GDT: Thank You Marty. 8pm MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

I can thank my then 6 year old son who wanted to go see a Devils game,that was in 1994. We went to a game against the Islanders which the Devils won. We both really loved being there watching it live that the next season we became STH,what timing to become a Devils fan. Marty was a 25 year old kid when they won the cup for the first time and man what a thrill it was being at those playoff games. I kept my seats (3) for 10 years and couldn't have pick a better time to get on board,3 cups in that time frame...wow.

And today,due to a few health problems I'll be watching from home but my son and his wife will be there cheering on the best goalie to ever lace a pair of skates.Thank you Marty for a lifetime of unbelievable memories.

I will be there tonight.  However, I can't seem to shake the feeling that this night will put to rest my childhood once and for all.  I was lucky enough to grow up through my teen years watching and rooting for guys like Stevens, Jeter, Rivera and Brodeur.  It was a great and long ride watching those guys play, but now it has come to its end.  This is going to be an emotional night.

• Like 1

Caved this morning and bought tickets. Getting to the game looked to be a logistical impossibility prior to this morning.. But the opportunity presented itself and there was no way I was missing this.

Grew up with Marty as one of my heroes. Probably gonna cry tonight.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I will be there tonight.  However, I can't seem to shake the feeling that this night will put to rest my childhood once and for all.  I was lucky enough to grow up through my teen years watching and rooting for guys like Stevens, Jeter, Rivera and Brodeur.  It was a great and long ride watching those guys play, but now it has come to its end.  This is going to be an emotional night.

We, in this area, got lucky. That kind of loyalty and longevity seems now to be a thing entirely of the past. It's the end of that era.

There are almost no "great" long-tenure guys left in any of the major sports, maybe Tom Brady and Kobe Bryant being two of the few last names? I'm probably wrong but no one else really jumps out at me (in the future HOFer caliber of players).

Edited by DJ Eco

It's so packed here. Devils really should have made large quantities of everything. I've never seen the stores like this before 

You're not kidding!  Glad I got here when I did!

Amazing setup on the ice with the large night and replica of his mask with the 30 and pucks. So cool. I'm glad to be in my seats already and don't have to stress about getting here on time. Can't wait. 

Yeah glad to be sitting in my seat and waiting.  It's madness out there.  Parking is going to be a real bitch for a lot of fans tonight.  

• Like 1

The arena is already filling up. I haven't made it to a game since Marty's last one as a Devil because I changed jobs. I thought for sure I wouldn't make this one but an awesome co-worker gave me a ticket. 

When I was 12 Marty started his first full season as a Devil and I started playing street hockey just like him. I had to stop playing at 28 when I hurt my back, just to show the kind of longevity he had haha. I'm most likely gonna cry tonight and I'm OK with that!

• Like 1

It looks like everyone who could either take work off of leave work early did. Gonna be interesting to see everyone running from the merch lines to their seats to see the ceremony. 

They also did give out the mini banners plus the special ticket. 

Yeah, the banner is sweet. 

Anybody here watch Marty's very first game?  I did (I was 21)...though my frat (ZBT) didn't have any actual fraternity house (I went to Montclair...there weren't any back in 1992), we had a few houses of 4-7 bros each, where we'd have parties, mixers, events, etc.  I wound up watching that game at one of those houses, with a frat bro who would later become one of my best friends (even though he's a Ranger fan).  I admit that I don't really remember much of the finer details of the game itself...part of that is because we were partaking in some herbal enhancements during the game...and though I have a pretty good memory, another part of it is that it was almost 24 friggin' years ago...and that I didn't anticipate that Marty would win 687 more games as a Devil after that one (hence I didn't immortalize the moment in my mental VCR).

Reason I ask is (and I could be wrong...I definitely can't recall specifics) that I kind of remember the commentators making it sound like Marty was more of this 19-year-old curiosity than the Devils' Goalie of the Future.  I don't remember them touting him or building him up all that much during the broadcast.     

I remember watching the game after getting home from playing a high school baseball game and that Marty was called up from junior because the Devils lost 4 goalies due to injury in about 2 weeks including Terreri, Billington, and the immortal Chad Erickson.  I also remember Gary Thorne previewing the game with Peter McNab on Sport Channel talking how this kid Brodeur was so nervous that he didn't stop a single shot during warm-ups.

• Like 1

Congrats to Brodeur on his special night. He transcended hockey. Marty made the Hudson Rivalry what it was. It hasn't been the same since. 

A tribute to Martin Brodeur. The man who is the Devils. Without him none of the games between our teams would've mattered. Enjoy the festivities. This is your boy's night.

I'm not even able to watch this live. I am having it recorded and I'll be back in Jersey on Thursday to watch it. I can't say anything about Marty any of you haven't. The greatest to ever play, and no ceremony is fitting of his achievements. I can't wait to see the banner live for the first time.