2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

For the wild card hopefuls - Wings lose in regulation (but to the Isles who are now tied with the Devils with same amount of games left) and Lighting lose in OT.

Really need the Kraken to do us a solid and knock off the Pens tonight (in regulation, hopefully).

6 hours ago, nmigliore said:

For the wild card hopefuls - Wings lose in regulation (but to the Isles who are now tied with the Devils with same amount of games left) and Lighting lose in OT.

Really need the Kraken to do us a solid and knock off the Pens tonight (in regulation, hopefully).

Pens shut out by the Kraken last night.

Can’t ask for much more help than the Devils got yesterday, but of course at this point any hope of making the playoffs comes down to the Devils being able to go on a SERIOUS heater.  Which of course is really hard to see them doing.

What the Devils really need is for the Flyers to collapse, and to that team’s credit, they’ve staved that off all season.  They play each other one last time very late in the season (Game 81 for the Devils), but by that point the game might not even matter.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Devils aren't out of it by any means, but the margin for error is slim. A win tonight means we're 4 pts back of Tampa for a wildcard, and 3 pts back of Philly in the Metro. Both of those spots are up for grabs, and, frankly, are attainable. Just gotta take care of business.  

A little more luck on our side wouldn't hurt, it would be great if some of the teams around us lose, but if we win roughly 60-65% of our games to close out the year, we have a good shot. 

Does 14-5-3 or 13-4-5 get it done? 13-7-2 or 12-6-4 probably means we're a couple points short. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Devils aren't out of it by any means, but the margin for error is slim. A win tonight means we're 4 pts back of Tampa for a wildcard, and 3 pts back of Philly in the Metro. Both of those spots are up for grabs, and, frankly, are attainable. Just gotta take care of business.  

A little more luck on our side wouldn't hurt, it would be great if some of the teams around us lose, but if we win roughly 60-65% of our games to close out the year, we have a good shot. 

Does 14-5-3 or 13-4-5 get it done? 13-7-2 or 12-6-4 probably means we're a couple points short. 

The big problem at the moment is that the Devils have to get hot AND get a lot of help.

I'm more to the point where I really need to see them force themselves into the race...and by that, I mean not looking at the standings every day and thinking "Well hopefully those teams lose and the Devils win", just to inch closer for a couple of days before the Devils lose and the teams that they're chasing win.  I mean actually BE in a WC berth and in control of their destiny.

Being 5 points and 6 points behind the closest teams this late in the year is a serious problem.  Such a deficit doesn't look like much, but 10 days ago they were four points back of the Red Wings with a game in hand.  Go back 10 more days and they were 5 points behind the Wings, also with a game in hand.  If they haven't made up any ground in the last 20 days, what would lead me to believe that they're suddenly going to do it over the next 20 days?

Hope they do somehow go on a bender and surprise the fvck outta all of us, but man barring a team ahead of them falling completely apart, it does NOT look good for this season.

• Like 1

4 games before the deadline: @ ANA, @ LA, vs FL, vs STL

Have to think we need to win 3 out of those 4 otherwise it's sell mode with Toffoli, possibly Miller (I still prefer to resign), Smith... if Ilya Lyubushkin can return a 3rd round pick, I'm convinced anything is possible.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

4 games before the deadline: @ ANA, @ LA, vs FL, vs STL

Have to think we need to win 3 out of those 4 otherwise it's sell mode with Toffoli, possibly Miller (I still prefer to resign), Smith... if Ilya Lyubushkin can return a 3rd round pick, I'm convinced anything is possible.

Yeah at some point gotta pull the plug on 2023-24, if the Devils aren't showing signs of getting it together as the deadline approaches.

Sounds like there could be real competition for Toffoli's services, which is obviously great for the Devils.

Miller's one of those guys the Devils could conceivably bring back even if they dealt him.  Of course next season the D corp figures to be Hamilton, Luke, Nemec, Siegs, Marino, and Bahl, barring a trade.  And Hatakka could very well be in the mix too...so even though I too would love it if Miller stuck around, there may be an opportunity for him to earn more minutes elsewhere.

I hope this season is the absolute LAST that we see of Smith.  I'm really hoping that Fitz and Fossilized Idiot don't bring him back and try to sell us on how "versatile" he is.  Please god no.

• Like 1

Devils potentially getting more help tonight…Caps have scored 4 unanswered to now lead the Flyers 4-2.

Now 5-2 with that game winding down.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Suppose they end up trading Toffoli, what do you think his return looks like? Think someone looking to make a deep run will give up a 1st for him?

Maybe if the Devils agree to retain salary...or they can trade him to Tampa for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Suppose they end up trading Toffoli, what do you think his return looks like? Think someone looking to make a deep run will give up a 1st for him?

Probably a 2nd rounder 

• Like 1

What’s interesting about how much Pettersson got is that Fitz apparently preaches to his players how taking less is good for the team and allows him more flexibility.

When he chooses to do nothing with it, and the team could clearly use a lift, that can’t go over well with some of the players who didn’t look to take every last penny.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

14 hours ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

I seem to be in the minority here but I think he should hate us a late first.   I think half of the western conference is going to go all in for a cup this year and to get into an arms race.  Other than maybe Guentzel, what better way to add scoring punch than Tyler Toffoli.   

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Sheesh 

Compared to what the Leafs just agreed to with both Matthews and Nylander, this doesn't seem so bad.  

I actually prefer a top Center that plays  like Petterson who can do everything than a pure goal scorer like Matthews 

Edited by Lateralous

Imagine a coach with balls instilling accountability, rookies and all. Telling Brink to get the fvck off the ice and benching him and Lycksell the rest of the game along with others for their stupidity. Parking Atkinson again on the sidelines for sucking too.

47 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Imagine a coach with balls instilling accountability, rookies and all. Telling Brink to get the fvck off the ice and benching him and Lycksell the rest of the game along with others for their stupidity. Parking Atkinson again on the sidelines for sucking too.

Lindy instills fear and accountability in Holtz. But that's about where it ends. 

If he has his way though, Holtz will be gone soon and he'll have to find another player to gaslight and micromanage. 

Edited by slasher72