2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

Cmon Boston, pick it up, Canadiens Pens tied at 3.

Bruins on a PP, hope they score.

Panthers supposedly 22-0-0 after leading in the 3rd period. hope Bruins break that. 2nd period over, Bruins still down 3-0.

Edited by Anhkheg

If I were one of the many Devils fans still in Vegas right now, I'd put my life's savings on CBJ-PHI going to OT. That's just how everything is going to go between now and the playoffs. Like pulling teeth hoping for anything to possibly go our way; it's just not gonna happen.

Edit: Phew, that's why I don't gamble, I guess.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

If I were one of the many Devils fans still in Vegas right now, I'd put my life savings on CBJ-PHI going to OT. That's just how everything is going to go between now and the playoffs. Like pulling teeth hoping for anything to possibly go our way; it's just not gonna happen.

Guess you would have lost your life savings. :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I went into this CBJ-PHI with a win/win mentality for the Devils, so long as it didn't reach OT. 

If PHI won, at least that keeps CBJ down for another game.

If CBJ won, it's a very real sign that the Flyers are slipping and it's now officially a 4-horse race for 3 spots. They're not playing very well at all.

I watched a few games while they were flying high on their way to the top of the standings, and all the bounces were going their way; literally, I think they scored a couple goals because it hit a stanchion and bounced right in front of the empty net as the goalie went to get it. Own goals, lucky power plays, lucky goals; I was watching the Flyers and blown away at some of the bounces they were getting. Not anymore, I guess! They might be the team to eliminate...

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

TEAMS - GP - PTS - GR - MAX - DIFF
3)PHI - 71 -  81 - 11 - 103 - (-1)
4)CBJ - 71 -  81 - 11 - 103 - (-1)
2)NJD - 70 -  80 - 12 - 104 -  (E)
1)FLA - 68 -  77 - 14 - 105 - (+1)
Assuming Panthers win tonight,
Currently the Panthers are actually on top as they have the potential to get the highest points.
Edited by Anhkheg

1 hour ago, Anhkheg said:
TEAMS - GP - PTS - GR - MAX - DIFF
3)PHI - 71 -  81 - 11 - 103 - (-1)
4)CBJ - 71 -  81 - 11 - 103 - (-1)
2)NJD - 70 -  80 - 12 - 104 -  (E)
1)FLA - 68 -  77 - 14 - 105 - (+1)
Assuming Panthers win tonight,
Currently the Panthers are actually on top as they have the potential to get the highest points.

so basically if we win all our remaining games we should make the playoffs...

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Calling Philly one of the better teams in the league is quite generous. 

Especially while they're in a March death spiral.  Honestly I think it's far more likely we get ahead of them than Columbus now.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

56 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

so basically if we win all our remaining games we should make the playoffs...

Yes, at this point Panthers have the best points per game and are playing at peak. We are up against Flyers and Blue Jackets. Unless Panthers go into a major slump, I don't see them missing the playoffs, Bruins looked quite mediocre vs Panthers today.

Well we won't win all our remaining games unless the team's found a way to walk on water...you can't really look at 'controlling your own destiny' till like five games left,  it's a bit of a misnomer considering you can't really expect a 14-games winning streak at this point.

Looking at the Islanders just completely ending their season on a whimper (10-17-6 in their last 33 GP, 1-5-4 in their last 10), and Tavares about to become a UFA...can't help but wonder just a little if Shero kicks the tires on him, even with Nico here.  JT hasn't exactly been Hall-ing it up down the stretch...he's really tailed off offensively (just 10 goals and 10 assists in his last 32 GP, and a -12 to boot), but that probably won't reduce his value much on the open market, if at all.  He's been pretty consistent since his second year:  552 points in 575 games...he averages 35 goals and 44 assists per 82 games...and man, the idea of JT and Hall playing on a line together...and the Devils' center depth...goddamn...of course, all of this becomes moot if JT just chooses to stay with the Isles, but this will be two years in a row that the Islanders miss the playoffs, and they have some serious holes to fill.  I think he could very well stay, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him at least test the market first.   

I guess the $1000000 question would be how many big contracts would you want on the books?  JT and Hall (two years left) on big long-term contracts would eat up a big chunk of cap space.  There will be RFAs to pay as well (Nico, Bratt, Butch, etc).  Just food for thought. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

If we have the opportunity to add JT for nothing more than cap space, I think you have to jump at it.  I don't think you ever really get yourself in cap trouble by paying players of his level, it's usually the overpayment of other guys further down the lineup that screws teams up.     

9 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

Yes, at this point Panthers have the best points per game and are playing at peak. We are up against Flyers and Blue Jackets. Unless Panthers go into a major slump, I don't see them missing the playoffs, Bruins looked quite mediocre vs Panthers today.

Probably because they had no Chara, no Bergeron, no DeBrusk, no McAvoy, and had Backes get ejected after only 5 mins of TOI. Still fired 46 SOG... hopefully they'll get em' next time

• Like 1

Looking at the Islanders just completely ending their season on a whimper (10-17-6 in their last 33 GP, 1-5-4 in their last 10), and Tavares about to become a UFA...can't help but wonder just a little if Shero kicks the tires on him, even with Nico here.  JT hasn't exactly been Hall-ing it up down the stretch...he's really tailed off offensively (just 10 goals and 10 assists in his last 32 GP, and a -12 to boot), but that probably won't reduce his value much on the open market, if at all.  He's been pretty consistent since his second year:  552 points in 575 games...he averages 35 goals and 44 assists per 82 games...and man, the idea of JT and Hall playing on a line together...and the Devils' center depth...goddamn...of course, all of this becomes moot if JT just chooses to stay with the Isles, but this will be two years in a row that the Islanders miss the playoffs, and they have some serious holes to fill.  I think he could very well stay, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him at least test the market first.   
I guess the $1000000 question would be how many big contracts would you want on the books?  JT and Hall (two years left) on big long-term contracts would eat up a big chunk of cap space.  There will be RFAs to pay as well (Nico, Bratt, Butch, etc).  Just food for thought. 

Shero can kick the tires, but it isn't gonna happen. Tavares will stay with his current dumpster fire, or he'll go to the other dumpster fire in Midtown, or the dumpster fire in Montreal. Any way you slice it, Tavares will be dumpster firing it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Shero can kick the tires, but it isn't gonna happen. Tavares will stay with his current dumpster fire, or he'll go to the other dumpster fire in Midtown, or the dumpster fire in Montreal. Any way you slice it, Tavares will be dumpster firing it up.

Ordinarily I wouldn't even consider the possibility, but Shero is a different beast...I think if he believes the right guy is out there, he'll spend to get him.  It won't be for lack of effort.  And he's got plenty to sell JT on.  You are right, he could very well just stay put or go to a "sexier" destination...but who knows, maybe he and his agent are actually a little willing to think outside the box.

• Like 1

For the foreseeable future, i.e. until the current CBA expires, the Devils can probably give out one massive contract to someone outside of the organization, whether acquired as a UFA or through a trade and extension.

The Devils do have a few selling points to Tavares.  They can offer him as good an AAV as anyone, he has an opportunity to center a line with Hall, the Devils should be good, and there won’t be the media attention he’d get in Toronto or Montreal.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

For the foreseeable future, i.e. until the current CBA expires, the Devils can probably give out one massive contract to someone outside of the organization, whether acquired as a UFA or through a trade and extension.

The Devils do have a few selling points to Tavares.  They can offer him as good an AAV as anyone, he has an opportunity to center a line with Hall, the Devils should be good, and there won’t be the media attention he’d get in Toronto or Montreal.  

The bolded...and Shero's aggression.  One selling point is that the Devils wouldn't be asking him to be the first piece...there's pieces already here.  That's why I think this at least gets explored...doesn't mean that it happens, just that it has more of a chance than it would in a lot of other seasons...IF JT ever makes it to UFA. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Ordinarily I wouldn't even consider the possibility, but Shero is a different beast...I think if he believes the right guy is out there, he'll spend to get him.  It won't be for lack of effort.  And he's got plenty to sell JT on.  You are right, he could very well just stay put or go to a "sexier" destination...but who knows, maybe he and his agent are actually a little willing to think outside the box.

I doubt it. These idiots never think outside the box. If he doesn't stay with the Islanders, he'll get stars in his eyes and go to the Rags, Habs, or Leafs. I'd be shocked if anything else happened. But I hope Shero at least picks up the phone, can't hurt to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk