GDT: Game 1 - New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils 4/18/23, 7:00PM MSG/TBS

Crisis

If Blackwood ever starts a game in these playoffs over Schmid (assuming VV can’t go in any given game, for whatever the reason) then I am really going to lose my sh!t.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Blackwood CANNOT be the hill this franchise refuses to die on. fvck that. I don’t know what else anyone needs to see.

.893 save% in 47 games since the start of last season.  Enough with trying to make fetch happen.  Especially with Schmid outplaying him badly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Blackwood ever starts a game in these playoffs over Schmid (assuming VV can’t go in any given game, for whatever the reason) then I am really going to lose my sh!t.

.893 save% in 47 games since the start of last season.  Enough with trying to make fetch happen.  Especially with Schmid outplaying him badly.

so fetch mean girls GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

They also don’t play as confidently in front of Blackwood as they do Vitek and Schmid.

Very true. Interestingly, I saw a stat that said Blackwood faced 36 or more shots 4 or 5 times this year and Vanecek only did 1-2 times playing a lot more games. I’d be willing to bet that has a lot to do with Blackwoods rebound control and Vaneceks very active poke checking 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

Rangers fans all over Reddit are concerned with the matchup. It's nice to see them so flustered and concerned 

to be fair, our coach is confused 80% of the time

I get he cant throw ole yeller under the bus, but holy sh!t to even pretend to entertain the notion of him being the #2 is a condemnation of his mental state

Blackwood being in the net doesn't give me a whole bunch of warm fuzziest, but I don't see why people are so concerned about him being in the lineup. For starters, Vanecek has been pretty healthy all season so I don't see why people are freaking out like he's made of glass. Beyond that, I'm pretty sure what I mentioned a few days ago from the rule book is that we can carry an unlimited amount of players on the active roster now, so having three goalies doesn't really matter, and if push came job and we have to use someone else for whatever reason, I'm pretty sure it will be Schmid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Injuries and this management's lack of admitting defeat with him. Want proof? They gave him two of the biggest games down the stretch and had our number 1 start throw away games that you or I could have probably kept the team competitive in (hello, CBJ). We're concerned greatly because the team plays a completely different style when trashwood is in net. I'm not going to dig for the numbers, but besides the eye test, the advanced stats show a staunch dip when 29 is between the pipes.

Sure, the rosters have no limit, awesome. Problem is, this team needs to have a reliable backup in net on the bench because of the possible fluke injury. You cannot trot 29 out there in relief of VV. Schmid has 100% proven and earned himself the backup role, but now Father Time behind the bench is pretending he didn't watch Schmid make his presence known earlier this year. The old man seems to love Blackwood and I have few doubts he won't have him as the number 1 back up. That is a big problem, especially with Schmid here. He earned it. Blackwood has had countless chances, his time is over.

5FB7FECC-2C77-489E-8A63-01A8B55D6C3C.gif

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Blackwood being in the net doesn't give me a whole bunch of warm fuzziest, but I don't see why people are so concerned about him being in the lineup. For starters, Vanecek has been pretty healthy all season so I don't see why people are freaking out like he's made of glass. Beyond that, I'm pretty sure what I mentioned a few days ago from the rule book is that we can carry an unlimited amount of players on the active roster now, so having three goalies doesn't really matter, and if push came job and we have to use someone else for whatever reason, I'm pretty sure it will be Schmid.

As long as the bolded is the case, all is well.  But jag said it all perfectly...Yeller's been given chance after chance after chance (Devils clearly wanted him to nail down the 1A sport when the season kicked off, but VV made that impossible by virtue of severely outperforming his "competition").  And now suffice it to say that Schmid's outplayed Yeller for the 1B/2 slot as well.

Mac should be seen as nothing more than the "Break Glass In Case of Absolute Emergency" guy for these playoffs.  If everyone's healthy, the goalies need to be VV and Schmid.  

Yeller's now an .892 save% goalie over his last 74 games, dating back to 2/27/21...by today's standards, this is as bad as it gets.  There's just no justification for Fitz and/or Ruff even CONSIDERING him getting the backup slot over Schmid.  Hope it's a non-issue, I really do.

• Like 5

On 4/15/2023 at 4:20 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah Vali-c**t is a joke.  The Devil fanbase isn’t perfect by any stretch (especially the “mutant” segment), but good lord a major chunk of the Ranger fanbase is a bunch of complete tools.

And Vali-c**t was the one pumping up PWM over Hughes and making it sound like the Rangers might have won that one.  Short memory there.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to feel like an idiot when I read the answer to this question, but here goes anyway:
What is "PWM"? I keep reading it, and from context it's obviously in reference to Kakko, but I'm not making the leap to what the letters stand for.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brick Pig said:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to feel like an idiot when I read the answer to this question, but here goes anyway:
What is "PWM"? I keep reading it, and from context it's obviously in reference to Kakko, but I'm not making the leap to what the letters stand for.

Played with men. That's what Rangers fans were yapping about on why Kakko was gonna be so much better than Jack. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Played with men. That's what Rangers fans were yapping about on why Kakko was gonna be so much better than Jack. 

@Brick Pig to piggyback onto what Satans Hockey is saying, the feeling among some more neutral prognosticators was that by virtue of having "Played With Men", that even if Jack was very likely destined to have the better career, PWM would almost definitely be the stronger player coming out of the gate...for maybe 2 or 3 years.  As it turned out, their rookie years were similar enough that it was too close to call (both struggled pretty mightily at times), but since their second seasons, it's not even close:

Jack's Year 2 through Year 4 seasons:  183 GP, 80 G, 106 A, 186 Pts

PWM's Year 2 through Year 4 seasons:  173 GP, 34 G, 41 A, 75 Pts

Of course, then you have idiots like Vali-c**t, who made it clear that he felt that PWM was going to be better than Jack in every skillset, case closed, and even now some especially dopey Rangers fans (of which there are many) can't help but try to make excuses for PWM, such as "Well Jack's gettin' top line minutes 'cause dey ain't got nobody else, duuuuuuuuuuuh" or "If Kakko was gettin' mawr ice time, he'd be puttin' up numbahs too, duuuuuuuuuuuh".  That fanbase really is that fvcking stupid...it's one of many reasons why I hate them so friggin' MUCH.  

What's sad is that I'm not necessarily convinced that Stevie-boy truly genuinely feels that Kakko was really going to be the better player, but instead of simply telling like it is and trying to build up PWM in a fair, realistic, and HONEST way to rational Rangers fans, he had to go way over-the-top and play to his dopey audience, who I'm sure reacted with "Duuuuuuuuh, dat's right Steve, Kakko's definitely's gonna be betta 'cause he's gonna be a Ran-juh!  Yeah in da Gawden!"  If it had been the Rangers selecting #1OA and the Devils #2OA (with it being obvious that the Rangers were going to take Hughes), I'd like to think any Devils-based broadcasts would give legit honest assessments and say "OK, here's what we think Kakko's strengths and weaknesses are, here's what we think he can be..."  Hopefully nothing along the lines of "Well we think Kakko's just going to be better!"

Seriously, if the Rangers had held the second pick in the 2015 draft, Vali-c**t would probably say something like "Hey, we know Connor McDavid is going to be an all-time great, but I think Jack Eichel is going to be the better guy to have on the Rangers!"  With the straightest and smuggest of faces, I'm sure.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Aha. Ok, thanks. In that case I don't feel so idiotic. I'd have never figured that one out.

• Like 2