Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

I was surprised Hunter Shinkaruk (sp?) wasn't plucked off waivers from Calgary by someone. Former 1st rounder that was a good Jr. just won't translate into the pro's. Lou/Conte liked drafting role players (Matteau) happy to see Castron doesn't waste a pick on these types. There's always fringe 7-12 proven role players out there.

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I was surprised Hunter Shinkaruk (sp?) wasn't plucked off waivers from Calgary by someone. Former 1st rounder that was a good Jr. just won't translate into the pro's. Lou/Conte liked drafting role players (Matteau) happy to see Castron doesn't waste a pick on these types. There's always fringe 7-12 proven role players out there.

He's even been a pretty good AHLer, I think there's something there, surprised as well no one scooped him up.

To take someone on waivers you have to like that player more than you like your own guys.  Most teams have someone like Shinkaruk hanging around.  I would've been more surprised if anyone took him, but that generally goes for anyone on waivers - teams find reasons to pass on guys even if they have a need.

That was obviously an interesting draft for the Devils, considering we ended up not picking in the first round (and for good reason). I seem to remember Shinkaruk's name being thrown around regularly on this board before that draft though. I think most people had him much higher than #24, at least initially. 

1 hour ago, NLinfante said:

That was obviously an interesting draft for the Devils, considering we ended up not picking in the first round (and for good reason). I seem to remember Shinkaruk's name being thrown around regularly on this board before that draft though. I think most people had him much higher than #24, at least initially. 

Honestly, I remember so much of that draft being made out to be "the best draft since 2003," but it definitely hasn't turned out that way, there's been a bunch of guys out of the 1st and 2nd rounds who thus far have not come as advertised. And then in comparison, everyone trumpeted 2014 as a weak draft and there have been a multitude of very good players that have come out of that draft thus far, which is why I put no stock in the "experts" like Pierre McGuire calling 2017 a terrible draft. Every class develops differently, and I think that draft is a shining example of that.

41 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Honestly, I remember so much of that draft being made out to be "the best draft since 2003," but it definitely hasn't turned out that way, there's been a bunch of guys out of the 1st and 2nd rounds who thus far have not come as advertised. And then in comparison, everyone trumpeted 2014 as a weak draft and there have been a multitude of very good players that have come out of that draft thus far, which is why I put no stock in the "experts" like Pierre McGuire calling 2017 a terrible draft. Every class develops differently, and I think that draft is a shining example of that.

Yeah, it does seem a little silly to make predictions about an entire draft, or even just how well everyone drafted in the first two rounds will shake out compared to others.  I mean, it's fair enough to say, and easy enough to predict how the top three or five picks will pan out compared to others.  Usually those guesses turn out to be pretty accurate. 

Here's a question, did people really think at the time that the 2003 draft was actually going to be as good as it turned out to be?  And what's kind of funny about that draft is that as of now, there's maybe one sure fire hall of famer in my mind, Patrice Bergeron.  And maybe Shea Weber if he ever wins a Cup or gets close to it (just based on his reputation and the fact that he'd be doing it for Montreal).  A lot of guys who would be bordeline though, which is a great accomplishment in its own right.

On 9/29/2017 at 1:20 PM, LittleBallofHate said:

So Greg Wyshynski is leaving Puck Daddy - I'm wondering if he's going to be the guy tapped to cover the Devils for the Athletic? 

http://gregwyshynski.com/2017/09/29/farewell-puck-daddy/

A little birdie told me where he’s going.  Let’s just say he completely sold his soul.  You’ll agree with me when you find out.  

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

A little birdie told me where he’s going.  Let’s just say he completely sold his soul.  You’ll agree with me when you find out.  

He's going to ESPN as they pretend to give a fvck about hockey. He'll be hidden behind their sh!tty paywall and get zero exposure.

Absolute madness going on in Vegas tonight on the strip. Multiple deaths from a mass shooting at a concert. The Vegas team was home tonight as well and it was right near where this happened. I saw multiple videos and it's just terrible. Ugh.

Police confirmed 20+ dead and 100+ injured. Just terrible. 

It should have been a fun week coming up in Vegas with their first team and now it's nothing but sadness this week. Hopefully all the injured survive and make quick recoveries. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Absolute madness going on in Vegas tonight on the strip. Multiple deaths from a mass shooting at a concert. The Vegas team was home tonight as well and it was right near where this happened. I saw multiple videos and it's just terrible. Ugh.

Police confirmed 20+ dead and 100+ injured. Just terrible. 

It should have been a fun week coming up in Vegas with their first team and now it's nothing but sadness this week. Hopefully all the injured survive and make quick recoveries. 

its horrible. those numbers have atleast doubled by now. they are saying 50 plus deceased and 200 plus injured and I'm hearing now that isis is taking responsibility for it, that those people converted to islam. 

its horrible. those numbers have atleast doubled by now. they are saying 50 plus deceased and 200 plus injured and I'm hearing now that isis is taking responsibility for it, that those people converted to islam. 

It was a 64 year old man. He had 10+ full Auto rifles in the hotel room. Where did you hear it was ISIS related? The morning news kept that part tongue in cheek.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

It was a 64 year old man. He had 10+ full Auto rifles in the hotel room. Where did you hear it was ISIS related? The morning news kept that part tongue in cheek.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

I'm watching Fox News, they said that isis were making claims that they were responsible for it that these people had converted to islam. How accurate that is obviously I can't say but that was the last bit that I had heard and they were searching further into it

Edited by 2ELIAS6

8 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Guys, there's a politics/news section here for a reason. 

In NHL news, Jagr is going to Calgary so we get another year of him! He's still a good player and I wouldnt be shocked if he hits 45-50 points.

Glad he got signed. 

On 9/29/2017 at 6:59 AM, vadvlfan said:

I remember Nucks fans thinking this kid was the next coming of Zach Parise.  Goes to show you nothing is guaranteed. 

23 hours ago, jagknife said:

Dave Strader has lost his battle with cancer at age 62.

I loved the way he called the game and his passion for it. I thought he was getting better since he was back in the Stars booth before the season ended. Condolences.

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-broadcaster-strader-dies-at-62-1.872234

Wow I didn't recognize the name, but I clearly recognize the voice.  That's really sad, I mean it's sad beyond hockey obviously, but I definitely thought he was one of the better PBP guys out there.

RIP

Edited by Devilsfan118