GDT: Kings @ Devils - 7PM, 2/15

ButlerBulldog

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

It would be nice to ride a three game winning streak into Saturday.   LGD!  

#freeholtz 

Saturday could be huge if we can pull off the win on Thursday.

All the hype heading into that game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

LFGD

#FreeHoltz from the 4th line!

I’m still team #FireLindy but keep playing his new system, it is actually working!

LFGD, I’m flying in for this one (and Saturday)

I’m not attributing the new system to Lindy at all. It took until February when we all could see the change was needed back in November. I’m sure Lindy’s arm had to be twisted and twisted and twisted. He doesn’t get credit in my book. In other words, fvck him.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, devlman said:

I’m not attributing the new system to Lindy at all. It took until February when we all could see the change was needed back in November. I’m sure Lindy’s arm had to be twisted and twisted and twisted. He doesn’t get credit in my book. In other words, fvck him.

Yeah it's sh!t like the above that will always have me thinking that "It will always be SOMETHING" when it comes to Lindy.  Even if he might be a decent guy to have around for a young-but-needs-work team, I'll don't think he'll ever be the guy to take a team all the way.

Anyway, obviously they're all big games right now; in some ways, the playoffs have already started for the 2023-24 Devils, in that they really can't afford too many off-nights.  Sweeping a back-to-back and coming out of the ASB with a 3-1-1 record is nice, but much more work to be done.  Devils have 30 games left...42 points gets them to 100.  Would like to see them manage at least 38 points from here on out.

L G M F D!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

New system? 

I don't know if this new style of play has a name, but I think when people are referring to a new system they're talking about the way the team has played the last couple games which I think is noticeably different.  

In particular, I think the team is harder on the four check, way more committed to defense and limiting turnovers and quality shots on the goaltender, and they look a step quicker and certainly better on breakouts.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't know if this new style of play has a name, but I think when people are referring to a new system they're talking about the way the team has played the last couple games which I think is noticeably different.  

In particular, I think the team is harder on the four check, way more committed to defense and limiting turnovers and quality shots on the goaltender, and they look a step quicker and certainly better on breakouts.  

Referring to the new defensive zone system.

• Like 2

More of a tweak to the current system than a full overhaul IMO - shocking that it happened this late in the season. It's still a strong side overload w/ a ton of pressure applied. Difference is they finally told the D men to park their asses in front of the net.

Previously we had the D applying pressure, not just in the corners but also on zone entry. This lead to the D getting dragged out of position (though arguably in position per the system) and caught chasing pucks, leaving gaping holes in front of the net. In theory it was on our forwards to collapse and clog lanes/take assignments then peel out for quick transitions but we saw how well that was working. 

While we're still overloading w/ pressure, the onus is now on our skill forwards to use their speed down law to cause turnovers and transition puck while the D stay glued to the slot. When the player(s) applying pressure get beat, they have the slot coverage as a safety net. 

I see the downsides to this system update being increased injury potential (do we really want Jack and Nico battling for pucks in D-zone corners), and fewer options on the breakout. The thought behind the previous configuration was to have D create turnovers through pressure low and look up-ice to a Hughes type player - that's going to be less common now. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Mindcrime30 said:

More of a tweak to the current system than a full overhaul IMO - shocking that it happened this late in the season. It's still a strong side overload w/ a ton of pressure applied. Difference is they finally told the D men to park their asses in front of the net.

Previously we had the D applying pressure, not just in the corners but also on zone entry. This lead to the D getting dragged out of position (though arguably in position per the system) and caught chasing pucks, leaving gaping holes in front of the net. In theory it was on our forwards to collapse and clog lanes/take assignments then peel out for quick transitions but we saw how well that was working. 

While we're still overloading w/ pressure, the onus is now on our skill forwards to use their speed down law to cause turnovers and transition puck while the D stay glued to the slot. When the player(s) applying pressure get beat, they have the slot coverage as a safety net. 

I see the downsides to this system update being increased injury potential (do we really want Jack and Nico battling for pucks in D-zone corners), and fewer options on the breakout. The thought behind the previous configuration was to have D create turnovers through pressure low and look up-ice to a Hughes type player - that's going to be less common now. 

Thanks for the breakdown.

NJ can rely on their talent up front to continue to produce chances even if it is at a lower rate due to a slower transition game. Sheltering the goalies should have become a priority in December when it became blatantly obvious they were not getting any better.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I’ll be honest, I’m glad it won’t be VV Saturday when I’m freezing my ass off.

Agreed.  It won’t do for the Devils to get embarrassed on national television, something far more likely with Vanecek in net.

40 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Agreed.  It won’t do for the Devils to get embarrassed on national television, something far more likely with Vanecek in net.

I think I'd like to see Schmido come in for a game or two and see how he does in front of the new adjustments that have been made as far as systems. 

• Like 3