Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

Just now, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

I don't know how badly Adam is hurt, but if he is not going to be out long, he could be another one.

Yeah that's a name that's been brought up a bunch...if he's going to be healthy fairly soon and the Ducks are willing to eat 50% of his money, I'd absolutely be on board.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Is there anyone still on the board you’d like to potentially see the Devils target today?  I know no one will be upset if it doesn’t happen since Fitz has done a wonderful job so far, but just inquiring.  Look at that, no negativity in that post either.

7 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Is there anyone still on the board you’d like to potentially see the Devils target today?  I know no one will be upset if it doesn’t happen since Fitz has done a wonderful job so far, but just inquiring.  Look at that, no negativity in that post either.

Henrique 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

It's a bit of a cliche, but this is the style of defensemen that the league is moving towards. Obviously if you can get an offensive defenseman who can move the puck well and still play defense that is nice too. I think teams want 2-3 guys like this who are shutdown dmen who are mobile and can easily make a first pass and get the puck out of your own zone and you want guys like this to throw in your top 4. The big less mobile guys who force a turnover and then chip the puck off the glass and out is going away. Top 4s around the league are going to be loaded with the type of defensive dman with size and who can force a turnover and then get the puck up the ice. It's why they are going to inevitably get paid the 5m-7m a year just for being good at defense. 

Shero was thinking that you can you as much puck movers as you can. It cost him a job.  Good defensive game and basic transition give you time to take out the pace of the game and save it. Small slow defensemen\bad skating defensemen have problems with finding job too. I believe even big defensemen like Bahl can at least find 3rd pair job.  But the more mobile  your defensive line can be the better defensive line you will have. And they should defend. Bord battles, position defense, gap control, pushing players away from driving the net, slot battles etc. If they can grab the puck on the fly like Marino or Siegenthaler can - than you are happy even more. 

Leddy and Orlov are very mobile and can do a lot of what you can ask from defenseman. Orlov looks like a player with adult league potential, may be it`s only KHL, but he wasnt bad in his KHL minutes as 18yo player and it`s very good. Leddy was perfect defenseman in USNTDP programm and I saw a game of Boston where he played top pair minutes as 18 yo. Barabosha is big and pretty fast defenseman for his size, but he has some flaws like every big dude.  Casey is ggood on the fly but he has a lot of question marks in gap control and in board battles. He should go through a lot to be competent enpugh on NHL level. He has short lever and even mediocre NHLer will push him away - that`s how mechanics works. He needs to work on his legs more. But I think he heas good NHL potential because he is talented. If he has good work ethic, he has a chance to make it. The problem he is not really fast for a guy of his size. May be legs days will help with this aspect too. 

And Vilen. He has this "marino type" potential. I pray for his finnish neck to be strong and bold enough to make the NHL roster. He was "why we picked this guy?" and now he is very interesting, mobile defenseman with good defensive abulities and hands. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Shero was thinking that you can you as much puck movers as you can. It cost him a job.  Good defensive game and basic transition give you time to take out the pace of the game and save it. Small slow defensemen\bad skating defensemen have problems with finding job too. I believe even big defensemen like Bahl can at least find 3rd pair job.  But the more mobile  your defensive line can be the better defensive line you will have. And they should defend. Bord battles, position defense, gap control, pushing players away from driving the net, slot battles etc. If they can grab the puck on the fly like Marino or Siegenthaler can - than you are happy even more. 

Leddy and Orlov are very mobile and can do a lot of what you can ask from defenseman. Orlov looks like a player with adult league potential, may be it`s only KHL, but he wasnt bad in his KHL minutes as 18yo player and it`s very good. Leddy was perfect defenseman in USNTDP programm and I saw a game of Boston where he played top pair minutes as 18 yo. Barabosha is big and pretty fast defenseman for his size, but he has some flaws like every big dude.  Casey is ggood on the fly but he has a lot of question marks in gap control and in board battles. He should go through a lot to be competent enpugh on NHL level. He has short lever and even mediocre NHLer will push him away - that`s how mechanics works. He needs to work on his legs more. But I think he heas good NHL potential because he is talented. If he has good work ethic, he has a chance to make it. The problem he is not really fast for a guy of his size. May be legs days will help with this aspect too. 

And Vilen. He has this "marino type" potential. I pray for his finnish neck to be strong and bold enough to make the NHL roster. He was "why we picked this guy?" and now he is very interesting, mobile defenseman with good defensive abulities and hands. 

Vilen is the guy who might find his way on this team by next year.

He might not need much time at all in the AHL, besides getting used to the smaller ice surface, he's been playing against men, and they won't need him to do anything but what he already is good at and that's being very sound in the defensive zone.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, moustic said:

image.png.4530b3f5525787fe9a079e92cdeb1248.png

Good Trade deadline day guys ; ) 

I truly feel bad for Keller, did absolutely nothing wrong but be good enough to be drafted high by that sh!t franchise.

But what’s even worse: there are 4 teams currently WORSE than them. Good grief

Just now, Jimmy Leeds said:

No Henrique please. What's the point

Assuming Devils are only on the hook for half his remaining money, he's a versatile vet who brings a bit of everything.  He's also only signed through the end of next season as well (I wouldn't want him beyond that), so not like this is a long-term commitment.  He should be able to provide solid 3rd-line minutes and can fill in on the Top 6 short-term, in a pinch.

That's being said, I don't consider it a major imperative for Fitz to make this happen.  I get the feeling it won't.  

• Like 1

Just now, Jimmy Leeds said:

Plus he's signed through next year? 

Oh my, IMO that's even more a reason to avoid.

I don't see him being an upgrade on anyone

He would instantly slot in at 3C, and be the 3rd best center on the team after Jack and Nico (Mercer should stay at wing he’s excelling there). 

I don’t see how anyone could argue he’s not better than Haula, Boqvist, and McLeod. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

He's been probably the best veteran player all season for his team, you probably have no idea about that huh?

Somehow on the worst defensive team in years, he is only minus 7, if they don't get him, it's okay, he is currently injured but AH has been an above average two way player this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

He would instantly slot in at 3C, and be the 3rd best center on the team after Jack and Nico (Mercer should stay at wing he’s excelling there). 

I don’t see how anyone could argue he’s not better than Haula, Boqvist, and McLeod. 

Or Wood...also more depth scoring.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Take a look...as you'll see, even assuming both Bratt and Timo are signed to extensions, there's simply not many forwards under contract with the big club for next season:

New Jersey Devils Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Some of those UFAs and RFAs-to-be forwards will be retained, but not all.

Nicomo just mentioned it...would Henrique be so bad to have over, say, Haula?  Or Wood?  Is there anyone who's screaming "He's ready to grab a third-line role!" in Utica right now?  Yeah, there's guys like Clarke, Foote, etc, but they're far from sure things.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I'm not arguing, I'm calmly talking about it and expressing my opinion.

Is that okay?

7 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

He's been probably the best veteran player all season for his team, you probably have no idea about that huh?

Somehow on the worst defensive team in years, he is only minus 7, if they don't get him, it's okay, he is currently injured but AH has been an above average two way player this season.

Aaaaaandd, here we go.

Lighten up about what I know and don't know.

Is this the point you'll start calling me names?