Jesper Bratt SIGNED 8YR / $63 / $7.875 AAV

RunninWithTheDevil

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think the guy who will get moved with 2 years left on his deal will be Dougie.  Devils may have to pick up some of his money at that time, but he will be the oldest and Luke should be entering his prime years (along with Nemec).  Devils will eventually have to clear some money, but not yet a major concern, as long as ELC guys keep being filtered in (and can contribute).  

I thought this the second I watched Seamus Casey play. If Nemec flourishes, I think a right side of him, Marino and Casey is attractive. Taking even half of the 9mil hit from Hamilton off the books in the coming years may be a needed move. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

I thought this the second I watched Seamus Casey play. If Nemec flourishes, I think a right side of him, Marino and Casey is attractive. Taking even half of the 9mil hit from Hamilton off the books in the coming years may be a needed move. 

I think the Devils are going to have a hell of a time hanging on to Casey for another 3 seasons, TBH.  If they have a "Go for it" season soon, hard to imagine teams aren't going to try like hell to pry Casey away.  I'm sure Fitz will try to resist moving him for as long as possible, but if that "This guy can put us over the top!" guy becomes available...

And yeah, Devils are getting closer to having to make those tougher calls.  Saying goodbye to Seves and Graves aren't tough calls to make when you've got Luke and Nemec.  Eventually it will be more about having to give someone up that you hate to lose, for a not-great return so you can hang onto someone else that you really don't want to move or see leave...without having someone obvious to take the departing player's spot.  But of course that's where hitting on those damned draft picks just matters SO friggin' much.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

There’s a pretty long list of relatively interchangeable free agent goalies.   Just get one for cheap as a 3rd option 

Every one of the experts keeps wanting to put us in the Hellebuyck sweepstakes. I’m sorry, I’m not interested. I’d rather roll with Vanacek and Schmid.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

Players with fewer 5v5 points than Jesper Bratt in the last two seasons:

Alex Ovechkin
Roope Hintz
Jonathan Huberdeau
Mika Zibanejad
J.T. Miller
Mat Barzal
Dylan Larkin
Bo Horvat
Sebastian Aho
Aleksander Barkov
Brady Tkachuk

Bratt is making less than all of them next season

https://twitter.com/BigHeadHcky/status/1669414931878543360?t=7g8dQ65DCfA92UInfNwRzg&s=19

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Every one of the experts keeps wanting to put us in the Hellebuyck sweepstakes. I’m sorry, I’m not interested. I’d rather roll with Vanacek and Schmid.

Agree completely.  Not to mention that he didn't exactly turn into a brick wall come playoff time.  And will be entering his Age 31 season when he signs his next contract.  And will take up a lot of space (and cost the Devils assets) if they were to bring him in for this season.  Big pass. 

• Like 1

Glad it’s finally done. At the end of the day he’s making less than Jack’s absolute bargain of a contract, and only slightly more than Nico (also a bargain). Can’t be anything but happy about having another really good young player locked up long term. This core is going to play a lot of hockey together. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Glad it’s finally done. At the end of the day he’s making less than Jack’s absolute bargain of a contract, and only slightly more than Nico (also a bargain). Can’t be anything but happy about having another really good young player locked up long term. This core is going to play a lot of hockey together. 

Now it’s Timo Time. Priority #1.

• Like 4

Also great that this was signed before Timo's deal. Timo likely gets more than Bratt, and I really didn't want to give Bratt's agent more ammo for negotiation.

I just hope Meier wants to stay here. Hard to tell based on what he has said publicly, but he's got some friends in NJ. I think Fitz will get it done.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Here's the guys signed up to four years or more (with their Age seasons):

J Hughes (Age 22)

Nico (Age 24/25)

Bratt (Age 25)

Palat (Age 32)

Dougie (Age 30)

Marino (Age 26)

Siegs (Age 26)

Not bad at all.  Timo's entering his Age 27 season.

Very quickly, this is becoming a "Now" team, but with several players having multiple prime years left.  And of course, some prospects who will only augment the above.  A hell of a time to be a Devils fan.

Also nice that Fitz has managed to stay out of 8-figure territory for any one player...I can't imagine ever paying Panarin $11,642,857 AAV.  It's damned near impossible for him to ever be worth that kind of money.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think the Devils are going to have a hell of a time hanging on to Casey for another 3 seasons, TBH.  If they have a "Go for it" season soon, hard to imagine teams aren't going to try like hell to pry Casey away.  I'm sure Fitz will try to resist moving him for as long as possible, but if that "This guy can put us over the top!" guy becomes available...

And yeah, Devils are getting closer to having to make those tougher calls.  Saying goodbye to Seves and Graves aren't tough calls to make when you've got Luke and Nemec.  Eventually it will be more about having to give someone up that you hate to lose, for a not-great return so you can hang onto someone else that you really don't want to move or see leave...without having someone obvious to take the departing player's spot.  But of course that's where hitting on those damned draft picks just matters SO friggin' much.  

I agree with this too. He will be a great chip to get anything we think we need to win now. I just find it fascinating that Hamilton can be (and soon) surplus because of his salary. 

4 minutes ago, Marv4Life said:

OK then. I guess his atrocious playoffs didn't mean anything. But it's not an overpayment. 

Kind of like how some people are acting like his back-to-back 73 point seasons didn’t mean anything…

He was hardly the only Devils player that didn’t show up in the playoffs. I’m sure he’ll be the first one to admit it. 

• Like 1

Bratt is the scapegoat for fans.

Full team wasn’t ready for play off round against Carolina. No rest didn’t help. 

Bratt deserved every penny, especially how much money he got for what he bring. I have stone believe in Fitz after that, but anyway I hope he will not spend assets and cap space for 30yo Hellebyuck. Teams are winning SC because of depth, not because of aging goalies.

Just now, Nicomo said:

The only downside I see is that insufferable Bratt Pack dude will be plaguing Devils Twitter for another 8 years. :lol:

Yeah…

4 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

I agree with this too. He will be a great chip to get anything we think we need to win now. I just find it fascinating that Hamilton can be (and soon) surplus because of his salary. 

Given his age when he signed, if the Devils get three more good years out of Dougie, I'll consider that a major win...that's five years into his deal, and with only two left, and with much lower actual dollars being made vs his cap hit for those two years, he should be movable.  At least it shouldn't be a concern anytime soon, but hard to imagine he finishes his deal here as long as his play doesn't fall off a cliff.

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Kind of like how some people are acting like his back-to-back 73 point seasons didn’t mean anything

He was hardly the only Devils player that didn’t show up in the playoffs. I’m sure he’ll be the first one to admit it. 

Based on that alone he was getting at least $7 million AAV.  The question was how much over and for how long...that was answered pretty firmly by Fitz.

Yeah, Fitz is taking the gamble that he'll figure it out in future playoff seasons.  He should get a lot of chances.  

• Like 1

I think him going slightly missing in the playoffs may have saved the Devil's a million. 

His age at the end of the contract means that if for whatever reason things don't work out I dont think it will be massively difficult to shift. 

I don't know what it is about Bratt, I just always feel like it's all going to come crashing down. He has proved me very wrong so far. 

Is he the best paid 6th round pick of all time? Can't be many more that have gone on to make that sort of money. 

32 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Is he the best paid 6th round pick of all time? Can't be many more that have gone on to make that sort of money.

Pavel Datsyuk was a 6th round pick. I have to imagine he made plenty of money over the years.