Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

Anyone else enjoying John Scott leading the all-star voting? I think is a great eye-opener for the NHL to change the format of the all-star fan voting selections. It's a complete mockery of this entire system, and I think we can all agree that it hasn't exactly been pleasant to the devils the past few years.  The thought of having John Scott out there in a 3 vs. 3 tourny while Bettman and the rest of the NHL watches is actually hilarious in my eyes. 

Thoughts? 

Oh don't get too excited, they'll have some mysterious miscounting of the votes and misplace chads before that happens.

A pretty good game in Brooklyn. Rangers played better than the last 2-3 weeks. Teams combined for 71 shots and 104 hits. Only 2 goals. Okposo shoots home the winner. Well played. And Dan Boyle with the slooooowest and oddest shootout attempt ever. 

Ducks lose again. 2-1 to Lightning. They can't score at all.

I'll just leave this here... https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=ootwIFxbOVY

[emoji28][emoji28][emoji28][emoji28]

Is there anything more stereotypical than some jackass providing his own commentary while filming something? I love how one of his buddies even says "hey man there's a kid" and he keeps on being an asshat.

Ah, the Garden, where "you think you're betta than me?" is not just a phrase, its a lifestyle!

So Alex Semin is being put on waivers by Montreal. Remember when he had such great offensive upside and all that?

I remember wondering if the Devils would sign him as Plan B for Parise leaving (and was really hoping that they wouldn't). 

I remember wondering if the Devils would sign him as Plan B for Parise leaving (and was really hoping that they wouldn't). 

He had an amazing season that year, so I was initially disappointed he didn't sign in NJ. But now, it sure looks good that Semin didn't sign here (unless he can find a way to get that amazing Tlusty chemistry back)!

Andrew MacDonald has been called up for the flyers.

That's gotta be one of the worst contracts in hockey. 5 years 30 million for... Andrew McDonald

Being a Flyers fan must be pretty frustrating. On the one hand, over the past ten or so years, they've drafted very well and have made some absolute steals of trades. It's just a few boneheaded moves that have managed to derail the whole thing. I mean, Lou and Conte have had some pretty bad luck drafting over the same period of time, and some questionable free agent signings. But essentially the Schneider deal makes up for a lot of that (and yes, feel free to pull out my fools gold posts from the beginning of last year).

Fortunately for them, and unfortunately for us, Hextall does seem to have a long term plan in building up their defense in the draft and not rushing things. Perhaps the one thing left for them to do is to try and trade for one of Anaheim's young goalies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being a Flyers fan must be pretty frustrating. On the one hand, over the past ten or so years, they've drafted very well and have made some absolute steals of trades. It's just a few boneheaded moves that have managed to derail the whole thing. I mean, Lou and Conte have had some pretty bad luck drafting over the same period of time, and some questionable free agent signings. But essentially the Schneider deal makes up for a lot of that (and yes, feel free to pull out my fools gold posts from the beginning of last year).

Fortunately for them, and unfortunately for us, Hextall does seem to have a long term plan in building up their defense in the draft and not rushing things. Perhaps the one thing left for them to do is to try and trade for one of Anaheim's young goalies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not stick with Mason?

Habs place Semin on waivers.. does this guy have anything left?

If he still has that shot from his days on the Caps.. might be worth a look?

Seems like his career has gone down the Jeff Friesen path...basically a damned-near overnight eroding of skills despite not being old.  After being fairly consistent through 2003 (though always a bit of a headcase) and still pretty young, he was toast by the time he was 30, and in his last two NHL seasons managed just 10 goals and 13 assists in 123 GP.  He never played in the NHL again after that (did get a tryout with the Sharks). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Seems like his career has gone down the Jeff Friesen path...basically a damned-near overnight eroding of skills despite not being old.  After being fairly consistent through 2003 (though always a bit of a headcase) and still pretty young, he was toast by the time he was 30, and in his last two NHL seasons managed just 10 goals and 13 assists in 123 GP.  He never played in the NHL again after that (did get a tryout with the Sharks). 

It's always odd when this happens.  Jeff was one of the main cogs in our 2003 run and then next year he was damned near invisible.  A couple of years later he was finished.  I am glad we got the last best bit out of him before his career went down the toilet.

It's always odd when this happens.  Jeff was one of the main cogs in our 2003 run and then next year he was damned near invisible.  A couple of years later he was finished.  I am glad we got the last best bit out of him before his career went down the toilet.

Yeah, I don't think Lou ever thought Friesen would decline so quickly...I think he made that deal thinking that 2002-03 Friesen would be the same player for at least three more seasons. 

I remember Tri posting about a number of players who broke into the NHL at very young ages (I think Friesen was 19 when he made his debut) who declined much earlier than players of the same age who came up later.  Lecavalier is another example...after his age 33 year he's been a shadow of himself. 

Yeah, I don't think Lou ever thought Friesen would decline so quickly...I think he made that deal thinking that 2002-03 Friesen would be the same player for at least three more seasons. 

I remember Tri posting about a number of players who broke into the NHL at very young ages (I think Friesen was 19 when he made his debut) who declined much earlier than players of the same age who came up later.  Lecavalier is another example...after his age 33 year he's been a shadow of himself. 

Yeah it is a lot of mileage on these players bodies.  Vinny played in 870ish games by the end of the season he turned 30.  Friesen played in 750ish games by the same point too.  Kovy played in about 800 games by his 30th as well.

I haven't been following the Flyers too much this year, but he seems so inconsistent from one game to the next. And from what I can tell on the surface, Neuvirth is having a great year in the limited games he's played in.

Mason is a good goalie that just can't get out of his own way with injuries.  Be it the coach throwing him in too early (last year Berube said Mason wouldn't play back from his second major injury right away and pulled Emery the first game back and got Mason injured for the third time because of this) or just generally having tiny nicks that affect him more than it should.  Personally, I don't see them trading for the Ducks goalies just because no one in Philly is talking about it that much and it is that Hextall is committed to the long term build.  Their D is young and because of that no one is up yet, which is why they still have McD/Schenn, Gudas, Schultz, etc up.  That team has a chance to be good again but the problem is their D is a year or so behind ours and their forwards will likely be past their prime once they come up.

Yeah it is a lot of mileage on these players bodies.  Vinny played in 870ish games by the end of the season he turned 30.  Friesen played in 750ish games by the same point too.  Kovy played in about 800 games by his 30th as well.

I feel like that is what is happening to Crosby too.  He has not been himself this year and I'd imagine it is because you are going up against men before your body is ready for it when you get into the league so early. 

I haven't been following the Flyers too much this year, but he seems so inconsistent from one game to the next. 

He's a goalie. They are inconsistent. 

He's had a few good seasons, but plenty of terrible ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has a .934 at 5v5 since coming to Philly ~140 games ago. He's comfortably a very good goalie these days. Yes, he was terrible in CBJ but that's sufficiently far removed (3200 shots at 5v5, 4000 overall) from present day. Since coming to Philly, amongst goalies with 4k+ minutes (32 goalies, 29 with 100+ GP), he is fourth in that time span behind only Price, Lundqvist and Rask. 

@TGfireandice: Like old times, Lou Lamoriello and Jacques Lemaire were sitting watching Maple Leafs morning skate together

Lots of Lou stuff ahead from TG today I'm sure.

I am really really REALLY hoping the Devils win today for the simple fact that I don't want to see or hear that segment of fans who are still bitter at our current management/ownership over what they see as us pushing Lou out.