Niedermayer expects to test market

Rock

Niedermayer expects to test market

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131483&hubName=nhl

TSN.ca Staff

7/26/2005 12:16:45 PM

The agent for New Jersey defenceman Scott Niedermayer doesn't expect the Norris Trophy winner to sign a new deal with the Devils before the end of the week.

Niedermayer earned $4-million in 2003-04. Last summer, he went to salary arbitration and was awarded $7-million for the season which was wiped out by the lockout.

"The whole process of last season and going to arbitration was to see what's out there," agent Kevin Epp tells the New York Post.

Epp says he expects Niedermayer to get offers near the salary maximum of $7.8-million and that he likely won't return to New Jersey at a discount.

Niedermayer was on TSN's Off the Record on Monday and said he fully expected to join the free agent market, which opens on August 1.

"I made my mind up to go through this process," he said. "If I can make a decision now, I can make one next week. I see no reason to rush a decision."

When asked what he would do if presented with a max offer from the Devils, Niedermayer stuck to his guns.

"If that were the case, I would definately continue this path (toward free agency) ... I'm going to continue with that. If (Devils GM Lou Lamoriello) makes an offer, hopefully it will still be there after (August 1)."

Niedermayer said family considerations would be important when choosing his final destination. He did not want to discuss specific teams, but admitted Vancouver is attractive because he and his wife are both from Western Canada.

"It's an exciting time," Niedermayer said.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been checking back here the past week or so after not being around for a while , and I just want to say, Scott will be back, I have not seen anyone say he will, but he will. He is a thinking man person, and he would never say he is going to resign with the Devils, but here is one person saying, unless Lou is a moron and lowballs him, he is not going anywhere.

If scott leaves then hes a jackass, why would he want to leave the orgianazation after all these years?(its beccause of the money of course)

I hope he turns around and doesnt go out and play for the money instead for the love of the game.

When asked what he would do if presented with a max offer from the Devils, Niedermayer stuck to his guns.

"If that were the case, I would definately continue this path (toward free agency) ...  I'm going to continue with that.  If (Devils GM Lou Lamoriello) makes an offer, hopefully it will still be there after (August 1)."

Hoo boy. Apparently Scott hasn't been paying attention to Lou's negotiating style. He should know by now that when you start shopping around, Lou assumes you're gone and takes his offer off the table.

I've been one of the few people here who have been saying that Scott's not going anywhere. I gotta admit I'm starting to doubt that now.

Serious offers will come to Nieds right away - within 24 hours. If there are none then maybe Epp will have Nieds go with what the Devils had to offer.

Epp just has to know the ball is in HIS court after that first offer is received. I figure if a guy calls Lou and says "Hi the Leafs just offered blahdeeblah" Lou will say "Ah that's nice" Epp is going to have to say "Can you do better Lou because we've got an offer on the table from (name the team AND name the deal)" and don't try to use any offers to up the ante-- if you say the Leafs are going to Pay Nieds 6 million make sure Nieds really wants to go there - because chances are if Lou thinks fine go there then, he wont give any warning the deal is just off the table - you will get no response in the positive or negative from what I hear - you're just left holding the ball wondering what the hell just happened.

BUT If you must play that game anyhow, then be prepared to have Nieds be the one to call and accept the former offer or say bon voyage. My guess is Lou would talk to the player but if a player doesn't step up to the plate Lou wont let the agent pinch hit even if it is their job. Just respect Lou's time and budget is all -- it's not about anything except the bottom line truth of the matter.

Nieuwendyke could have come back if he wanted but he didn't. I think he did think " :huh: " When they never heard from Lou again... but if he cared Joe shoudl have called and cleared the air regardless of where he decided to go. It may seem weird but I think it's the only respectful thing to do -- Holik did that too didn't he? Nieds knows the score though just like Holik did. I just wish I knew Epp did for sure - one misstep and Nieds is gone forever :evilcry:

Edited by Darwindog

he's not a jackass if he leaves. we'd take it hard, but you can't fault a guy for going for the most money he can get. put yourself in their shoes. it's always about the money. don't think any different.

Indeed, but I think his quote about still keeping his options open even if he gets the 20% maximum offer from the Devils is quite telling. Not only will money be a factor, but so will location. The right mix of both will determine where Nieds ends up. Only he knows what that mix is.

Indeed, but I think his quote about still keeping his options open even if he gets the 20% maximum offer from the Devils is quite telling.  Not only will money be a factor, but so will location.  The right mix of both will determine where Nieds ends up.  Only he knows what that mix is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i believe the mix equals:

1 part Vancouver

5-6 parts Million Dollar Bills

he's not a jackass if he leaves. we'd take it hard, but you can't fault a guy for going for the most money he can get. put yourself in their shoes. it's always about the money. don't think any different.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Nieds is gone too. However, why though would he go to another team geographilly closer if its a small amt of $$$

Lets say offers are like this:

Filly-7mil With Roenick in picture, philly has many other folks to sign.

Rag$- 7 mil unless jagr is gone/bought out, he might just go

Devils 6 mil (he loves the soprano's , they live there so, perfect fit)

Canucks-6 mil (if he goes there for less, it makes sense.

Van has the cap space now.

"If that were the case, I would definately continue this path (toward free agency) ...  I'm going to continue with that.  If (Devils GM Lou Lamoriello) makes an offer, hopefully it will still be there after (August 1)."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What more is there to know?

Neids says it all right there. Even with the max, he's "sticking to his guns".

I'm conflicted on how to feel about him, but I've accepted it, he's a goner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

true..it's just gunna be so hard on us dieheart devil fans

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

true..it's just gunna be so hard on us dieheart devil fans

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brutal is a good way to describe it...

seeing him a different jersey for the first time is really really going to hurt!!!

I have been checking back here the past week or so after not being around for a while , and I just want to say, Scott will be back, I have not seen anyone say he will, but he will. He is a thinking man person, and he would never say he is going to resign with the Devils, but here is one person saying, unless Lou is a moron and lowballs him, he is not going anywhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man- I hate to disagree, but I do. A lot. He said if the Devils presented him with a max offer, he'd STILL test the market. What the hell for? He wouldn't be able to get MORE on the open market than that. He wants to leave. fvck him. We'll miss him, but if this is the attitude he's going to take, he can go fvck himself.

Man. I gotta agree with sundstrom. Just cause the guy might opt to leave doesn't mean he's (insert gratuitous name here).

This guy gave your team 13 solid years. 3 Cups. 1 Norris. A few All-Star appearances.

And they got all that in return from trading away Tom Kurvers.

Imagine the Devils without Niedermayer. Would they have won as much as one Cup without him?

When it comes down to it, it's his choice. If he leaves, fans should remember what he meant to the rise of their franchise. That doesn't make him a bad guy. Like Keanu Reeves says as Kevin Lomax at the end of Devil's Advocate, 'Free will, right?'