2016 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Don't think NJ should add any rental-types unless it's a Steve Sullivan "Why not?"-type move. 

All for dealing for a piece that could help well beyond this season, or moving Stempniak and Schelmko types, as long as they're not being given away.  Gelinas' value has to be in the crapper, but I'm not sure what he can really do to raise it.  I think the Devils can't give him away just yet, and have to give him through about the middle of next season to see if he can figure it out (obviously have my doubts about that, and if he's to be part of package that brings in a worthwhile player, so be it). 

I would set the price high on both Stempniak and Schlemko and stick to it.  With only two games before the deadline, the Devils will almost certainly be in the playoff picture, and you can't go trading players like that for even late second round picks, which the majority of the time do not turn into anything useful.  So either what would at worst be a high second round pick (don't know if there are any playoff teams that acquired second rounders from bad teams), but really either something in the late first round or a good prospect.  If no one goes for it, then so be it. 

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, Cordell tweeted an interesting idea of trading Stempniak/Schlemko for Marko Dano.  A plausible idea, but I can't see Chicago going for it.

We pretty much have to and can set the price high on Stemp and Schlemko as they're some of our only assets. It's largely a seller's market. Look at what Toronto got for Spaling and Polak (Good ole Lou lol). Stempniak is our leading scorer, and while he probably wouldn't fetch what the Jets would get for Ladd, the fact his contract is literally nothing and he's had a good season means his cost is probably never going to be higher.

I'm a little iffy on even considering trading Schlemko. While he is 28, he's fit in so well over the last few months that I'd really like to see him return. 

I think the best way to move Gelinas is move him for a young player who's in a similar situation on another team. Gelinas is obviously talented, but he's stagnated so bad the last 2 seasons that it may just be a case of needing a fresh start somewhere.

Just now, thecoffeecake said:

I would sh!t my pants if that happened.

The superficial stats tell you that Dano has either regressed or that his first season in Columbus was a fluke.  That's what makes it plausible.  The fact that he was the centerpiece of the Saad trade makes it look bad to trade him for a rental. 

13 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I would be very disappointed if we traded Schlemko. I think he's been a fantastic defenseman for us, and want to see him in a Devils sweater for a few years. It's not exactly like the Devils have a line of NHL-ready defenseman waiting to replace him. 

In fact, I'd argue that a trade of Schlemko would put the team in just as much, if not more trouble than trading Stempniak. If you trade him, you're saying that you're okay playing Gelinas or Helgeson another 20 games, and that's banking on no more injuries. Yeesh.

any moves that Shero makes has to be for the long run, though. The only way I will be disappointed at this trade deadline is if we get a small return for one of the aforementioned players, or we trade an asset for a rental. 

Yeah, 100% this.  Don't understand at all why so man people think he's disposable or should be traded.  He could possibly net 25 points for us this year, and so far he's played in 53 of our 61 games, and the ones he missed were usually because he was scratched, not because he was hurt.  At just 28, it's reasonable to assume he could notch 30 points or so next year and a few years ago come.  I'll take that all day long.

Beyond that, I'm also not really in favor of trading Stempniak, though I wouldn't be totally against it for the right price.  The guy still has 2-3 more good years left if he sticks with us and we surround him with similar talent that we have this year.  Depending on what else we draft in that time, he could be a valuable mentor and veteran as he descends into the twilight of his career.

Edited by NJDfan1711

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I would set the price high on both Stempniak and Schlemko and stick to it.  With only two games before the deadline, the Devils will almost certainly be in the playoff picture, and you can't go trading players like that for even late second round picks, which the majority of the time do not turn into anything useful.  So either what would at worst be a high second round pick (don't know if there are any playoff teams that acquired second rounders from bad teams), but really either something in the late first round or a good prospect.  If no one goes for it, then so be it. 

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, Cordell tweeted an interesting idea of trading Stempniak/Schlemko for Marko Dano.  A plausible idea, but I can't see Chicago going for it.

Re:  the Devils and the playoff picture, I need to see exactly where they are after those two games.  So much points to them faltering and falling out of this thing...the schedule, the fact that they often need Schneider to be superhuman to win, etc.  I'll take my chances with the second-round pick and hope Shero can package it for something else (like he did in trading a 2nd-rounder and 3rd-rounder for Palmieri). 

Said it previously, but it looks more like Cam is going be the pseudo deadline acquisition...assuming he actually does play again this year.

Re:  Schlemko...keep in mind that with every new game he plays in this season, he adds to his own personal high of NHL games played in one season.  He's missed a lot of games in the past.  He'll probably never be as cost-effective as he's been this year.  Gotta at least explore what teams might be willing to give up.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

16 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I would be very disappointed if we traded Schlemko. I think he's been a fantastic defenseman for us, and want to see him in a Devils sweater for a few years. It's not exactly like the Devils have a line of NHL-ready defenseman waiting to replace him. 

In fact, I'd argue that a trade of Schlemko would put the team in just as much, if not more trouble than trading Stempniak. If you trade him, you're saying that you're okay playing Gelinas or Helgeson another 20 games, and that's banking on no more injuries. Yeesh.

any moves that Shero makes has to be for the long run, though. The only way I will be disappointed at this trade deadline is if we get a small return for one of the aforementioned players, or we trade an asset for a rental. 

My guess is that Schlemko won't be traded unless there's a too good to be true offer made for him. 

Relatedly, I was on vacation last week, and ran into someone who said he was Jon Merrill's uncle.  (I was wearing my Schneider t-shirt and he mentioned it).  We spoke for a few minutes, and among other things, he mentioned how Merrill's best friend on the team is Schlemko and that the rest of the team really likes him as well.   I imagine stuff like that filters up to the front office, and is worth something so far as the desire to extend his contract.  The fact that apparently he's built up a good rapport with the rest of the team might suggest he'd be willing to sign with the Devils in the offseason even if he's traded at the deadline.  But who knows.

Like others have said, set the price high, stick with it, and wait it out.

It's really not the worst thing ever if we enter 3:01PM on Monday with our lineup left intact. And if we sucker someone desperate into a big return, even better. Don't think there many scenarios where we can come out as the loser.

Edited by DJ Eco

am i missing something re: schlemko? he's a UFA. there's nothing that says he's signing here even if we don't trade him.

you can trade him and sign him again in the offseason should you choose (see antoine vermette).

I would want a second each for him and stempniak. if the devils don't take 4 points from the next two games, absolutely do this. if they get the 4 points, I could understand holding to see if they make a miraculous playoff run.

i thought about both + a 2nd for drouin. I have been told that's not enough but i think it absolutely gets the discussion going.

5 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

What about Ruutu? Any chance he still holds some value?

Doubtful.  A low round pick at best.  Carolina is still laughing about that one...they had to love getting that contract off their books. 

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I would sh!t my pants if that happened.

Dano looked really good at the end of last year in Columbus.  I don't want to part with either Stempniak or Schlemko for just late 2nds or 3rds, but if they can be used in trades that bring back guys like Dano, Rychel or Drouin, I think you have to move them.  

Edit; Nevermind Rychel, I can't see a reason why Columbus would be looking at trading a young guy for either Stempniak or Schlemko or both given the way their season has gone.     

Edited by Lateralous

28 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

You know it's funny - I so desperately wanted Lou to embrace the tank and gut Devils teams of previous years, and he never truly did.

Now he's in Toronto essentially doing just that.

While there were times that I wish he would have thought a little more about the future, I'm glad he didn't go scorched earth here.   When you rip it all the way down, it's a lot harder to get back to the top or even respectability than a lot of people seem to remember.  For every Chicago and LA, there were a lot of teams that bottomed out for nearly a decade.     

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Gelinas has actually been very good this year.  Now I'm not saying we should trade Schlemko, but if Gelinas is in the lineup full time, it's only a good thing.  Despite the mistakes he makes, he's overall not bad defensively, and brings far more good than he does bad.

Merrill on the other hand has been bad.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

You know it's funny - I so desperately wanted Lou to embrace the tank and gut Devils teams of previous years, and he never truly did.

Now he's in Toronto essentially doing just that.

That's because both teams are in different situations.  Devils have never been in a position where they need to be in a full rebuild mode.  The Leafs were.

4 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I can't tell if you're the boards all-time biggest troll. Some days I think you're serious and just very, uh, different. Other days I think you're trolling on levels even WDA couldn't reach. 

If you genuinely think Eric Gelinas isn't one of the worst defenseman in the NHL, let alone on the Devils, then I'm a Saudi Prince and I could really use your help rescuing my sister from a hostage situation.

The eye test is enough to show me that Gelinas hasn't been bad.  The analytics only confirm it.

27 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Kay

NOTE: All the bolded names are the guys who have above 50% O-Zone starts.

Corsi Differential

1. Gelinas: +30
  2. Schlemko: -25
  3. Helgeson: -29
  4. Sevorson: -44
  5. Merrill: -65
  6. Larsson: -140
  7. Moore: -162
  8. Greene: -198

CF%Rel

1. Gelinas: 7.11
  2. Schlemko: 3.66
  3. Sevorson: 2.17
  4. Merrill: -0.06
  5. Helgeson: -1.22
  6. Larsson: -1.46
  7. Moore: -3.77
  8. Greene: -4.31

Fenwick Differential

1. Gelinas: +26
  2. Helgeson: -11
  3. Schlemko: -13
  4. Sevorson: -27
  5. Merrill: -45
  6. Larsson: -72
  7. Greene: -109
  8. Moore: -113

Shot Differential

1. Gelinas: +22
  2. Schlemko: -4
  3. Helgeson: -16
  4. Merrill: -33
  5. Severson: -44
  6. Larsson: -52
  7. Greene: -70
  8. Moore: -92

As you can see, Gelinas doesn't just simply lead our defensemen in these metrics, he BLOWS THEM AWAY!  And you can't just point to O-Zone starts either.  Merrill has a 60% O-Zone start%, and isn't even close to being in the positive in any of these categories.  Gelinas actually takes his O-Zone starts and takes advantage of them.

Edited by Mike Brown

25 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

NOTE: All the bolded names are the guys who have above 50% O-Zone starts.

Corsi Differential

1. Gelinas: +30
  2. Schlemko: -25
  3. Helgeson: -29
  4. Sevorson: -44
  5. Merrill: -65
  6. Larsson: -140
  7. Moore: -162
  8. Greene: -198

CF%Rel

1. Gelinas: 7.11
  2. Schlemko: 3.66
  3. Sevorson: 2.17
  4. Merrill: -0.06
  5. Helgeson: -1.22
  6. Larsson: -1.46
  7. Moore: -3.77
  8. Greene: -4.31

Fenwick Differential

1. Gelinas: +26
  2. Helgeson: -11
  3. Schlemko: -13
  4. Sevorson: -27
  5. Merrill: -45
  6. Larsson: -72
  7. Greene: -109
  8. Moore: -113

Shot Differential

1. Gelinas: +22
  2. Schlemko: -4
  3. Helgeson: -16
  4. Merrill: -33
  5. Severson: -44
  6. Larsson: -52
  7. Greene: -70
  8. Moore: -92

As you can see, Gelinas doesn't just simply lead our defensemen in these metrics, he BLOWS THEM AWAY!  And you can't just point to O-Zone starts either.  Merrill has a 60% O-Zone start%, and isn't even close to being in the positive in any of these categories.  Gelinas actually takes his O-Zone starts and takes advantage of them.

Clearly a Norris Trophy winner for sure.....Yeah........ he's so good he was sat the last few games  (thank god)