This off seasons UFA's and realistic possible trades

2ELIAS6

Source?

Devils have never had trouble luring UFAs if the price is was right.

And it's not like players are hesitant to return.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I can't recall where I read it, but I do remember reading it somewhere because I was kind of shocked that such a successful organization wasn't held in higher regard.

I can't recall where I read it, but I do remember reading it somewhere because I was kind of shocked that such a successful organization wasn't held in higher regard.

See my above post. They were probably polling such brain surgeons as JVR and Bobby Ryan.

Not saying that. There was a poll of players conducted several years ago. Devils were in the bottom 10 of least desirable teams.

Sigh.  See, this is a dumb survey.  The question was, what team would you least like to be traded to, and the Devils were high up on the list.  Of course this must mean that some people have said bad things about the organization.  However, there's several things at play here -

1:  I don't think players have a ton of teams where they wouldn't like to go.  So choosing between teams you wouldn't want to go to is like an anti-minefield 

2:  With that in mind, I imagine there are players who have long hair and/or beards where it's like okay I don't want to go to New Jersey.

Which is of course fine.  But don't make it sound like this is one of the least popular destinations based on that survey.  And look at how many players have come back. 

See my above post. They were probably polling such brain surgeons as JVR and Bobby Ryan.

Exactly. It depends what kind of person these players are. NHL players range from 18 to 43 at the moment. A young guy who wants to be out partying will have a different reaction to Lou's rules than a family man in his thirties who might appreciate a more structured environment.

You have to think we have the reputation around the league as being a low scoring, defensive system team. IMO it's not hard to believe that a lot of players would rather play for an exciting team and get a lot of points. It takes a special kind of player to want to play for a team like NJ. Should make you appreciate guys like Elias even more.

You have to think we have the reputation around the league as being a low scoring, defensive system team. IMO it's not hard to believe that a lot of players would rather play for an exciting team and get a lot of points. It takes a special kind of player to want to play for a team like NJ. Should make you appreciate guys like Elias even more.

I think this is what we have going for us in the Schneider situation. Aside from last year's circus, can't see him finding a better situation as a goalie anywhere else. He has to kinda get the feeling that the Devils will add years to his career, it's that simple.

Exactly. It depends what kind of person these players are. NHL players range from 18 to 43 at the moment. A young guy who wants to be out partying will have a different reaction to Lou's rules than a family man in his thirties who might appreciate a more structured environment.

I don't think anyone really likes Lou's structured environment or some of the stricter things he does. Even appreciate could be a stretch. These guys are adults and don't love to be treated like children. The question becomes are Lou's rules enough to make you not want to come. They probably shouldn't,, but for people who don't know exactly how things work...it might leave them with other options.

Edited by devilsrule33

I think this is what we have going for us in the Schneider situation. Aside from last year's circus, can't see him finding a better situation as a goalie anywhere else. He has to kinda get the feeling that the Devils will add years to his career, it's that simple.

Yeah gotta agree with that. I would think that NJ would be a prime spot for goalies and defenders. It's just hard to get those big point producers to want to play here when they know their stats will drop. Hell we even tried to change how Kovy played the game when he got here.

Considering every big name player only wants to go to the Rangers anyway (Nash, MSL and now Thornton), everyone else 2-30 you might as well draw lots to see where they slot in behind the bright lights of MSG :P

Thornton has said to media that he wants to stay in San Jose and that he doesn't want to be traded.  The quote was something along the lines of, as long as the fans want me here, I want to be here. 

Edited by RizzMB30

"Loser Joe" has a right not to be flexible. His extension hasn't even kicked in. I'm sure team commitments were made. Now the Sharks are looking to trade him? He has a right to be as specific as he wants. I can see why he has interest in the Rangers. 

The problem is that the Rangers don't really have much to trade at this point for a player like Thornton. No first round pick this year or the next. Outside of JT Miller and perhaps Buchovich, they don't have prospects that other teams might covet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah gotta agree with that. I would think that NJ would be a prime spot for goalies and defenders. It's just hard to get those big point producers to want to play here when they know their stats will drop. Hell we even tried to change how Kovy played the game when he got here.

Kovy's game needed to be changed and rounded out.  He came from a franchise where they only seemed interested in how many points he could put up, as the expense of just about everything else.  I (and many others) remember being surprised at how raw he was in many aspects of the game when he first came here.  If Lemaire hadn't worked with him, I think his body of work as a Devil would've been a lot worse. 

The problem is that the Rangers don't really have much to trade at this point for a player like Thornton. No first round pick this year or the next. Outside of JT Miller and perhaps Buchovich, they don't have prospects that other teams might covet.

I hope they do pick him up for exactly this reason. They have already mortgaged their future for what amounts to nothing, they might as well keep digging the hole deeper.

If they don't win a cup before Hank starts to decline I could see them reverting to the perpetual losers they were in the late 90s and early 00s with nothing to show for it.

Crossing my fingers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118

Kovy's game needed to be changed and rounded out.  He came from a franchise where they only seemed interested in how many points he could put up, as the expense of just about everything else.  I (and many others) remember being surprised at how raw he was in many aspects of the game when he first came here.  If Lemaire hadn't worked with him, I think his body of work as a Devil would've been a lot worse. 

Yeah he was definitely a better hockey player when he left NJ. I just think that from the player's point of view, especially a guy like Spezza, a defensive system team is not what they're looking for. And we've had that rep for years. We usually get the bigger names after they hit 35. Lately it seems like all of the UFA's we get are projects. 

a package of hagelin, jt miller would be a good start for the rangers. i think they could make something work.

"Loser Joe" has a right not to be flexible. His extension hasn't even kicked in. I'm sure team commitments were made. Now the Sharks are looking to trade him? He has a right to be as specific as he wants. I can see why he has interest in the Rangers. 

I wouldn't exactly blame him for holding the Sharks' feet to the fire if they try to Holmgren him (deal him before the extension kicks in)...but I'm just sick of all these guys only wanting to play for the Rangers.  WTF makes the Rangers so special compared to the Kings/Hawks/Bruins/etc where all these players can't wait to go there?  I've never seen a rash of big-name players wind up forcing their way to one team like this.

And I don't want to hear about Thornton and Nash being buddy buddy either, Thornton has been in the league 15 years, he doesn't have any other friends?

Edited by NJDevs4978

I wouldn't exactly blame him for holding the Sharks' feet to the fire if they try to Holmgren him (deal him before the extension kicks in)...but I'm just sick of all these guys only wanting to play for the Rangers. WTF makes the Rangers so special compared to the Kings/Hawks/Bruins/etc where all these players can't wait to go there? I've never seen a rash of players wind up forcing their way to one team.

C'mon Has, you know the answer to that... BROADWAY BRAH!!!! BRIGHT LIGHTS BRAH!!!! TWINKLE IN THE EYE BRAH!!!! WORLD'S MOST FAMOUS RENOVATED ARENA BRAH!!!! (BTW, did you know it was renovated?!!!!). Edited by MadDog2020