2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

49 minutes ago, smelly said:

Deal is far from dead. May even end up being bigger than ya think. 

Unclear whether it will get over finish line. But everyone is working. 

Is that from your inside man?

24 minutes ago, smelly said:

No comment. 😉

Okay, should we be excited about it (aside from the goalie)?

cause I have visions of Hanafin and Markstrom and I know it’s gonna cost.

but also, can you get from your source why Lindy is still here?

15 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Okay, should we be excited about it (aside from the goalie)?

cause I have visions of Hanafin and Markstrom and I know it’s gonna cost.

but also, can you get from your source why Lindy is still here?

All I know is that they are also looking at D. 

I have nothing on Lindy. My suspicion is that that’s because Fitz keeps that to himself. But just a guess. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, smelly said:

I have nothing on Lindy. My suspicion is that that’s because Fitz keeps that to himself. But just a guess. 

I don’t eve care if you are pulling our legs (evidence says odds are you are not), it’s something to think about other than this abomination, and you’ve been more accurate than Eklund or the Fraud Period (Pagnotta)

cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smelly said:

I thought Tanev was coming here but if it's Hanafin I can't imagine who Fitz is sending the other way. 

First-rounder + Holtz + Mercer + Bahl/Casey + VV "as a throw in"

OR

First-rounder + Nemec + VV "as a throw in"

For Markstrom + Hanafin

I won't be shocked if Nemec is part of the trade. Fitz, like a desperate poker player, is going to put all his chips in.

Edited by slasher72
  • Vomiting 2

11 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I thought Tanev was coming here but if it's Hanafin I can't imagine who Fitz is sending the other way. 

First-rounder + Holtz + Mercer + Bahl + Casey + VV "as a throw in"

For Markstrom + Hanafin

I won't even be shocked if Nemec is part of the trade. Fitz, like a desperate poker player, is going to put all his chips in.

If Fitz even thinks of trading Nemec, he deserves to be fired immediately.  Regardless of what the Devils do at the deadline, they’re not good enough to make a run.  Better to prepare for next season than to try to salvage this one.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

First-rounder + Holtz + Mercer + Bahl/Casey + VV "as a throw in"

OR

First-rounder + Nemec + VV "as a throw in"

For Markstrom + Hanafin

I won't be shocked if Nemec is part of the trade. Fitz, like a desperate poker player, is going to put all his chips in.

No way they should give up Nemec!  No way I want Markstrom!  I don’t think Holtz should be traded either.  I think they should fire Ruff, get a new coach and see how it goes the rest of the season.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

If Fitz even thinks of trading Nemec, he deserves to be fired immediately.  Regardless of what the Devils do at the deadline, they’re not good enough to make a run.  Better to prepare for next season than to try to salvage this one.

That is not happening.  Luke and Nemec are not going anywhere.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I wonder if we can trade our 1st rounder (which will be a lottery pick) and some other stuff for Askarov at the draft. I’d rather do that than overpay for Markstrom.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion Markstrom is completely out of the equation. I don't know what fits has planned, my guess is he will wait until the off season to do anything, whether that's regarding the head coach, goaltending, defense, or any other part of the team, but Markstrom does not fit at all.  The time to bring him in if it was gonna happen was about a month or two ago, maybe even longer. 

Markstrom turns 35 next year.  35!!! He isn't making us an immediate contender, not without some help in other areas, so there's no reason to bring in a guy of that age.  What would we do, sign him for 3-4 years?  I don't want any part of his 36-37-38 year old seasons.  Goalies tend to decline a ton at that age, and we'd have to rely heavily on another goalie to share a huge portion of the workload, so it would be pointless. 

We need to look at a guy like Saros, or talk to a team who has a top goalie prospect in their pipeline, and give up an asset for them. 

I'd rather go for the guy in Seattle than Markstrom.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I wonder if we can trade our 1st rounder (which will be a lottery pick) and some other stuff for Askarov at the draft. I’d rather do that than overpay for Markstrom.

Dude, yes. Literally what I was just posting right after you. Maybe the Press would give him up if they stick with Saros?  Or, we take Saros off their hands, if they're ready to hand the keys over to Askarov?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

In my opinion Markstrom is completely out of the equation. I don't know what fits has planned, my guess is he will wait until the off season to do anything, whether that's regarding the head coach, goaltending, defense, or any other part of the team, but Markstrom does not fit at all.  The time to bring him in if it was gonna happen was about a month or two ago, maybe even longer. 

Markstrom turns 35 next year.  35!!! He isn't making us an immediate contender, not without some help in other areas, so there's no reason to bring in a guy of that age.  What would we do, sign him for 3-4 years?  I don't want any part of his 36-37-38 year old seasons.  Goalies tend to decline a ton at that age, and we'd have to rely heavily on another goalie to share a huge portion of the workload, so it would be pointless. 

We need to look at a guy like Saros, or talk to a team who has a top goalie prospect in their pipeline, and give up an asset for them. 

Fitz might not be thinking long-term with this move. He could be thinking very short-term (i.e. saving his job and Lindy's) by doing whatever he can to get the team into the playoffs next year. Prospects are great but a 35 year old goalie on top of his game, with 2 years of tread life, is more attractive in such a scenario.

Edited by slasher72

2 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Fitz might not be thinking long-term with this move. He could be thinking very short-term (i.e. saving his job and Lindy's) by doing whatever he can to get the team into the playoffs next year. Prospects are great but a 35 year old goalie on top of his game, with 2 years of tread life, is more attractive in such a scenario.

He has a .914 save % this year which is decent, not amazing, but not bad, but he's only played in 38 games.  What's he gonna finish with, 50-55 at most? Last year he played in 58 and had an .892 save %...... 

So he might be having a pretty good season this year, but it's far from consistent. 

13 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't disagree with you one bit but if you believe Friedman, the Devils have completely 100% narrowed in on him.  He's our guy, whether it's now or in the offseason. 

It would make more sense to me if we had a blue-chip goalie prospect in the wings that was maybe a year or two out.  Don't know about you guys but I'm completely unsold on whether Daws or Schmid is a viable long-term solution here.

Holy bejesus they might lose the next 5 straight games.

And not just lose, but get completely embarrassed.  Panthers, Blues, Rangers and Stars all have the potential to physically manhandle this team, gonna be men vs. boys out there.

Silver lining - I just cannot see Lindy surviving this stretch of games.  We'll have a new HC by mid-March.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 094628.png

The Bruins are always right up against the cap and Swayman needs a new contract.   I wonder what they would want from us to get Ullmark off their books this summer 

Edited by Lateralous

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

The Bruins are always right up against the cap and Swayman needs a new contract.   I wonder what they would want from us to get Ullmark off their books.    

I talked about this in another thread, there’s a deal to be made here, whether for Swayman or Ullmark.