2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

5 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

Everything he said is spot-on.  I especially liked his comments about being firm with the group and shortening the bench, things we haven’t seen as much we’d like this season.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Everything he said is spot-on.  I especially liked his comments about being firm with the group and shortening the bench, things we haven’t seen as much we’d like this season.

Yep, everyone gets to play in the Ruff/Green era. Down two and a need a goal? Normal rotation for your 4th line to zap any momentum! Why? Because fvck ‘em that’s why!

I want Chief to want this job so badly. Stop pandering to the stars, hold them accountable and get this back on track.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

So Ondrej Palat has more PIM (35) than points (26) on the season.

Intangibles!

He's been really, really bad this year. Very disappointed in his production. He makes good decisions when he has the puck, and I attribute that to the fact that he's a veteran and played with a team like Tampa for a very long time so he clearly has the experience, but he doesn't have the puck on his stick very often and he seems pretty slow out there.

Palat, Haula, and to a lesser extent, Mercer, have been had this season. Mercer, like Luke, gets a lot of leeway because of his age.

Those three guys having bad years, plus losing McLeod, really hurt the team and I don't think we're things we were counting on.  That third line left a big hole. If the fourth line in Tierney Nosek Bastian Lazar actually had some type of above average season it wouldn't have been as bad, but those guys were your average fourth line producers as well.   

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

So Ondrej Palat has more PIM (35) than points (26) on the season.

Intangibles!

Good fvcking God he's got 3 more years left.  Atta boy Fitzy.

At least the cap is going to go up, significantly, so it shouldn't be too much of a nightmare to deal with.  

Edited by Devilsfan118

11 hours ago, jagknife said:

Yep, everyone gets to play in the Ruff/Green era. Down two and a need a goal? Normal rotation for your 4th line to zap any momentum! Why? Because fvck ‘em that’s why!

I want Chief to want this job so badly. Stop pandering to the stars, hold them accountable and get this back on track.

Well apart from one guy......

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Utica is in last place. It’s probably just to get Daws playing time. 

Last?  Isn't Dineen their coach, and wasn't he doing such an amazing job, to the extent that they were considering possibly calling him up to be our next coach for the big club? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AHL is more for developing players rather than to win the Calder Cup.  Devs have graduated Holtz, Nemec, Daws, Shmid, Zetterlund, Shango in the last several years.

Some teams do try to win the cup and add higher talent veterans-NJ usually doesn't do that so much.  Dineen has done a good job with what he has-which is not much-especially this year.

• Like 3

I mentioned recently the Friesen story about Stevens in 03 and that this team needs someone to hard nosed to hold them to a standard. This interview at around 21:36 just more about what a competitor Stevens was. This team is too soft.

• Like 3
  • EvilHeart 2

I wish they would have announced these Prague games with a little more notice for people who wanted to travel over there for it. They announced it like last week and tickets go on sale today. I'm on the fence about it because there are other places I'd rather go. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I mentioned recently the Friesen story about Stevens in 03 and that this team needs someone to hard nosed to hold them to a standard. This interview at around 21:36 just more about what a competitor Stevens was. This team is too soft.

Gomez is the best to listen to. Totally the dude you can relax with downing beers at your home with the BBQ going while listening to his stories for hours on end. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

What stands out the most for me about this interview is Gomez’s statement that the Devils’ practices were harder than their games, something commonplace among great teams.  With the current group, it seems like the opposite is the case, which is problematic because if the guys aren’t preparing to play the way they need to—and all available empiric evidence suggests that they aren’t—they won’t be able to sustain the intensity needed to beat other NHL teams consistently.

• Like 1

One thing I loved about this Gomez interview is instilling what he learned from not just Lou but Pat Burns in his current gig. My favorite Devils team was that 2003 team (I was too young for 1995, and although I got into hockey and the Devils in 1997 as a 6 year old, I was still probably too young to truly appreciate the 2000 team). Even after nearly 15 years of his passing, Pat's legacy lives on in the players he coached and I love it. 

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 2