2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

I remember walking out of Prudential Center after that game and it was dead silent, I remember all I could hear was just everyone's footsteps with not a single person talking about what just happened. Such an eerie feeling, and I'm always gonna hate Carolina because of that game, I don't think there had ever been a greater pit in my stomach after a loss than that game.

2 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I remember walking out of Prudential Center after that game and it was dead silent, I remember all I could hear was just everyone's footsteps with not a single person talking about what just happened. Such an eerie feeling, and I'm always gonna hate Carolina because of that game, I don't think there had ever been a greater pit in my stomach after a loss than that game.

I've left pissed after a number of Devils games though the years...but that one just had me zombified.  How?  What?  Why?  I just kind of shuffled to my car.  I don't remember the drive home at all. 

I don’t really get the Carolina hate.  They beat us fair and square in those two series, and we dismantled them ourselves in 2001.  And as an organization they don’t irritatingly pretend to be something they’re not like a certain team that plays across the river from us.

As far as moving, it seems that the NHL wants two things from its teams, stable ownership and state of the art arenas.  So I don’t think Carolina is going anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don’t really get the Carolina hate.  They beat us fair and square in those two series, and we dismantled them ourselves in 2001.  And as an organization they don’t irritatingly pretend to be something they’re not like a certain team that plays across the river from us.

As far as moving, it seems that the NHL wants two things from its teams, stable ownership and state of the art arenas.  So I don’t think Carolina is going anywhere.

For me it's not even so much the organization or fans doing anything low class or scummy that makes me dislike them, it's just that feeling I'll never forget from 2009, easily the worst sports moment I've ever experienced.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I wouldn't quite say we dismantled them in 2001.  Still took us 6 games even after being up 3 games to zero to put them away.

The Rangers and their fans will be what they are.  Carolina on the other hand are bandwagon idiots who suddenly become energized when the team is not in the toilet and there are no NASCAR races or NCAA basketball games going on nearby at the same time.  They are the backwater version of Panthers fans.

I don't seriously think they are moving either but I wouldn't mind another decade or two of misery for that franchise

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I explained why I hate them.  Wasn't even losing to them that did it, as much as their 2005-06 season.  Up to that point I was pretty indifferent to them, even when they beat the Devils in 2001-02 (it sucked losing to them of course, and that Game 6 was pretty rotten in that I knew within five minutes that the Devils just had nothing that day, but that loss didn't really make me hate the 'Canes). 

DM84 just summed up Canes fans pretty well. 

• Like 2

I was in section 230, row 2, seat 7 for Game 7 against Carolina in 2009. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing will ever make me hate a franchise more than that feeling. I punched an (apparently structural) column in the concourse after the game and shattered my wrist. To this day, that Game-7 in 2009 and Fayne's SCF game-2 missed open net are the sickest I've ever felt after a sporting event in my life. 
That being said, I look at the Hurricane's and see a team loaded with blue-chip defensive prospects after being horrible for a decade, and I think they'll fall ass-backwards into success sooner rather than later.

I've told the story before, but I assaulted a garbage can in the men's room after that game. I don't think I've ever been as enraged after a Devils loss in my life. I might've assaulted a Carolina fan had I seen one lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was there for that disaster too.  Yeah that was beyond horrible.  From tasting the second round to a tie game to a loss in what felt like seconds...I was actually too stunned to be angry at first.  And that's twice that I've been to games where Carolina eliminated the Devils.   

I was too stunned at first too, but it didn't take long for the anger to kick in. And when it kicked in, that garbage can almost got kicked over lol.

Besides game 7 2009, the only time I legitimately felt worse walking out of a Devils game was game 6 of the Finals in 2001. I literally felt sick to my stomach after that one.

• Sad 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Besides game 7 2009, the only time I legitimately felt worse walking out of a Devils game was game 6 of the Finals in 2001. I literally felt sick to my stomach after that one.

I went to that game with my Dad.  We went tailgating for about 4-5 hours before the game too with about 5-6 other guys.  We were 100% expecting to be celebrating that cup win that night.  Instead when we were walking out with everyone else I remember it was dead silent.  No one was saying a thing.  We all knew we were not winning game 7 in Colorado.  Series was lost that night in the Meadowlands.

• Sad 1

I went to that game with my Dad.  We went tailgating for about 4-5 hours before the game too with about 5-6 other guys.  We were 100% expecting to be celebrating that cup win that night.  Instead when we were walking out with everyone else I remember it was dead silent.  No one was saying a thing.  We all knew we were not winning game 7 in Colorado.  Series was lost that night in the Meadowlands.

I was there with my mom. Same thing. Tailgated, had a great time, ready to celebrate back-to-back Cups.... And then a swift kick in the balls. And yeah, everyone knew it was over. We all knew there was no way they'd win game 7 in Colorado, and sadly, we were right.

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I've told the story before, but I assaulted a garbage can in the men's room after that game. I don't think I've ever been as enraged after a Devils loss in my life. I might've assaulted a Carolina fan had I seen one lol.

As long as it was regular assault and not sexual, it's all within the normal limits of being a fan. 

• Like 1

As long as it was regular assault and not sexual, it's all within the normal limits of being a fan. 

Yes, all assaults were/would've been normal, punch sh!t until something/someone is bleeding assaults, not sexual. [emoji14]

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was there with my mom. Same thing. Tailgated, had a great time, ready to celebrate back-to-back Cups.... And then a swift kick in the balls. And yeah, everyone knew it was over. We all knew there was no way they'd win game 7 in Colorado, and sadly, we were right.

I thought there was a chance until I saw Marty guess-flop on Tanguay's goal (it made it 2-0 and there was just something about that goal that made it feel like "Yep, they're finished"...Devils had been outscored 6-0 from the start of Game 6 at that point).  It was right then that I thought that the Devils were absolutely toast.  Even when the Devils scored that PPG to make it 3-1 later, I still knew that they weren't coming back that day. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I thought there was a chance until I saw Marty guess-flop on Tanguay's goal (it made it 2-0 and there was just something about that goal that made it feel like "Yep, they're finished"...Devils had been outscored 6-0 from the start of Game 6 at that point).  It was right then that I thought that the Devils were absolutely toast.  Even when the Devils scored that PPG to make it 3-1 later, I still knew that they weren't coming back that day. 

When Colorado scored the first goal, I knew we were done. I was hoping we could get the first goal and get some early momentum, but when that didn't happen, you just knew.

46 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yes, all assaults were/would've been normal, punch sh!t until something/someone is bleeding assaults, not sexual. emoji14.png

All is good then. Personally I don’t even like putting garbage in the trash in the arena, totally grosses me out. But sometimes ya gotta hit something. 

• Like 1

All is good then. Personally I don’t even like putting garbage in the trash in the arena, totally grosses me out. But sometimes ya gotta hit something. 

It was the first inanimate object I could find that wasn't made of something that would shatter my hand lol.

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I wasn't looking when they scored the go-ahead goal. I was typing a sh!t-fit on NJDevs about how we couldn't clear the zone after multiple opportunities. I heard a noise, yelling, the organ and just assumed we took a penalty. And then I saw my little brother was crying. 

Oh god the memories of that game will haunt me until I die. 

Similar.  My brother was playing COD2 at the time and I was watching on a little 13 inch tube-tv.  Needless to say I lost a TV and an xbox controller that night.

2 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

The Carolina game was bad, but there was nothing worse than the feeling I had at the conclusion of Game 6 in the 1994 ECF vs. the Rags.  We were up 3-2 in the series, at home, with a 2-0 lead in the second period when Powder scores a hat trick (that backhand goal off the right wing still haunts me) and we lose the game.  It was a horrible, wretched feeling that I will never forget.  You knew they weren't going to win Game 7 in the Garden, and deep down you also knew that whoever took the ECF was going to win the Stanley Cup that year.  

3 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

The Carolina game was bad, but there was nothing worse than the feeling I had at the conclusion of Game 6 in the 1994 ECF vs. the Rags.  We were up 3-2 in the series, at home, with a 2-0 lead in the second period when Powder scores a hat trick (that backhand goal off the right wing still haunts me) and we lose the game.  It was a horrible, wretched feeling that I will never forget.  You knew they weren't going to win Game 7 in the Garden, and deep down you also knew that whoever took the ECF was going to win the Stanley Cup that year.  

From my faulty memory, I think Driver had a great slapshot to a basically open net to make it 3-0 but it hit Tom Chorske in the ass. I knew that missed opportunity would come back to haunt us. At the time the worst, but game 6 vs the Avs hurts the most for me. Literally lost the cup.

11 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

In 2009 I remember feeling jipped out of that series. Wasn't there a horrifyingly bad non-interference call at the end of game 6 (?) where Brodeur shattered his stick on the boards after the game ended. Devils made some great come-back in that one and the refs stole it away. 

Game 4 actually...and they did come from 3-0 down to tie it

Our sheer number of fluke/last-second losses to the Canes in THREE playoff series combined with their fluke 2006 combined with their hick fans whining about Stevens in 2002 and their diving all over the place in 2006 and 2009 led me to loathe them.  Now they're more or less another team till we play them in the playoffs again.