff experience is a thing, but why should it be?  What about having the experience benefits one team over another?  If a team is consistently winning during the regular season why should that not necessarily carry over into the playoffs if they’re playing the same game they did during the regular season, which brought them success?

Is it a line change thing in that teams need to take shorter shifts or just always know who to put out on the ice at just the right time?  Is it the physicality component that isn’t used as much during the regular season but once the playoffs come around the hits are thrown around much more?  Could that be part of the reason Lazar is brought into the lineup today to see what he can do for the Devils as it pertains to hits?

Also, I know the Devils beat Carolina and I’m very happy about that (I know, shocking).  However for a good portion of the game Carolina controlled the play in the Devils zone, especially after the 1st.  Would you attribute that to Carolina having more offensive talent across all 4 lines or more that the Devils were trying to avoid mistakes in the final 2 periods and prevent giving up the lead but not sitting back too much and trying to take advantage of a play when they saw the opportunity?

Is that why many say it will be a few years before the Devils are contenders?  Are they missing talent throughout the 4 lines that teams like the Bruins and Carolina have or is it more of this so called “experience”?

1 hour ago, ajsgolf said:

Ok, I know playoff experience is a thing, but why should it be?  What about having the experience benefits one team over another?  If a team is consistently winning during the regular season why should that not necessarily carry over into the playoffs if they’re playing the same game they did during the regular season, which brought them success?

Is it a line change thing in that teams need to take shorter shifts or just always know who to put out on the ice at just the right time?  Is it the physicality component that isn’t used as much during the regular season but once the playoffs come around the hits are thrown around much more?  Could that be part of the reason Lazar is brought into the lineup today to see what he can do for the Devils as it pertains to hits?

Also, I know the Devils beat Carolina and I’m very happy about that (I know, shocking).  However for a good portion of the game Carolina controlled the play in the Devils zone, especially after the 1st.  Would you attribute that to Carolina having more offensive talent across all 4 lines or more that the Devils were trying to avoid mistakes in the final 2 periods and prevent giving up the lead but not sitting back too much and trying to take advantage of a play when they saw the opportunity?

Is that why many say it will be a few years before the Devils are contenders?  Are they missing talent throughout the 4 lines that teams like the Bruins and Carolina have or is it more of this so called “experience”?

The physicality is a big part of it but I think making tactical adjustments and learning your opponent plays a bigger role in the playoffs than the regular season.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 11:59 AM, ajsgolf said:

Experience can mean something for some players because those games can feel larger than life to players not accustomed to them...and young players get used to what it's like to face stiff competition almost every night...no bottom-of-the-league patsies to fatten up on.  They also get used to playing teams multiple times in a row, where the opposing coaching staff can continue to attempt finding adjustments to find ways to slow them down and take them out of their game.  It's a different beast, and some players can't just waltz right into the playoffs and expect to have the same success, without getting a first-hand education as to what it takes to win upon getting there.

Fitz didn't necessarily bring in Palat to vastly improve the team's production, as much as he knows that Palat played several years for a winning team, and also showed the ability to raise his game when the stakes were higher.  He's the kind of guy who can settle things down, say, if the Devils fall behind 2-0 in a series, and the kids start to feel like they're already beaten or not quite ready.  That's where his real value is.

Keep in mind that Fitz's vision for what this team will be hasn't been fully realized yet...Timo is still not Timo yet due to needing time to adjust to a new system and new teammates, and the defensemen that figure to be a huge part of this thing in L Hughes and Nemec haven't played so much as a minute in the NHL yet.  Of course we'd all LOVE to see the Devils win a Cup this year, but I think the real "OK now it's as much OUR time as it is anyone else's!" window is probably another couple of seasons away...depends upon how quickly L Hughes and Nemec are able to develop and assert themselves.  And of course if goaltending good enough to win a Cup with is already in house.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Again regarding playoff tickets.. does anyone happen to know when they’ll be made available to the general public?

Was wondering the same thing and came across this on the devils site: https://www.nhl.com/devils/tickets/playoff-tickets

No date yet but, there is a pricing structure for members and general public that is more reasonable than those $300 listings.

1 hour ago, Henriqued said:

Was wondering the same thing and came across this on the devils site: https://www.nhl.com/devils/tickets/playoff-tickets

No date yet but, there is a pricing structure for members and general public that is more reasonable than those $300 listings.

Thanks for this.. reads like they are only going to sell all 16 game packages. Can’t just buy a couple games each round? 

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Thanks for this.. reads like they are only going to sell all 16 game packages. Can’t just buy a couple games each round? 

I'm sure they will eventually release single game tickets but just doing this to keep as many seats as possible for Devils fans. I'm sure there will be some but the average Rangers fan isn't gonna buy a 16 game package just to attend the first round. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm sure they will eventually release single game tickets but just doing this to keep as many seats as possible for Devils fans. I'm sure there will be some but the average Rangers fan isn't gonna buy a 16 game package just to attend the first round. 

Right, also im curious how the refunding will work if its a short post season.. if they pull that well refund it to your account sh!t im going to be pissed and that would really be sh!tty. Laying out a lot of extra money in general being that we aren’t going to have 4 home games a round..theres only a possible 7 games per round. I understand how they’re doing it i get it, just saying

52 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Right, also im curious how the refunding will work if its a short post season.. if they pull that well refund it to your account sh!t im going to be pissed and that would really be sh!tty. Laying out a lot of extra money in general being that we aren’t going to have 4 home games a round..theres only a possible 7 games per round. I understand how they’re doing it i get it, just saying

I can't speak for how they will do it for the regular on sale but since I renewed for next year already they are letting us do play and pay so they won't charge me until each round ends. So if they play only 3 out of 4 at home I'll only be charged for 3 once that round is over. If it's only 2, then charged for 2 games once the round is over. 

I doubt they do that for anyone just buying a package on a general sale though. I'd imagine it's just a refund once the Devils are done with the playoffs. 

On 3/14/2023 at 11:15 PM, Nicomo said:

It’s going to come. I’m not even remotely worried about Timo. 

Not sure if it was in here or on Twitter, but someone pointed out the team has had now 2 full practices since Timo was acquired thanks to this garbage schedule, he'll find his way in the system.

Seriously though with the scheedule, why the hell did we have so many 2-4 day breaks during parts of the start of the year but now when the games matter the most and there are legit playoff races for spots and positioning, SCREW YOU PLAYERS! GAMES EVERY OTHER DAY AND WEEKEND BACK TO BACKS!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Not sure if it was in here or on Twitter, but someone pointed out the team has had now 2 full practices since Timo was acquired thanks to this garbage schedule, he'll find his way in the system.

Seriously though with the scheedule, why the hell did we have so many 2-4 day breaks during parts of the start of the year but now when the games matter the most and there are legit playoff races for spots and positioning, SCREW YOU PLAYERS! GAMES EVERY OTHER DAY AND WEEKEND BACK TO BACKS!

Yeah it's a league-wide thing too...all but the Isles (70 GP), Caps (69 GP) and Preds (65 GP) have played 66-68 games each (Devils are at 67).  A lot of teams gonna be busy as hell down the stretch.  

It probably wouldn't hurt to go back to an 80-game sched, but of course that won't happen.  

19 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

mercer- 8x5. hope he bites

severson- keep him at a fair price. 3x4

bratt- no more than 7aav (yeah i know) I think he has another level to hit

graves- same as seves,but 3x3

tatar - 2x3.25

haula- 2x 2

wood- SEE YA

blackwood.... i won't judge till i see him in the playoffs. 

Will Blackwood even dress for playoffs?