What is the future of goaltending for us?

Jerzey

I just saw this list of goaltenders that will be available as UFA's this summer on HF and it made me think of what the future of is for goaltenders on the Devils...

Ilya Bryzgalov

Tomas Vokoun

Craig Anderson

JS Giguere

Jimmy Howard

Marty Turco

Peter Budaj

Pascal Leclaire

Antti Niemi

Chris Osgood

Dwayne Roloson

Mike Smith

Cap-Geek's official list here

This is not meant to take anything away from Marty because although he started off kind of weak this year he's turned it around and been very solid behind this team that refuses to score goals. He will more than likely still be our starter next year as well, but what happens after that?

Is Frazee the future of our goaltending?

Should Lou take a serious look at one of these soon to be available UFA's?

Should he look at some young up and coming back ups (like Vancouver back up Corey Schneider) that he can maybe get via trade?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this upcoming issue.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Vokoun is a little pricy and I'm going to assume Howard re-signs with Detroit. I'm also going to assume Anderson re-signs in Colorado and Bryzgalov re-signs in Phoenix. Out of all of them I think Bryz is the most appealing but he's probably seeking a raise too.

Vancouver fans don't seem to want to give up Schneider just yet but I think he'd be a great fit for us. Lou loves his American's too. With Luongo tied up for so long, they're not going to need two starting caliber goalies.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Vancouver fans don't seem to want to give up Schneider just yet but I think he'd be a great fit for us. Lou loves his American's too. With Luongo tied up for so long, they're not going to need two starting caliber goalies.

Tell that to the Pens and their "franchise goaltender". Things can turn around quickly.

I'd love Frazee to get a couple of starts in the NHL this year, especially if the team is still playing like garbage at the mid-way point. He should really be the full time back up next season, and of he proves he can play in the NHL, a veteran should be brought in to be a 1A-1B pairing with him in 2012-2013 assuming there is a season that year. If he just doesn't have it, then they may need to go the FA route until they see what Wedgewood or Clermont have to offer.

Basically, exactly the opposite of how Montreal brought up Carey Price, haha.

EDIT... Basically, I'm saying they should see what's around for 2012, when Brodeur's contract expires and he hypothetically retires...

Huet, Cristobal » G 35 CHI $5,625,000 2012 (UFA)

Brodeur, Martin » G 38 NJD $5,200,000 2012 (UFA)

Rinne, Pekka » G 28 NAS $3,400,000 2012 (UFA)

Niittymaki, A. » G 30 SAN $2,000,000 2012 (UFA)

Mason, Chris » G 34 ATL $1,850,000 2012 (UFA)

Leighton, M. » G 29 PHI $1,550,000 2012 (UFA)

Ellis, Dan » G 30 TBL $1,500,000 2012 (UFA)

Gustavsson, J. » G 26 TOR $1,350,000 2012 (UFA)

Clemmensen, S. » G 33 FLA $1,200,000 2012 (UFA)

Biron, Martin » G 33 NYR $875,000 2012 (UFA)

Backlund, Johan » G 29 PHI $800,000 2012 (UFA)

Raycroft, Andrew » G 30 DAL $650,000 2012 (UFA)

Johnson, Brent » G 33 PIT $600,000 2012 (UFA)

Mannino, Peter » G 26 ATL $525,000 2012 (UFA

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Vokoun is a little pricy and I'm going to assume Howard re-signs with Detroit. I'm also going to assume Anderson re-signs in Colorado and Bryzgalov re-signs in Phoenix. Out of all of them I think Bryz is the most appealing but he's probably seeking a raise too.

What about Al Montoya? Wasn't he rated up there a while ago and just couldn't find a niche?

Should he look at some young up and coming back ups (like Vancouver back up Corey Schneider) that he can maybe get via trade?

I think this is the way to go. There are always teams out there with 2 good goalies that eventually have to give one up. Also, since goalies tend to peak later, many guys can be had for relatively cheap and just need a change of sceenery. Kipper, Giguere, Bryzgalov, Halak and Anderson are all good examples. You just need to know where to look.

Price is going to be RFA in 2012... depending on how he's turning i'd like to see him NJ just to know if it was really all the media pressure and all the sh!t going down in mtl the reason for his slumps

Montreal should have traded Price. I understand that Halak had huge trade value at the time, but they have now created an impossible situation where the fans are ready to be attack Price at the slightest mistake and he has NO veteran safety net, unless you call Alex Auld a veteran safety net.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

putting the whole twitter debacle aside from august, Dan Ellis has gained some consistency in Tampa after signing there this summer. Hell, ever since he left Dallas, he got his career at least stable.

recent history has proven you do not need an elite goaltender to win the cup anymore, but then again if we dont finally find our groove, we might need one.

to be honest, i'm not sold on frazee nor mckenna but maybe a tandem of one of them + ellis for close to his current salary would do us well.

I could see Frazee being the goaltender when Marty leaves. Put him backup next year play him 10-15 games, and he'll be ready.

This guy played for USA Junior team, and Minniesota college if i'm not mistaken. He has taken his shift in the AHL promote him already.

the image that is forever ingrained into my memory of frazee's college days is the goal he gave up from the other end of the freaking rink.

yeah it was ages ago, but who knows...

the image that is forever ingrained into my memory of frazee's college days is the goal he gave up from the other end of the freaking rink.

yeah it was ages ago, but who knows...

Dude... EVERYONE lets in a bad goal from time to time. It's part of being a goalie. That puck hopped fierce on him, too. He has since had a very solid rookie year in the AHL, a meh second year, and so far his third year is looking strong.

I just saw this list of goaltenders that will be available as UFA's this summer on HF and it made me think of what the future of is for goaltenders on the Devils...

Ilya Bryzgalov

Tomas Vokoun

Craig Anderson

JS Giguere

Jimmy Howard

Marty Turco

Peter Budaj

Pascal Leclaire

Antti Niemi

Chris Osgood

Dwayne Roloson

Mike Smith

Most of those guys will be retired and/or completely burned out by the time they reach UFA. I would love to see Jimmy Howard in a Devils uniform(He's on my NHL11 Be-a-GM and starts now since Marty retired). Vokoun would be another great choice but he'd be getting pretty old, we be subbing out an old goalie for another old goalie. You need to assume that Anderson and Bryz will resign, and expect Howard to as well. I think the best bet would be picking up an established(yet preferrably young) guy through a trade. Budaj is a poor backup and would be an average starter. Besides Howard, I really really want to see what Frazee would do with the oppurtunity in the NHL. His confidence is still really shaky I heard.

I think this is the least pressing concern facing the organisation in the future.

An amazing goaltender, whilst always being extremely usfull, has become less esential to sucsess in the last few years.

As a result I think we wil take a look at who is around at the time Marty retires and select the best available. I could see Marty signing an extension and eventually splitting the role and mentoring one of our prospects or a younger UFA untill he decides to call it a day.

Either way, there will be no replacement for Marty.

And we will have to be exceptionally lucky to find ourselves a goaltender even close to the quality of Marty ever again.