2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Pretty good company. 

And that’s a still-raw Luke.  He is only going to improve in the years to come.

In the very early going, Luke is more dynamic, but Nemec has more of a steady “future rock” presence.  So great to have not one but TWO young D many other teams would kill for.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Seriously. NJ needs to talk to whatever department has been coming up with these for Utica

image.jpeg.694b983145628d09b6c7580c347655b8.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't hate the way Ruff is approaching the goaltending situation to be honest. I think he knows that Vanecek isn't the answer, but throwing Daws into this situation and giving him the overwhelming majority of starts is a ton of pressure to put on someone who is just starting out in the NHL. I have high hopes for Daws. I think he has shown some great things already, and he's got a great attitude. Sometimes it's those players who have had some hiccups along the way that really find a way to turn a corner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nessus said:

I don't hate the way Ruff is approaching the goaltending situation to be honest. I think he knows that Vanecek isn't the answer, but throwing Daws into this situation and giving him the overwhelming majority of starts is a ton of pressure to put on someone who is just starting out in the NHL. I have high hopes for Daws. I think he has shown some great things already, and he's got a great attitude. Sometimes it's those players who have had some hiccups along the way that really find a way to turn a corner.

The ironic thing is as bad as VV has often been, the Devils have usually been able to overcome him (along with some other issues) when he’s played; they’re 15-8-2 in his appearances.

It’s that record and the fact that the Devils have never truly been dangerously close to falling out of the playoff chase that has allowed them to try to get him going by giving him a lot of chances, and they’ve certainly done that; Vitek has been given 23 starts through 40 games (Devils are 14-7-2 in his starts).

I know everyone wants to completely mothball him, which based on his performance for most of this season I get completely, but you are right, at this point it’s about managing Daws and seeing if this kid can actually be more than just a brief short-term fix…he’s looked good enough in his first four starts up here this season that I’d like to find out what he’s got.

I would give VV either the start against the Canadiens (at home) or the Blue Jackets (on the road).  As long as Daws isn’t gassed, I give him the rest of the starts leading up to the ASB.  Giving VV a game here isn’t about isn’t about trying to make him happen yet again, but simply trying to avoid wearing down Daws prematurely.  Schmid isn’t playing well for Utica, so I’d keep him down there for now, with the hope that he’ll eventually turn it around.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The ironic thing is as bad as VV has often been, the Devils have usually been able to overcome him (along with some other issues) when he’s played; they’re 15-8-2 in his appearances.

It’s that record and the fact that the Devils have never truly been dangerously close to falling out of the playoff chase that has allowed them to try to get him going by giving him a lot of chances, and they’ve certainly done that; Vitek has been given 23 starts through 40 games (Devils are 14-7-2 in his starts).

I know everyone wants to completely mothball him, which based on his performance for most of this season I get completely, but you are right, at this point it’s about managing Daws and seeing if this kid can actually be more than just a brief short-term fix…he’s looked good enough in his first four starts up here this season that I’d like to find out what he’s got.

I would give VV either the start against the Canadiens (at home) or the Blue Jackets (on the road).  As long as Daws isn’t gassed, I give him the rest of the starts leading up to the ASB.  Giving VV a game here isn’t about isn’t about trying to make him happen yet again, but simply trying to avoid wearing down Daws prematurely.  Schmid isn’t playing well for Utica, so I’d keep him down there for now, with the hope that he’ll eventually turn it around.

I think this is Fitz/management's attitude until they hit the deadline. Re: bolded, I think that's spot on. The thing with goalies is that they can bounce back. Not saying Vanecek will and it seems unlikely as we go along that he will. I know I've said this before, but hopefully the bounceback looks like above average goaltending. It definitely hasn't yet.

Once we pass trade deadline and roster limits are lifted, I see Schmid back up here and trying to go with a 3 goalie rotation and trying to get one of them to be hot going into the playoffs. Ultimate risk with that is they all (3) are posting an .877 going into the playoffs and then we have to hope that one of the three takes off with the clean slate in the playoffs. Never know and it sucks that it's a question mark at this point in the season. 

Edited by RizzMB30

They really need to figure it out at home, 9-10-2 at home is what's really killing us... 

Jersey / helmet records...

Road Whites / white helmets 13-6-1 = 27 points

Home Reds 7-6-2 = 16 points

3rd Blacks 2-4 = 4 points

Road Whites / black helmets 0-1 = 0 points

Total 22-17-3 =  47 points

19 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

They really need to figure it out at home, 9-10-2 at home is what's really killing us... 

Jersey / helmet records...

Road Whites / white helmets 13-6-1 = 27 points

Home Reds 7-6-2 = 16 points

3rd Blacks 2-4 = 4 points

Road Whites / black helmets 0-1 = 0 points

Total 22-17-3 =  47 points

They’re injured. Why do they always come out outplayed annd unprepared? Well don’t you see, they’re Injured. Why are they so poorly coached? Injured…

• Angry 1