Brodeur retires, joins STL front office

Marshall

One of the greats, and we were all lucky to see him in New Jersey.  The 3 years Brodeur won a Stanley Cup, his stats were:  67 games, 48 wins, 19 losses, 1.64 GAA, .930 SV%.  And yet some of his great playoff performances have come recently - his 44 save shutout of the Carolina Hurricanes in 2009 and a 25 save performance in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2012 are highlights that don't come with Stanley Cups attached but that doesn't make them any less great.  And of course that that 2012 performance came 18 years after his first great playoff performance - what a career.

They made a rule to try to stop how good he was with the puck, but that didn't slow him down - 2 of his best years were after that rule was instituted.  He played his own style that no one else will play, and no one else will wear #30 for this franchise again.

I think even the Devils fans who insisted on killing Marty at times for various things know all of the above deep down.  I've pointed out how awesome he was during the Cup-winning runs...in all three of them, he raised his game considerably from what he had done in the regular season.  Many goalies go the other way come playoff time, as we've seen. 

And yeah, very good 2012 playoff run (he was around .920 until Game 6 of the SCF) and a terrific run in '94 as well...and lots of other terrific playoff games too.  Guy was simply one of the best ever to play his position.  Won 688 games with one team...270 more than the next guy (Tony Esposito).  Just a beast, and yep, we were lucky as hell to watch him...even if his last couple of seasons were rough.  Small price to play for all that came before (this was something you seemed to have trouble with previously).     

I don't have any issue with this. It's likely that he's just honoring the contract that he signed and he's finishing out the year. No idea what he's doing for them but it sounds like he's more hanging on and pretending to be a player by traveling with the team, etc.

the argument that he should have retired instead of trying to catch on somewhere else is just stupid. While I agree he was ready to retire based on the decline in his performance. But he still wanted to play. And the Devils didn't want him to.

I wouldn't let anyone force me to retire from playing a game I love if I still wanted to play. He waited, he found a job, so be it. The situation in St. Louis changed, so he retired and moved on to something else.

I'm sure he'll be back in Jersey before long.

Congrats on an awesome, awesome career and thanks for 20 years of memories.

Interesting note: Marty being one of my favorite players of all time, I purchased a Blues jersey and sent it for customizing shortly after he played his first Blues game. That jersey is still out being customized, he retired before I got it back.

One of the greats, and we were all lucky to see him in New Jersey.  The 3 years Brodeur won a Stanley Cup, his stats were:  67 games, 48 wins, 19 losses, 1.64 GAA, .930 SV%.  And yet some of his great playoff performances have come recently - his 44 save shutout of the Carolina Hurricanes in 2009 and a 25 save performance in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2012 are highlights that don't come with Stanley Cups attached but that doesn't make them any less great.  And of course that that 2012 performance came 18 years after his first great playoff performance - what a career.

They made a rule to try to stop how good he was with the puck, but that didn't slow him down - 2 of his best years were after that rule was instituted.  He played his own style that no one else will play, and no one else will wear #30 for this franchise again.

This says it all. Salutations Marty. People are so consumed with his choice they don't realize...Marty is done.

So be it. Did the right thing by retiring as a player at least, though some will think he hung on too long. At least it never got to be Martin Biron/Mikka Kiprusoff ugly on the ice.

Of course it got that ugly. He's been atrocious the past couple years.

What's more painful is that, with how awful we have been this year, Marty would have played a good amount of games with us had he agreed to come back as a backup. What a sad, fizzled out limp of an ending.

• Like 1

Of course it got that ugly. He's been atrocious the past couple years.

What's more painful is that, with how awful we have been this year, Marty would have played a good amount of games with us had he agreed to come back as a backup. What a sad, fizzled out limp of an ending.

No, it didn't get that ugly.  Go check out Kiprusoff's final season.

So he was atrocious the last couple of seasons, but he would've played a good amount of games with the Devils as a backup had he re-signed.  That makes a lot of sense.  I'm sure the Devils would've given a sub .900 save% goalie starts at the expense of a guy 14 years younger stopping pucks at a .920ish rate.  Marty would've struggled to make much of a case as to why he should get any appreciable playing time.  At any rate, the situation would've sucked for everyone involved.  

How many aging players go out on top?  Almost none.  That's a very rare occurrence.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

So true. He was in goal for some really memorable games.  One of my favorites was 5/8/2000 where the NJD defeated/eliminated Toronto and the shots on goal by period was 3-2-1 total 6.  He spent almost the entire game as a spectator.

/end tj

Edited by StarDew

He was special. We should be grateful we got to watch him for 20 years. Nothing changes that.

Absolutely no issues with Marty working in the Blues front office, and frankly I'm a little nervous about him joining the Devils front office next year. We have no idea if he'd be any good at it, and if turns out that it doesn't suit him, it's that much more difficult for the team to admit it was a mistake. It's similar to doctors that won't operate on friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, it didn't get that ugly.  Go check out Kiprusoff's final season.

So he was atrocious the last couple of seasons, but he would've played a good amount of games with the Devils as a backup had he re-signed.  That makes a lot of sense.  I'm sure the Devils would've given a sub .900 save% goalie starts at the expense of a guy 14 years younger stopping pucks at a .920ish rate.  Marty would've struggled to make much of a case as to why he should get any appreciable playing time.  At any rate, the situation would've sucked for everyone involved.  

How many aging players go out on top?  Almost none.  That's a very rare occurrence.  

Yeah, the Devils def wouldve played Marty over Kinkaid. It wouldnt matter if Kinkaid had 10 shutouts, he wouldnt play ahead of Marty. 

Lots go out on top. The greatest goalie of all time just retired and you'd be hard pressed to even find a large headline/article on it from a mainstream sports site.

We should have an NJDevs pilgrimage to Toronto in 2018 for Marty's HOF weekend.

Brodeur was the player that got me into hockey and the Devils full time. I already miss his presence on the ice for better or worse.

Assuming Marty is a first ballot, when will he get into the hall?

See my last post sir.

Brodeur was the player that got me into hockey and the Devils full time. I already miss his presence on the ice for better or worse.

Assuming Marty is a first ballot, when will he get into the hall?

3 seasons away from the game as a player. This season doesnt count obviously. 

His first year of eligibility is 2018.

Edited by ghdi

Not with some factions of this fanbase apparently.  For some, seven (though some insist on falsely saying six games over and over again) games with another team tarnishes everything.

Get over yourself and get a dictionary. It was 6 starts and 7 total games played, do you really want to run around being all sanctimonious over that? No one said it tarnished everything, it's pathetic how you have to change peoples words to win internet arguments that aren't even being had,

Heres my ultimate dream ending...

Next season, marty signs a PTO, plays a home pre-season game where he's splitting the game with his son. Marty starts, anthony ends the game. And they both have a special moment and an ovation at the end of the game.

Then marty takes a job in the front office.

• Like 2

Get over yourself and get a dictionary. It was 6 starts and 7 total games played, do you really want to run around being all sanctimonious over that? No one said it tarnished everything, it's pathetic how you have to change peoples words to win internet arguments that aren't even being had,

Why exactly would I need a dictionary?  When since do dictionaries help with counting and doing simple research?  BTW it was FIVE starts (as in not six) and TWO relief appearances for a total of - you guessed it - SEVEN games.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/brodema01.html

Sorry, but I think those who insist that Marty playing those whopping seven games for another team somehow diminished his legend should at least get the very basics correct (apparently you can't be bothered to do that). 

And here's your exact words from the "Marty Watch" thread:

What a waste.

Perfect Devils career tarnished for 6 meaningless games.

No one said that his little run in St. Louis tarnished everything?  Really? 

Awesome...nice work there.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, if we really think about it...it's a perfect storm of events that allowed Marty to remain a Devil as long as he did.  Take out any of the following and he might have played for another team much sooner than he did (and for significantly more games):

1)  After a bad few months to start the season, Marty plays well down the stretch in the 2011-12 regular season, and for much for the playoffs (a stretch of about 50 games), but his overall body of work in 2010-11 and 2011-12 is inconsistent.  If Marty had started strong but then finished poorly in 2011-12, how far does Lou go to re-sign him?  Especially if the Devils a young ready-to-go goaltender prospect who has nothing left to prove in the AHL (see #3). 

2)  With the 2013-14 season in serious jeopardy of being lost, Lou signs Marty to a two-year deal.  As we've seen, Lou doesn't exactly shy away from signing certain aging players (like Elias) to multi-year deals, so maybe if there wasn't a lockout looming, it is fair to say Marty would still have gotten a two-year deal (apparently other teams were offering that).  But it might have been less of a slamdunk.   

3)  The fact that Hedberg was also re-signed said plenty about how Lou felt about his younger goalies at the time.  If the Devils had a young stud in Albany who was clearly ready to play, maybe Hedberg doesn't get re-signed at all...which might open the door for the young kid...and if that kid was clearly outplaying Marty, maybe he eventually wrestles the job away (though I'm guessing the organization from top-to-bottom wouldn't have made it easy for such a player to accomplish this).  But it's fair to say that Marty got as many games as he did in 2013 (when healthy) and kept his "#1 undisputed" status because there was simply no one to challenge him even a little bit. 

Basically, though the above is just hypotheticals, this is all a way of saying much of the reason Marty remained a Devils for as long as he did had to do with the circumstances lining up just right...sentimentality definitely played a role (very hard to say goodbye to the face-of-your-franchise goalie who has just played a significant role in the Devils' reaching the SCF), and as far as that aspect goes, I understand it completely.  There was no way Lou was going to say "Thanks for everything Marty, but we don't need you anymore", especially with no controlled-cost option in the system waiting to step in. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Heres my ultimate dream ending...

Next season, marty signs a PTO, plays a home pre-season game where he's splitting the game with his son. Marty starts, anthony ends the game. And they both have a special moment and an ovation at the end of the game.

Then marty takes a job in the front office.

Kind of like this, but Anthony probably can't get much more than 5-10 minutes in that scenario, tops.  I'd hate to see Marty's kid get embarrassed by NHL talent...I could see him giving up 3 or 4 goals on 6 or 7 shots.  I get that it's just a symbolic gesture and should have nothing to do with results, so maybe that's not the right way to look at it.