Devils trade Paul Thompson and Graham Black to Florida for 2018 second rounder and Marc Savard

MadDog2020

Love this trade for two main reasons:

1) Who doesn't love free draft picks 

2) Shows the owners are willing to spend money to make the team better. I'm under the impression of course that Savard is still owed his $$ even though he's LTIR'd. Though, I suppose it might be covered by insurance...

Regardless, solid move by Shero. Love it.

13 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Love this trade for two main reasons:

1) Who doesn't love free draft picks 

2) Shows the owners are willing to spend money to make the team better. I'm under the impression of course that Savard is still owed his $$ even though he's LTIR'd. Though, I suppose it might be covered by insurance...

Regardless, solid move by Shero. Love it.

he is only being paid $575k - doesn't matter if it's insurance or not. The Devils bought a draft pick for $575k. it affects absolutely nothing else including whoever the devils want to sign other than it affects their summer cap. Should the devils desire to spend to the cap on actual players, then this goes to LTIR. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure why FL was in such a hurry to dump the contract.

8 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure why FL was in such a hurry to dump the contract.

Seems like they're gearing up for something big.  Steal Stamkos from Tampa?  That would set up one hell of a hockey rivalry in the state of Florida for the next few seasons.   

Edited by Lateralous

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

Savards contract can be ltir'd. Only matters over the summer. 

Not if you have lots of players on bonus laden contracts like Jagr and Ekblad -however much cash you put on LTIR will basically come back in cap overages the next season

Nice deal, another smart move by Shero. I only wish the pick was a bit sooner but it can maybe be used in a package for a more immediate upgrade.

6 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

2) Shows the owners are willing to spend money to make the team better. 

Agreed.

Nothing not to like about this.  Didn't realize how long it's been for Savard already.  His last game was 1/22/2011.