2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

Tough sched coming up...6 out of the next eight are on the road, with (2) of those road games against the Bruins.  Also road games against the Sens, Caps, Lightning, and Panthers...ouch.  The Caps have managed just 2.44 GPG, but somehow against the Devils they've scored 10 in two games.  

As much as I'd love 50 points at the halfway point of the season, I'd be plenty happy with 9 points or more in these upcoming games.    

28 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And this is why you try the in-house option with Daws first before you even think of making a move. 

I want a goalie as much as anyone, but I don’t want see Fitz grossly overpay for one either. The position is just way too volatile. 

This is really how I describe it. Teams are 100% willing to fleece the sh!t out of you for getting one good year out of a goalie and then that goalie sucks afterwards and guess what? You signed him to a 5m/year extension for 5 years and now you're stuck with that contract. Jack Campbell is a good example of this. You think you're signing a great middle tier goalie who will show up in clutch situations, but then he's trash basically until playoffs roll around and playoffs are even more a roll of the dice of how a goalie will perform. 

The position is too up and down and unpredictable basically. All the talent and skill in the world won't help an elite goalie in front of a bad defense. I'd almost argue that as a team-builder in today's NHL, you need to build from the defense out because you need good defense to accurately evaluate how good a goalie will be in front of that good defense. 

I'm sure its extortion levels of, "Hey, you want Jake Allen or Jacob Markstrom? You want MA Fleury? Give us a 1st round pick and Seamus Casey. Give us your next 2 first round picks and you get your Vezina level goalie." Other teams GM's aren't stupid. They look at other teams, where they are weak and where they are strong or deep and likely form possible deals around these facts. 

And well, if they are extortion offers, maybe by the trade deadline they turn into something more reasonable where Fitz feels comfortable pulling the trigger. Good on him for staying patient in the face of calls that a move HAS to be made. I think this very slow and deliberate approach to GM'ing has been great. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

Guess Owen Power was taken ahead of Luke mostly because Power is huge (6’ 6”)?  It’s early but I have a feeling Luke could very well wind up being the better player as their careers unfold.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guess Owen Power was taken ahead of Luke mostly because Power is huge (6’ 6”)?  It’s early but I have a feeling Luke could very well wind up being the better player as their careers unfold.  

He's already better than Power. Sabres fans aren't that excited about Power, they think he's a big mush.

Still plenty of time for Power to develop into a stalwart. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nicomo said:

And this is why you try the in-house option with Daws first before you even think of making a move. 

I want a goalie as much as anyone, but I don’t want see Fitz grossly overpay for one either. The position is just way too volatile. 

Plus, the Devils can't afford to trade away Casey because Hamilton is so iffy with his injury history. And Hamilton isn't getting any younger either. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Plus, the Devils can't afford to trade away Casey because Hamilton is so iffy with his injury history. And Hamilton isn't getting any younger either. 

Casey is also a prime candidate to potentially transition to forward if needed too. Kid has tools.

Hamilton has been overwhelmingly net positive but it is frustrating he's now had a couple of long term injuries.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Casey is also a prime candidate to potentially transition to forward if needed too. Kid has tools.

Hamilton has been overwhelmingly net positive but it is frustrating he's now had a couple of long term injuries.

Casey is electric.  I think the best use of his talents would be as a speedy 3rd line wing-like a Tyler Johnson type.  Nemec is the guy who will eventually replace Dougie.  He's developing quite nicely-probably better than expected for such a young age.  If Dougie comes back this year that will push Smith to 4th line forward-which he is actually pretty good at.   Luke and Nemec have really grown a lot in a very short time-great to see that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonginator11 said:

If this happens it better be for a good defenseman or goalie. He’s stepped up his game even more this year I feel

I think this is part of the “problem”…with cap crunches coming up Fitz knows that he won’t be able to pay him after this year.  But yeah he’s become a fine intangible type (who wins a ton of faceoffs to boot) and if he’s moved, it better be for a guy who fills a need.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think this is part of the “problem”…with cap crunches coming up Fitz knows that he won’t be able to pay him after this year.  But yeah he’s become a fine intangible type (who wins a ton of faceoffs to boot) and if he’s moved, it better be for a guy who fills a need.

They better move Nate with him or it'll be all tears again.

It's interesting how the last 2 seasons McLeod has really cemented his role in this team.

I know quite a few would have happily seen him traded 2 seasons ago for the kind of haul that would disappoint people today.

I don't want to see him traded and it sux the chances are it won't be to a contender 😕

1 hour ago, McLeod41-20 said:

It's interesting how the last 2 seasons McLeod has really cemented his role in this team.

I know quite a few would have happily seen him traded 2 seasons ago for the kind of haul that would disappoint people today.

I don't want to see him traded and it sux the chances are it won't be to a contender 😕

I just wish we could finally get an answer on the team Canada incident before signing him long term. It’s insane that it’s still ongoing. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I just wish we could finally get an answer on the team Canada incident before signing him long term. It’s insane that it’s still ongoing. 

Hockey Canada doing EVERYTHING they can to prevent it (in this poster’s opinion)

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 11:06 AM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Booooo. No deal. I can totally see why other defense starved teams are liking what they see. 

A good third line center on some other young team can get quite pricey I hear. We payed with Pavel Zacha to get Erik Haula. Zacha was a first rounder who didn't hit his ceiling. 

If I am Fitz and serious about moving McLeod, it better be for a real serious dman or tendy AND we get Mikey's replacement in the same trade. A strong 4th line center/can play up on the 3rd line line, wins faceoffs and solid defensively. I'd take a shot, but I'd hate to see McLeod go for what he brings at his price tag. And as much as I hate to say it, with Tierney and Lazar, we wouldn't be hurting to replace McLeod. I think he's much better than either of those two at his role. 

He's shown so much more offense than what Lazar and Tierney bring. 

Article below goes into some of his advanced stats and holy sh!t. He's been one the better forwards in the group. 

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/platform/amp/2023/12/30/24019422/michael-mcleod-making-the-most-of-his-bridge-deal

Very similar trajectory to Pickles indeed and to an extent these kinds of players are expendable, but I think you find one that is so consistent in the faceoff dot is super rare. Coleman mostly plays wing unless they need him to take draws. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, McLeod41-20 said:

Didn't the players appeal which is delaying the final release?

I believe you are correct. But the fact it is STILL taking this long to even have gotten to this point, or the fact it was hush money to begin with, is infuriating.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

Nothing scientific about this statement but he just seems like the kind of guy that’s a key piece to a cup contending/winning team.  the kind of player who does all the little things well but would never get a sniff at a con smythe. Gotta give something to get something though…… 

• EvilHeart 1

I would go so far as to suggest (#20) not only the best f/o man in the NHL, but top-bottom 6 fw's in the league. Young, fast, physical, very low 9controlable) salary. IMO, this so called "report". Even if it comes from Friege, etc. is stupid. Yes, you gotta give up something to get something, let's get real.

McLeod possibly getting moved is not surprising to me. He’s an RFA after this year and is gonna be looking at a nice payday. Can we afford a 4 or 5 year deal at $4 million per season (possibly more) for McLeod? Because that’s what he’s gonna want. If he can help bring us back a defenseman or a goalie, it could be worth exploring. 

• Like 3