Some Thoughts on the Jagr Era

devilsrule33

The Jaromir Jagr era in NJ is one of the more depressing time periods for anyone younger than 35. It really only rivals the short-lived John Maclean-coached era. It began after a 2nd "superstar" in consecutive years left the franchise. It coincided with the awkward end of the Brodeur era. There was little offensive talent. No offensive prospects, horrible free agent signings, a complete inability to win a shootout (16, 17 losses in a row?), and it pretty much ended the day a coach was fired and Adam Oates was brought in (more on that in a bit).

But none of that should be a reflection on Jaromir Jagr. The man is a living legend, one of the ten greatest players in NHL history, and possibly the greatest winger in NHL history (a debate for another day, no disrespect Gordie). I got to see him as a New Jersey Devil. I got to see him score an OT winner live against the Senators this year. But what's so great about Jagr coming to New Jersey, unlike dozens and dozens of past-their-prime, all-but-finished former superstars, Jaromir Jagr was still damn good. I mean really really good.

When I said the other day I felt that Jagr is the most under-appreciated Devil ever, it wasn't just for being dumped into the middle of a ton of suckage. It's because of how good he was for a year-and-a-half, especially his 67 point season last year at the age of 42. A lot of people last year kept saying if only this team had Ilya Kovalchuk. That would have been nice, but as Tri has pointed a number of times, there is no Jaromir Jagr if Ilya Kovalchuk is still in NJ. And after Ilya Kovalchuk left, there is no way that Lou, Pete, and the fans knew what they were getting is someone as good as Ilya Kovalchuk. I'm still not sure people realize that.

Jagr averaged 2.20 points/60 minutes of ES last year. Ilya Kovalchuk averaged 1.55, 2, and a pathetic 1.18 in '11,'12, and '13 respectively.  He was a better 5-on-5 player at 42 than Kovalchuk ever was going to be as a Devil. By the way, his 2.20 points per 60 minutes was higher than in 2 of Parise's last 4 seasons in NJ.

But above being better than Kovalchuk, in playing all 82 games, his 67 points last year were more than the likes of Spezza, Stastny (both recently signing mega deals), Richards, Eberle, Iginla, Staal and Hossa. He was a point or two away from Toews, St. Louis, Kane, Marleau, Kopitar and Duchene. And I can promise you that none of them played with more offensively challenged players than Zajac, Zubrus and Ruutu. The former two being his most common linemates.

Being so close to the players I listed shows 67 points is a big deal for any player in today's NHL. The goalies are as good as ever, systems are stronger, there is less power play time to accumulate points, so the game really is about 5-on-5 hockey. It's not a game anymore where veteran players can survive being hidden on a good PP -- think Messier, Hull, Francis, Oates, and Nieuwendyk, and in the later years to a much lesser extent, Selanne and Whitney. To play now late into your career, you have to be good at ES hockey. Jagr was damn good at it at 42 fvcking years old.

He brought more than good play in a depressing time. He was the first true "character" the Devils ever had. I'm sure there have been some funny guys but Jagr never shied away from being himself. If it was making fun of Zubrus even though his math isn't great; "I got traded (in 2000) from Pittsburgh and had 120 points," Jagr recalled. "They put (Zubrus) on the line and I had 70. So, it was a 50 percent drop. So, it wasn't a good move", and “It’s a long streak for me without a goal,” Jagr said. “Zubie did a great job to shut me down eight games. Finally, I jumped on the ice when he wasn’t there, so I could break the streak. And one more: “He kills every penalty,” Jagr said of Zubrus, before adding, “And he kills all the five-on-fives. He’s just a killer. He’s killing me.”

Or if it was confusing Cam Janssen with Gretzky after scoring two goals quickly after being called up "Gretzky got here" or just making fun of other teammates, hoping to go a full season without a credited hit, reminding anyone that would listen how smart and how much of a physical "freak" he is or singing Meghn Trainor, it was always a riot And of course letting us know he'll be playing hockey forever: “I’ll tell you one thing, as long as I don’t die, it’s not my last year of playing hockey,” said Jagr, who will turn 42 in February. “I don’t know where I’m gonna play. I don’t know if I’m gonna play U.S. or somewhere else. I’m gonna play. I’ll play until I cannot walk. I love the game too much to leave it.”

So in an incredibly long career that hopefully won't end for a while, I'm happy that Jaromir Jagr stopped here in NJ, and we got the fun Jagr, we got to see over power defenseman in the corner, use his big backside, even on a 1-on-1, seemingly pass another legend or break another record nightly, and be the best Devils player at age 41 and 42. We never got the Jagr salute, but he did one better, he made it fun to follow the Devils on a day-to-day basis when it really had no business being fun to follow the New Jersey Devils.

bi0lvcxieaazsmy.jpg

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

Nice post dr33. You are right...Jagr made the Devils as fun as anyone could last season. Not too many 42-year-olds doing what Jagr did last year.

I still think the Devils could have signed Jagr if Kovy were still here. There were the rumors that the Devils were trying to trade for him in the lockout year, which appear credible as I recall it was from the same source that had him signing with the Devils as a free agent. Ryder and Brunner were really the Kovy substitutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still think the Devils could have signed Jagr if Kovy were still here. There were the rumors that the Devils were trying to trade for him in the lockout year, which appear credible as I recall it was from the same source that had him signing with the Devils as a free agent. Ryder and Brunner were really the Kovy substitutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That wouldve been something. Kovy and Jagr on potentially the same line.

The Jaromir Jagr era in NJ is one of the more depressing time periods for anyone younger than 35. It really only rivals the short-lived John Maclean-coached era. It began after a 2nd "superstar" in consecutive years left the franchise. It coincided with the awkward end of the Brodeur era. There was little offensive talent. No offensive prospects, horrible free agent signings, a complete inability to win a shootout (16, 17 losses in a row?), and it pretty much ended the day a coach was fired and Adam Oates was brought in (more on that in a bit).

What a cliffhanger :P

Great post. Jagr was fun to watch on the ice and his interviews were awesome. I always got the impression he genuinely enjoyed being a Devil.

Good post. However, I really don't see how Jagr was under appreciated. He played for the team for like an hour and we won nothing with him on the team. He was the best forward on the team last year and for some of this year and he gave us something interesting to watch and most fans acknowledge that. Even so, I don't think his time here was so memorable and he is not much more than a footnote in Devils history: "Jagr played one and a half seasons for the Devils and was their leading scorer over that time. He was then traded to Florida"). I think he was a classy guy in his time here and a great leader/role model for the younger guys.

Edited by Neb00rs

Good post. However, I really don't see how Jagr was under appreciated. He played for the team for like an hour and we won nothing with him on the team. He was the best forward on the team last year and for some of this year and he gave us something interesting to watch and most fans acknowledge that. Even so, I don't think his time here was so memorable and he is not much more than a footnote in Devils history: "Jagr played one and a half seasons for the Devils and was their leading scorer over that time. He was then traded to Florida"). I think he was a classy guy in his time here and a great leader/role model for the younger guys.

There is no one on this roster capable of scoring 67 points with the other players assembled here.  It could be several years before anyone does that again as a Devil.

Tri has part of why I think he was underrated. But, he's also under-appreciated as a Devil, as a hockey player, and in the entire sports landscape because of what he did at the age of 42. I was guilty as well. It's one of the more impressive seasons in NHL history as far as I am concerned. The fact that you can't see why he is underrated, is almost proving my point. 

As Devils fans, it was easy to get caught up in a brutal loss here, or blown lead and a shootout loss, an of course the endless Brodeur/Schneider debates, and possible Brodeur trade. But each night Jaromir Jagr was doing something special. Everyone was saying this team needed Kovalchuk or a Parise, but Jagr was not only doing an adequate job replacing them, he might have been doing a better job. I already compared Jagr to Kovalchuk at ES, but how about Parise?

Zach Parise last 3 seasons  points/60 vs Jagr

11-12 - 2.18  - common linemates Kovalchuk/Henrique

12-13 - 1.89 -  common linemate with Koivu

13-14 - 1.64 - common linemates with Koivu/Pominville

13-14 - 2:20 (Jagr) common linemates with Zajac/Zubrus

I'm not sure what else to say. He was right there with Toews, Hossa and Sharp who all played together. Iginla, Krejci, and Lucic who played together. Marleau, Kopitar, Duchene, Eberle, Staal, etc, etc. All these star players that we wish were on the Devils, and at 42, Jagr was right there producing as much as them.

If you knew all that, well I guess you didn't underrate him.

Edited by devilsrule33

Tri has part of why I think he was underrated. But, he's also under-appreciated as a Devil, as a hockey player, and in the entire sports landscape because of what he did at the age of 42. I was guilty as well. It's one of the more impressive seasons in NHL history as far as I am concerned. The fact that you can't see why he is underrated, is almost proving my point. 

As Devils fans, it was easy to get caught up in a brutal loss here, or blown lead and a shootout loss, an of course the endless Brodeur/Schneider debates, and possible Brodeur trade. But each night Jaromir Jagr was doing something special. Everyone was saying this team needed Kovalchuk or a Parise, but Jagr was not only doing an adequate job replacing them, he might have been doing a better job. I already compared Jagr to Kovalchuk at ES, but how about Parise?

Zach Parise last 3 seasons  points/60 vs Jagr

11-12 - 2.18  - common linemates Kovalchuk/Henrique

12-13 - 1.89 -  common linemate with Koivu

13-14 - 1.64 - common linemates with Koivu/Pominville

13-14 - 2:20 (Jagr) common linemates with Zajac/Zubrus

I'm not sure what else to say. He was right there with Toews, Hossa and Sharp who all played together. Iginla, Krejci, and Lucic who played together. Marleau, Kopitar, Duchene, Eberle, Staal, etc, etc. All these star players that we wish were on the Devils, and at 42, Jagr was right there producing as much as them.

If you knew all that, well I guess you didn't underrate him.

I didn't know all that, no, and good post, but it's not what I am saying. Actually I am not sure what you are saying. You said "Jagr is the most under-appreciated Devil ever." I think he was probably underrated (definitely for doing it at 42) as a hockey player during his time here, mostly because I think that people just saw his stat line and judged him for that, even moreso around the league than in the Devils' fanbase. I just don't think he was 'underappreciated as a Devil' though. I think Jagr has gotten the credit that is due his team MVP play as a Devil in 2013-14. It doesn't need to be overblown. Overall his time on the Devils is a blip on the radar, due to the fact that the Devils didn't win anything with him here and for the fact that he was hardly here. He gets enough appreciation, the fact is, he just isn't owed THAT much of it.

Andy Greene is an 'underappreciated Devil'.

Edited by Neb00rs

I didn't know all that, no, and good post, but it's not what I am saying. Actually I am not sure what you are saying. You said "Jagr is the most under-appreciated Devil ever." I think he was probably underrated (definitely for doing it at 42) as a hockey player during his time here, mostly because I think that people just saw his stat line and judged him for that, even moreso around the league than in the Devils' fanbase. I just don't think he was 'underappreciated as a Devil' though. I think Jagr has gotten the credit that is due his team MVP play as a Devil in 2013-14. It doesn't need to be overblown. Overall his time on the Devils is a blip on the radar, due to the fact that the Devils didn't win anything with him here and for the fact that he was hardly here. He gets enough appreciation, the fact is, he just isn't owed THAT much of it.

Andy Greene is an 'underappreciated Devil'.

I agree with this.  Under-appreciated as a hockey player?  Yes.  In fact, having him on our team has made me see that.  I was never a fan of Jagr's before he came here, but having him here made me realize what a special player he is.  But under-appreciated as a Devil?  I don't think so.  Most if not all of us respect and see what he did last year, at an old age, with crappy linemates.  That's not being under-appreciated.  

A guy like Patrik Elias is probably under-appreciated.  Played his entire career so far for one organization.  Was a class act both on and off the ice.  His skill was great which led him to a fantastic 1,000+ point career so far, but he wasn't necessarily with the 'elite' scorers in NHL history either.  With that said, he never said boo to anyone or about anyone, always did what was asked of him, saw many players and friends come and go over the years, and now, at the late stages of his career, has turned into a fabulous mentor, role player, and model Devil.  

• Like 1

Nice 33, good points on all, the only thing I may add is that I loved watching Jags on the bench talking to his line mates. the super intensity and the hockey sense, basicly yelling at them, telling them where they should be and what they should be looking for

and remember his start here? we were all like "WTF" this guy is done! and then you saw the possession beast emerge

my kid is bummed out that he wont be seeing that long stick play keep away

I agree with this.  Under-appreciated as a hockey player?  Yes.  In fact, having him on our team has made me see that.  I was never a fan of Jagr's before he came here, but having him here made me realize what a special player he is.  But under-appreciated as a Devil?  I don't think so.  Most if not all of us respect and see what he did last year, at an old age, with crappy linemates.  That's not being under-appreciated.  

A guy like Patrik Elias is probably under-appreciated.  Played his entire career so far for one organization.  Was a class act both on and off the ice.  His skill was great which led him to a fantastic 1,000+ point career so far, but he wasn't necessarily with the 'elite' scorers in NHL history either.  With that said, he never said boo to anyone or about anyone, always did what was asked of him, saw many players and friends come and go over the years, and now, at the late stages of his career, has turned into a fabulous mentor, role player, and model Devil.  

Well said.