Devils name John MacLean head coach

RowdyFan42

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity for all those lamenting this hire because it's "more of the same" ... was Brent Sutter "more of the same"?

No one who has said this is "more of the same" has explained what "more of the same" means and why MacLean is "more of the same." I like Tri's explanation. "More of the same" means another coach who has never won an ECHL title.

What does it matter he is hired. Like it or not. The team is what it is and you can choose to be an objective fan or not. We can blame the coach for poor play or whatever but we can only blame Vanderbeek for having Lou as GM & President and Lou hiring or firing of coaches and acquiring players. The only thing I am sure of with this team is that Marty if healthy will play too many games during the regular season and I am sure Marty is happy with his selection of the coach. Did I say "his" I meant to say "the".

Edited by LucifersDog

I may be a drama queen but at least Im not a conformist like you, satisfied with the team's quagmire in the last several seasons. Bringing jmac back is just more of the same ... but ... youll probably be satisfied. rolleyes.gif

I'm certainly not satisfied nor have I grown complacent with 1st round exits. But the team doesn't need a dramatic overhaul like you want. When this team loses everything is bad, but one good year and nobody will be pointing out that Brodeur is an aging goalie.

Let's break down what you said to show how you are being over-dramatic:

1. "Rookie coach": so what if he's a rookie coach? All coaches are rookies at some point and a veteran coach didn't exactly work out for us this year. Plus MacLean knows the Devils players and he knows the system, whether you think that's a good thing or not it can certainly work out for the better.

2. "No impact signing on the horizon.": How do you know that? We might make an impact signing this offseason. Not to mention we're gonna resign Martin or Kovy. And don't forget about Josefsen and Tedenby.

3. "An aging corps": The average age on the Devils is 29. The average age of the Chicago Blackhawks is 27. The average age of the Caps is 28. Most NHL teams are around 27-30. How young do you want the team to be?

4. "An older goalie": You mean the one who is a Vezina candidate? Listen it's either you argue he's great and when he retires we're screwed in which case we're set for now. Or you can argue that he is no good now in which case he is easily replaced.

5. "The decline has begun in full force": Let's see how your tune changes next season.

Edited by ben00rs

No one who has said this is "more of the same" has explained what "more of the same" means and why MacLean is "more of the same." I like Tri's explanation. "More of the same" means another coach who has never won an ECHL title.

The coaches of the last 10 ECHL championships:

- 00-01 - Rick Adduono

- 01-02 - John Marks

- 02-03 - Mike Haviland

- 03-04 - John Oliver

- 04-05 - Mike Haviland

- 05-06 - Davis Payne

- 06-07 - Derek Laxdal

- 07-08 - Chuck Weber

- 08-09 - Jared Bednar

- 09-10 - Chuck Weber

You have to go back to 98-99 to find an ECHL title-winning coach who did anything of any consequence as a head coach in the NHL, and that's Bruce Boudreau who won the Kelly Cup with the Mississippi Sea Wolves. But he also put in his time in the AHL, winning the 2006 Calder Cup in his first of two consecutive trips to the Finals with the Hershey Bears.

So ... yeah. I liked Haviland as much as the next guy, but anyone who thinks he was a shoe-in to be the coach of our dreams needs to touch base with reality.

- 00-01 - Rick Adduono

- 01-02 - John Marks

- 02-03 - Mike Haviland

- 03-04 - John Oliver

- 04-05 - Mike Haviland

- 05-06 - Davis Payne

- 06-07 - Derek Laxdal

- 07-08 - Chuck Weber

- 08-09 - Jared Bednar

- 09-10 - Chuck Weber

You have to go back to 98-99 to find an ECHL title-winning coach who did anything of any consequence as a head coach in the NHL, and that's Bruce Boudreau who won the Kelly Cup with the Mississippi Sea Wolves. But he also put in his time in the AHL, winning the 2006 Calder Cup in his first of two consecutive trips to the Finals with the Hershey Bears.

So ... yeah. I liked Haviland as much as the next guy, but anyone who thinks he was a shoe-in to be the coach of our dreams needs to touch base with reality.

I'm PO'ed the Devils didn't get Chuck Weber. Champion 2 of the last 3 years! He truly understands the current style that would be successful.

I'm PO'ed the Devils didn't get Chuck Weber. Champion 2 of the last 3 years! He truly understands the current style that would be successful.

Agreed. We know how much valuing ECHL Championships means. However, he wasn't a playoff flop in the AHL, so there's no need to hype him up as having "fresh ideas" and bringing "change".

while trolling is fun, i think an american like haviland has to make his bones in the ECHL - guys like lemaire and maclean had distinguished enough NHL playing careers that they could get NHL assistant jobs right away, and most canadians who become NHL coaches begin coaching in junior hockey.

I'm certainly not satisfied nor have I grown complacent with 1st round exits. But the team doesn't need a dramatic overhaul like you want. When this team loses everything is bad, but one good year and nobody will be pointing out that Brodeur is an aging goalie.

Let's break down what you said to show how you are being over-dramatic:

1. "Rookie coach": so what if he's a rookie coach? All coaches are rookies at some point and a veteran coach didn't exactly work out for us this year. Plus MacLean knows the Devils players and he knows the system, whether you think that's a good thing or not it can certainly work out for the better.

2. "No impact signing on the horizon.": How do you know that? We might make an impact signing this offseason. Not to mention we're gonna resign Martin or Kovy. And don't forget about Josefsen and Tedenby.

3. "An aging corps": The average age on the Devils is 29. The average age of the Chicago Blackhawks is 27. The average age of the Caps is 28. Most NHL teams are around 27-30. How young do you want the team to be?

4. "An older goalie": You mean the one who is a Vezina candidate? Listen it's either you argue he's great and when he retires we're screwed in which case we're set for now. Or you can argue that he is no good now in which case he is easily replaced.

5. "The decline has begun in full force": Let's see how your tune changes next season.

-Yes - rookie coach - no record and no body of work in nhl nothing to hang your hat on and say, yes this guy has the right idea for the devs to be successful again-- if we were a team full of rookies that would be impressed.. because an ex player is behind the bench then it may have made sense, but tell me - what nugget will he install this team to rectify the fiasco we've seen ...

You have been following this team right? I can recall a handful of impact players coming to the organization when the going was good ... now that we are a middle of the pack team in an upgraded conference ...who will want to skate in newark ..

Aging .. yes, lots of games under them veteran legs ... I dont care what their average age is.

Brodeur is the greatest goalie in the history of hockey. Having said that, his sustained A game during the playoffs had been MIA for many years now. May MB30 win many more Vezinas for his case.

The decline has begun wether you admit it or not. .. Im not a conformist -- Im a realist and Im not afraid to call out the team or the org. Mac is lou's dog ... more of the same

LGD

Mac is lou's dog ... more of the same

LGD

This is the other thing I don't get. Mac was the guy who demanded a trade, and after several days without getting moved he took his demands to the media. Old news, sure, but that doesn't really strike me as the behavior of an obedient dog.

Yes anyone can have their opinion about the decision, but it is what it is and hopefully it turns out to be the correct one. I just hope this new devils coaching staff watched some of the playoffs of the other teams and saw the constant 60 minute aggressive forecheck with good defense that was winning playoff games.

I 100% agree, and hope MacLean can lead the change required.

- 00-01 - Rick Adduono

- 01-02 - John Marks

- 02-03 - Mike Haviland

- 03-04 - John Oliver

- 04-05 - Mike Haviland

- 05-06 - Davis Payne

- 06-07 - Derek Laxdal

- 07-08 - Chuck Weber

- 08-09 - Jared Bednar

- 09-10 - Chuck Weber

And from this list he looks like a guy that may eventually get a shot at the NHL level.

AHL Coach Of The Year

2009–10 - Guy Boucher, Hamilton Bulldogs

2008–09 - Scott Arniel, Manitoba Moose

2007–08 - Scott Gordon, Providence Bruins

2006–07 - Mike Haviland, Norfolk Admirals

and for those that need an example of what those of us are talking about when it comes to needing change, I believe Parise in one of TG's posts said he was hoping they went with a more offensive focused system. JM on XM when asked if the current system needed to be changed he said no. One might interpret that as potentially more of the same. Hopefully it works out now that the choice was made.

I don't even know if MacLean knows what the Devils system was last year, because it does not appear his team played it.

Honestly, I don't know what the Devils system is, they play a different one every year. Sutter 1, Sutter 2, and Lemaire were entirely different styles of play. Sutter 1 was very close to Julien, which was nothing like Robinson/MacLean before him.

This is the other thing I don't get. Mac was the guy who demanded a trade, and after several days without getting moved he took his demands to the media. Old news, sure, but that doesn't really strike me as the behavior of an obedient dog.

I'm sorry, DIG, but that's a load. It IS old news. By coming back and toiling in the system as an assistant for as long as he has when he could have easily gone elsewhere by now, that shows the same loyalty that he exhibited throughout his long playing career. The situation that led to his trade was unfortunate, but I have a hard time blaming him. He was a loyal soldier for the organization for almost 15 years, and he felt he wasn't getting the respect he deserved commensurate with such service. Should he have gone to the media with his trade demand? Maybe, maybe not, but if he felt he was being disrespected, perhaps he felt he was also being ignored as part of that disrespect and he decided to force the issue.

But that's all behind us now, and clearly Mac and Lou have either resolved any unpleasantness or decided to put it behind them.

@Rowdy

Seriously? Mac could have gone elsewhere for sure by now??? Who wanted him? when has his name EVER been in the list of potential candidates for ANY head job ANYWHERE? Take your time and look through even minor league or juniors teams. This guy would have left for another head job at anytime if the opportunity arose, but there simply was no team jumping to get the random assistant coach of a middle of the pack team that had lost its winning tradition, and one who had no head coaching experience at any level.

I'm not jumping for joy about this signing, but I don't have a problem with it either. The last 2 times JMac was the "interim head coach" of the team when he ran the bench while Lou was stand in, it was also the last time the Devils made it past the first round of the playoffs. The first time when he had half a season to instill his mark on the team is also the same season we had a solid powerplay working for us and came off a incredible show of tenacity to get into the playoffs from the largest deficit overcome in modern day hockey 17 points out by new years and including the 11-game win streak followed by the Ranger sweep.

I think JMac has at least as much chance for success as anyone available, and more so than probably any of them. The key to him having that success is getting the players to buy into his sentiment that they all need to get back to the hard working, come to play 60-minutes (or 65 + shootout) every night and not take shifts off like has become the fashionable thing in Jersey the last few seasons. If he can do that I feel the rest should come by itself because aside from a sub standard defense corp we really do have the talent to be winning more series than we have the past few years and certainly had the talent to win it all last year.

Of yeah, and to all those who seem to be dismissing ECHL coaching experience and winning pedigree as some useless waste of time, why was everyone so excited about signing Brent Sutter when that happened (deny it all you want now, but nearly everyone was ecstatic about it at the time)? Juniors hockey more translatable to the NHL level than at least coaching pro's? I think not. Obviously the Blackhawks thought it meant something or they wouldn't have made him their minor league head coach. As well, it must show something about his coaching abilities because once at the next level in the AHL he won coach of the year honors. Then, though a very good case can be made that the pieces were already there when he came up, he moved to the NHL as an assistant and the team has been near the top of the league since. Like all things in this world the ECHL titles should be taken with a grain of salt, but it certainly isn't some meanless snippet of information put together for the sole purpose of making the person seem like a better fit than just "he was a New Jersey native".

Congrats to Jmac on finally getting the head job and I can only hope that he makes good on his expression of getting more effort and more desire out of the players on this team, because if he can do that The System is more than good enough to still win us another cup, and truly, that's all that matters in this case.

Edited by brickwall30

I'm sorry, DIG, but that's a load. It IS old news. By coming back and toiling in the system as an assistant for as long as he has when he could have easily gone elsewhere by now, that shows the same loyalty that he exhibited throughout his long playing career. The situation that led to his trade was unfortunate, but I have a hard time blaming him. He was a loyal soldier for the organization for almost 15 years, and he felt he wasn't getting the respect he deserved commensurate with such service. Should he have gone to the media with his trade demand? Maybe, maybe not, but if he felt he was being disrespected, perhaps he felt he was also being ignored as part of that disrespect and he decided to force the issue.

But that's all behind us now, and clearly Mac and Lou have either resolved any unpleasantness or decided to put it behind them.

easily gone elsewhere? who was giving him a head coaching job? he would've had to do what he's done with new jersey. and new jersey is clearly his dream job.

i love this - everyone lou hires, lou controls. if lou hires a guy outside the organization (sutter), that means he's been able to control that guy, too.

Of yeah, and to all those who seem to be dismissing ECHL coaching experience and winning pedigree as some useless waste of time, why was everyone so excited about signing Brent Sutter when that happened (deny it all you want now, but nearly everyone was ecstatic about it at the time)? Juniors hockey more translatable to the NHL level than at least coaching pro's? I think not. Obviously the Blackhawks thought it meant something or they wouldn't have made him their minor league head coach. As well, it must show something about his coaching abilities because once at the next level in the AHL he won coach of the year honors. Then, though a very good case can be made that the pieces were already there when he came up, he moved to the NHL as an assistant and the team has been near the top of the league since. Like all things in this world the ECHL titles should be taken with a grain of salt, but it certainly isn't some meanless snippet of information put together for the sole purpose of making the person seem like a better fit than just "he was a New Jersey native".

junior hockey translates just as well to the NHL because you're actually coaching some people who will be NHL players, unlike in the ECHL. there's also a ton more passion and a ton more pressure to win in junior hockey. furthermore, and i think this hurts a lot of would-be coaches, sutter and maclean were not only NHL players, they were excellent NHL players - sutter was a captain, john was an assistant captain for years. i know i'm going to have it thrown back to me that burns and bowman never played in the NHL, and that's fine. playing in the NHL isn't a requirement. but it certainly helps. haviland didn't, and that's going to hurt him.

One thing everyone has overlooked is J.Mac hasn't "dabbled" in anything over his career. We all concern ourselves with PP and it's being weak. Not many (even existing coaches) have the experience JMac has doing it. He has been on pp & pk throughout his career for all teams he's played on.(with various coaches) JMac is far more qualified to fix a pp than say Hitch, Theiron,Haviland, or Carboneau. Why? He actually did it throughout his career. He knows and understands this game as good as the next guy. We'll find out if he can get the most out of these guys. We know he can do it with the young guys.

As far as opening up our game, won't happen. . I think many fans (even myself) were enamoured with the idea Haviland possibly coming in and bringing hawks style. J. Mac will play Devils hockey, not a "firehouse" brand. The more i think about it i'm thrilled he got the job. And yes, I still like the idea of winning the division year after year. It's the performance in the post season that kills most of us.

Folks, we're in good hands. Don't worry, be happy!

@Rowdy

Seriously? Mac could have gone elsewhere for sure by now??? Who wanted him? when has his name EVER been in the list of potential candidates for ANY head job ANYWHERE? Take your time and look through even minor league or juniors teams. This guy would have left for another head job at anytime if the opportunity arose, but there simply was no team jumping to get the random assistant coach of a middle of the pack team that had lost its winning tradition, and one who had no head coaching experience at any level.

This isn't true at all. MacLean is a highly regarded coach around the league. Lou said in an interview this week that one team had asked permission to speak to MacLean about a head coaching position in the past, but MacLean turned the opportunity down. Pierre McGuire also made it known that if he had gotten the GM job in Minny, that Mac was the guy he really wanted to coach his team.

Should he have gone to the media with his trade demand? Maybe, maybe not, but if he felt he was being disrespected, perhaps he felt he was also being ignored as part of that disrespect and he decided to force the issue.

And the only point I was really trying to make with that is that it wasn't the behavior of an obedient dog, which some have personified him as. You really aren't refuting that.

I also think it's funny how we really admire guys we can consider "loyal soldiers." Names like Daneyko and Brylin come to mind. But once the guy is hired as coach, he's the GM's lapdog.

And the only point I was really trying to make with that is that it wasn't the behavior of an obedient dog, which some have personified him as. You really aren't refuting that.

It's not like he's Mike Danton, mouthing off the first chance he gets. He'd been around since almost Day 1, I think he was entitled to be "disobedient" just once.

I also think it's funny how we really admire guys we can consider "loyal soldiers." Names like Daneyko and Brylin come to mind. But once the guy is hired as coach, he's the GM's lapdog.

not if your name is Sutter :evil:

I'm also surprised about the lapdog comments. They just make no sense.

MacLean knows exactly what he's getting into here. He knows the arguments and he's seen the failures - sorry I always use the family analogy but -- this is the case of where he's the youngest sibling - and he's seen all that's gone before and hasn't bailed -- so he's got a LOT of trust. All of Lou's tactics are weakened with Mac so if Lou is indeed the problem Mac has got all the ammunition he needs to effectively communicate. He's simply the coach who is best armed best prepared to go into this battle. Be the battle with the players, management or the ineffable system even! (Was that hubris?).