Radio legend Sherry Ross Fired

mikemarc1

Gotta say I'm pretty pleased about this.

She drove me nuts at first, but over time I think she grew into the role... to a functional level.  

Dano to radio, bring a new PBP guy in for Steve.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I'm not familiar with any of those names, but what does an equipment guy have to do to get fired? lol

Feel like that would be a pretty easy job. "Here's your stick and gloves, Mr. Henrique".  I mean, do they make recommendations to the players on types of curves, helmets, knee pads, to use?  Feel like that would be more of a personal preference type thing per each player.

Always thought that she somehow sounded awkward a lot of the time...but yeah, like DF118 posted, she was functional. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Stupid. But the worst radio PBP man on the planet keeps his job? Bullsh!t. Loughlin should be the one moved out of that booth, he's horrendous.

Loughlin is atrocious. Such a poor job describing anything that's going on. Always behind the play. I mean there are times where I am listening and I can literally hear on the radio play going on, then a groan of the crowd, then the song we play when we get scored on...and finally "Puck is centered out and a shot and a goal...one nothing Columbus"

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I liked Sherry a lot, actually.  Although I could do without her political stuff on twitter. 

This is what I think may have contributed to her firing. She had #theresistance on her twitter bio and she was liking/retweeting countless anti-Trump articles and tweets. I wonder if the team didnt want one of their prominent employees spouting off political content?

10 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

This is what I think may have contributed to her firing. She had #theresistance on her twitter bio and she was liking/retweeting countless anti-Trump articles and tweets. I wonder if the team didnt want one of their prominent employees spouting off political content?

It's possible but it's also possible that she could have been too critical of the team and they want a homer, or her contract ran out and they just wanted to bring in their own person.

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's possible but it's also possible that she could have been too critical of the team and they want a homer, or her contract ran out and they just wanted to bring in their own person.

Meh, I dont think she's been super critical of the team. I mean, she certainly isn't as much of a cheerleader as Dano is, but she's usually positive.

One saving grace could be that they could push Dano to radio and get a better guy along side Cangi. Some nights, Steve and Dano are legitimately unlistenable. A more astute analyst with a better voice would help a lot.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Was part of a broader shake-up, so I sort of doubt it had anything to do with it.  If she were doing political commentary during games, that probably would have resulted in immediate dismissal.

As for replacement for either her or our play-by-play guys, I wish Harris would open up the checkbook and somehow get Don LaGreca to do either radio or television.  The perfect offseason scenario would be for Vegas to claim Lovejoy and use those salary savings to get LaGreca. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm not familiar with any of those names, but what does an equipment guy have to do to get fired? lol

Feel like that would be a pretty easy job. "Here's your stick and gloves, Mr. Henrique".  I mean, do they make recommendations to the players on types of curves, helmets, knee pads, to use?  Feel like that would be more of a personal preference type thing per each player.

It's beyond that.  They set up the dressing room before and after the games.  When the team goes on the road, they have to bag up everything and are responsible to taking it to and from the airport to the arena.  If they are the visitors, they have to unload the equipment and check and make sure everything is good to go.  That includes sharpening skates (they bring a portable sharpener with them as well as a workbench) making sure all the sticks and other gear is useful.  They also repair the skates, gloves and even stitch up the jerseys when holes form (no, they don't use a new jersey every game).  They are usually there hours before the players arrive and are usually the last ones to leave.

So yeah, it's beyond simply handing Henrique his gloves.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrBreeze said:

I wish nothing but the best for the Devils players and coaches. But keep an eye on eBay for lots of NJD merchandise on sale soon! - Sherry Ross

Guess she means the equipment manager 

That or she's declaring in a bitter, passive aggressive fashion that she will no longer be a fan of the team.

7 minutes ago, MrBreeze said:

I wish nothing but the best for the Devils players and coaches. But keep an eye on eBay for lots of NJD merchandise on sale soon! - Sherry Ross

Guess she means the equipment manager 

Sherry sells stuff on eBay.  She usually sells Devils knick-knacks or home goods type stuff or horse-related items.  She sometimes sells Devils stuff for charity but largely it's stuff like signed bobbleheads and the like.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's beyond that.  They set up the dressing room before and after the games.  When the team goes on the road, they have to bag up everything and are responsible to taking it to and from the airport to the arena.  If they are the visitors, they have to unload the equipment and check and make sure everything is good to go.  That includes sharpening skates (they bring a portable sharpener with them as well as a workbench) making sure all the sticks and other gear is useful.  They also repair the skates, gloves and even stitch up the jerseys when holes form (no, they don't use a new jersey every game).  They are usually there hours before the players arrive and are usually the last ones to leave.

So yeah, it's beyond simply handing Henrique his gloves.

True, I forgot about unloading and loading the bags from the buses - I used to watch the guys do that all the time as a kid.   Didn't realize they also repaired the jerseys though.  I'm sure that's somewhat infrequent, but still, pretty neat I guess.  Would've thought that was more of a manufacturer thing, but I guess it depends on how big of a rip.

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True, I forgot about unloading and loading the bags from the buses - I used to watch the guys do that all the time as a kid.   Didn't realize they also repaired the jerseys though.  I'm sure that's somewhat infrequent, but still, pretty neat I guess.  Would've thought that was more of a manufacturer thing, but I guess it depends on how big of a rip.

Reebok/Adidas doesn't have people in every arena to fix/repair jerseys, especially on the road.  The equipment managers do and the rips/repairs happen more often than you think.  Below is an example of a Zubrus game worn from a few years back with multiple repairs done by Rich Matthews and his people on the sleeves.  Another cool part about it is that one of the ways to tell if a gamer is legit or not is how the repairs are done and if they are consistent to the era.  Different equipment managers had different ways of repairing with various quality.  Rich was actually one of the better ones IMO at repairs.

22529483541_b2ac208eb1_c.jpg

22529483801_b81f3eaffb_c.jpg

OK, I really DON"T listen to too many games on the radio, if at all, but Matt & Sherry are such nice people. They ALWAYS engage in conversation, and are so polite and professional.  My wife and I saw Sherry at the game they had the museum & Cup on display.  I just wanted to say hello, and she stopped and talked to us like friends, for nearly 10 mins. I really wish her well.