Larsson/Brunner/Yayo-Gate

RunninWithTheDevil

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This idea floating around that Larsson is a bad skater is a complete MYTH. Is he an excellent skater? No, or at least not yet. Is he a bad skater? Hell no.

At this stage in his development, he needs actual playing time. Myers, Hedman, Johnson all got sustained playing time, for years, to grow. 37 games last season wasnt enough for Larsson, and can damage his confidence. He is not a player who will look good playing in and out of the lineup. He needs consistent ice.

larsson skates very smooth and you want him to move his feet more or anticipate better 

other players who played well in preseason and were not awarded for it; kinkaid and even gomez and well Helgeson imo and yes i miss carter and i like tootoo

trade the swedes 

If we still had Volch and Larsson was sitting, I'd be mad, but by letting Fayne walk and buying out Volch, the Devils gave the kid every chance to succeed. I'm not writing him off yet at all, and I don't know if PDB plans to sit him for long, but as of now, he lost a spot he was damn near guaranteed to a 20 year old. That's not PDB showing a bias toward older guys. I also don't buy that PDB has a problem with Europeans. Jagr has been great here. More apropos, Ruutu, whose style meshes well with DeBoer's has fit right in and taken a spot from Carter, a DeBoer guy. Maybe Larsson is good, but isn't right for this team. More likely, as imo he ideally plays a similar game to Fayne, who did just fine, he just wasn't good enough in camp.

Sadly, if we didn't win the draft lottery that year, we probably would have taken Dougie Hamilton at #8.

I've thought that exact same thing, I was actually rooting for the black and red to grab Hamilton (as the Devils are always willing to draft outside the box), but ultimately I was reassured by all of the Larsson hype and was cool with the pick at the time. I really can't blame the organization for drafting him, but oh, what could have been.

Adam should be happy that we moved a solid defenseman in fayne so he could have another chance to play in the NHL. instead of sulking why doesnt he light a fire under himself. stop worrying about mistakes and play the game fast, being out ahead of the play and using his edges to keep his speed up to stay infront of your man during a rush. and stop leaning on your toes so much in front of the goal.  use your body to protect the puck, dig it out and skate.  look in the mirror kid, why did you sign a 900K contract?

Edited by EdgeControl

The devils were drafting Larsson if they had #1 overall. Conte said it at the time and I don't think it was bullsh!t.

It may not be with NJ, but I will bet on Larsson playing 750+ games in the NHL. He will not be a back pairing guy. Maybe he won't be the #1 people thought - but he'll be a second pairing guy for many years.

And how's he going to do that if he doesn't play against NHL-caliber competition?

You can only do so much in practice. And he was clearly outclassing everyone else in the AHL last season, what a waste that was.

Improving your skating ability is not something you do or can achieve by playing games in the NHL. Reading the game yes. But skating is a fundamental aspect.

The coaches must realise this. If he wants to make it he needs to be taking extra sessions week in week out. If with additional training his skating and lateral movement don't improve it will be a case of him just not having top level skill. And in the "new" NHL mobility is a must.

The devils were drafting Larsson if they had #1 overall. Conte said it at the time and I don't think it was bullsh!t.

It may not be with NJ, but I will bet on Larsson playing 750+ games in the NHL. He will not be a back pairing guy. Maybe he won't be the #1 people thought - but he'll be a second pairing guy for many years.

Of course he'll play that much - high picks always get a million chances, and even years later they are often highly overvalued by NHL teams.  So even if he doesn't get better he'll play.  The question is how good he'll be - it's so weird because he has the most important asset for a D but nothing else.

Of course he'll play that much - high picks always get a million chances, and even years later they are often highly overvalued by NHL teams. So even if he doesn't get better he'll play. The question is how good he'll be - it's so weird because he has the most important asset for a D but nothing else.

Cam Barker 2.0. And he just cut from The A.

Why does everyone assume all of these players are prima donna's? A player can be frustrated and be willing to work through it and earn more playing time

Where did I indicate this in my post that I label him a primadonna? I think he deserves to play.

Because we are going in the 3rd season here with this. And Larsson is clearly frustrated and angry and I don't blame him. Deboer plays Stephen Gionta like he's the second coming of Gordie Howe even thought he is brutal yet Larsson gets called out in the press for no justifiable reason. Deboer just flat out doesn't like him or how he plays. His days are numbered here especially if guys like Severson and Gelinas solidify their spots and Deboer favorite Peter Harrold gets brought back up. Larsson already contemplated to go home to Sweden at the end of last season.

Where did I indicate this in my post that I label him a primadonna? I think he deserves to play.

Because we are going in the 3rd season here with this. And Larsson is clearly frustrated and angry and I don't blame him. Deboer plays Stephen Gionta like he's the second coming of Gordie Howe even thought he is brutal yet Larsson gets called out in the press for no justifiable reason. Deboer just flat out doesn't like him or how he plays. His days are numbered here especially if guys like Severson and Gelinas solidify their spots and Deboer favorite Peter Harrold gets brought back up. Larsson already contemplated to go home to Sweden at the end of last season.

I think he realize that there will be an opening spot next season (assuming we don't resign Sal) and maybe Zids. But he got to be frustrated, he took less money opting out of his bonus when he signed his ELC just so he could be in the lineup right away and help the devils and their cap... and now he's getting the bench all the time. 

It may not be justified that he's frustrated cause it's easy to say "play better and you'll play" but players don't always see it that way. Bottom line he's frustrated and that's no good for him. I mean... he clearly see that if nobody either get injured or play really really badly that he won't be playing much. 

did larsson beat fayne for a spot back in the past; was fayne sitting for larsson at any point, just throwing that out there no idea

edit: also the way Albelin was Larssons coach in Albany and Stevens quit or whatever you want to call it; people thought or maybe it was me that it had something to do with Larsson or at least he would get a better shot which he did minus Fayne

if Albelin said we have a plan just sit some games you dont hear these comments i dont think, so Debo or the higher ups either over ruled Albelin (most likely) or even Albelin thinks theres a problem

Edited by lazer