GDT: Devils @ Rangers 7:00 Garden

Jerzey

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

All three of them were benched. They were all horrendous, and Zacha took an absolutely mindless offensive zone penalty for the second night in a row. Let this be a wake up call that that sh!t isn't acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the accountability...important for a team to try to establish that they have it across the board.  My baseball team sure had no interest in such a concept.  

On another note I'm glad Nico came away with another point at least...probably makes it a little easier for him to take not having scored a goal yet.  It's still early anyway...the Devils are off to a good start from a pure record standpoint, and he's not being asked to carry the team.  The production will come in time.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

What happened to Johansson? Hurt or benched?

I love the way Hynes handles lines. He constantly mixes them up (not necessarily to find chemistry) Jo, Zacha, & Hayes sucked, and didn't see a shift in 3rd, well deserved.  this serves notice to team. I see a couple healthy scratches. To quote a famous youtube video Hynes: "I aint got tiem for that" 

KK said he was very amped for his 1st start, especially against the Rag$. Loved the way he put Nico out there in waning moments, while the Zacha line sat. Maybe that will provide motivation?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I'm loving Hynes holding players accountable. Now that he has a non-atrocious roster he's actually showing something as a HC.

hall is borderline bench worthy with his mindless passes to the competition.. hynes has to be consistent.. but that Dzone drop pass by marcus was traitorous... he should have just shot it into our own net.. hynes wanted intense forchecking and back checking.. not fancy BS

• Like 3

Had an interesting experience with this game - I DVR'd it because I wasn't going to be able to watch it last night, kept away from Twitter etc., only to have Google's stupid notifications tell me the score.  So I had some idea that the Devils won, but just wasn't sure how they did, and I sat down to watch the game with that in mind.

In the first period the team was terrible and so I figured this was a game Kinkaid stole, which he kind of did, but it ended up not to be a 40 shot affair - the Devils offense was pretty putrid but got some kind bounces and managed a win.  There's still a lot of work that needs to be done here - the power play is too easy to defend against, even when the Devils were able to enter the zone easily, the Rangers were able to pressure them and force them into bad decisions.  The penalty kill allows zone entries way too easily and I'm not sure why.  I feel like teams have also watched the first couple games the Devils played and have been able to slow them down since.  At points last night looked too much like last year.

That said, the Devils played a pretty good third period even though their offense was non-existent, they managed to shut down the Rangers pretty well.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

Pitt has 25 goals against? Yikes. Still in 3rd in the metro though.

Did give up a 10 spot to Chicago so that skews the numbers a bit.

There were a few too many times where the forwards weren't coming back to help the outlet pass instead trying to skate too far ahead leaving the defensemen with no good options. Also a couple of times a Rags player was way behind the defense. 1 was the Nash breakaway the other needed a lob pass that went too far and ended up being nothing.

Edited by roomtemp

I just got done finishing the game, I had something else to do last night and went in full shutdown mode with the phone so it was never spoiled for me, just an awesome win especially after that horrible first period.

Butcher has just been ridiculously good, they better start selling some player t shirts for him at the arena, this kid seems legit. 

Kinkaid was on point tonight and he definitely earned himself a game next week in one of the back to backs. 

Tuesday can't get here quick enough, this has been so much fun so far.

Also, fvck the Rangers! 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 6

Forwards I'm somewhat concerned about:

1) Hall. Makes stupid decisions in the offensive zone, seems to miss the net very often.

2) Zacha and the stupid penalties. Has to play with some discipline.

3) Hischier seems to have lost a little of his swagger, not worried but I wonder what Hynes and co. will be thinking about as he approaches 7 games or whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Forwards I'm somewhat concerned about:

1) Hall. Makes stupid decisions in the offensive zone, seems to miss the net very often.

2) Zacha and the stupid penalties. Has to play with some discipline.

3) Hischier seems to have lost a little of his swagger, not worried but I wonder what Hynes and co. will be thinking about as he approaches 7 games or whatever.

Pretty much the same feelings, with just some modifications:

1) Agree, Hall never seems to want to be the guy to take the shot. If he passed on his goal vs the Caps, I was going to lose my goddamn mind.

2) Zacha seems to be making bad decisions all over the ice, minus the faceoff dot. I think he'll get it together, at least I hope.

3) Can't imagine they'll send him down, maybe they'll just let him work through it. I feel bad for him since so many other rookies keep getting their firsts, and Nico's still goalless.

Hall has missed the net a bunch but I don't think this is a problem.  He'll always make some curious decisions with the puck but he'll also make a lot of great passes + be responsible for a bunch of goals.

Hischier was among the forwards Hynes chose to close out the game last night.  He's not going anywhere.  He's been less impressive the last 3 games, but I don't think anyone's going to make a fuss when Hischier plays Game 10.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I think Hall has been very good. I don't really see where the criticism is coming from.

He doesn't finish enough, and that's been the case since he's been here...at times it's frustrating to watch.  But I'm hopeful that he'll start getting some breaks.  

1 hour ago, Steven M. said:

Gotta love it 

fvck Mickey Meltdown and his Rangers too, heh heh.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He doesn't finish enough, and that's been the case since he's been here...at times it's frustrating to watch.  But I'm hopeful that he'll start getting some breaks.  

fvck Mickey Meltdown and his Rangers too, heh heh.

I can't imagine that the points don't start to come for him but this Devils team has certainly had a whole lot of finish, especially for the Devils, which makes every net miss stand out a whole lot more.

10 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I can't imagine that the points don't start to come for him but this Devils team has certainly had a whole lot of finish, especially for the Devils, which makes every net miss stand out a whole lot more.

Hall really hasn't been anything special since the start of 2014...he's averaging 23.6 G per 82 games since then, on 8.7% shooting.  He's not going to finish this season at 5.6% (his rate so far), but like I've previously said, I can't expect more than 25 goals from him in any given season that he manages to play in all 82 games (he's done that just once in his career).

I still think he'll be a contributor here, but I also think the fact that he was a #1 overall pick means some people think he's going to suddenly kick up his production a notch or two.  I don't see it.  I think he'll be a little more productive as his Devil career unfolds, but not that much more than he is now.  

16 hours ago, jagknife said:

Pretty much the same feelings, with just some modifications:

1) Agree, Hall never seems to want to be the guy to take the shot. If he passed on his goal vs the Caps, I was going to lose my goddamn mind.

2) Zacha seems to be making bad decisions all over the ice, minus the faceoff dot. I think he'll get it together, at least I hope.

3) Can't imagine they'll send him down, maybe they'll just let him work through it. I feel bad for him since so many other rookies keep getting their firsts, and Nico's still goalless.

I don't see him getting sent down either...I don't need to see him put up 100 points or so in the Q...we already know he can dominate in that league.  Yeah, this first season is probably not going to be that impressive for him numbers-wise (if he averages close to a 1/2 point per game and looks more comfortable as the season progresses, I'll be happy with that), and he could stand to put on some weight, but I think this is an important development year for him, and he'll learn far more up here than in the Q.  He's playing in the very best hockey league in the world and is basically a kid among men...his strong preseason made me hopeful that he was going to jump right in and produce, but I've adjusted those expectations and will be more patient and realistic.  As long as he doesn't get hurt, I think this season will be a very good learning experience, regardless of what his final 2017-18 stats may suggest. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hall really hasn't been anything special since the start of 2014...he's averaging 23.6 G per 82 games since then, on 8.7% shooting.  He's not going to finish this season at 5.6% (his rate so far), but like I've previously said, I can't expect more than 25 goals from him in any given season that he manages to play in all 82 games (he's done that just once in his career).

I still think he'll be a contributor here, but I also think the fact that he was a #1 overall pick means some people think he's going to suddenly kick up his production a notch or two.  I don't see it.  I think he'll be a little more productive as his Devil career unfolds, but not that much more than he is now.  

I don't see him getting sent down either...I don't need to see him put up 100 points or so in the Q...we already know he can dominate in that league.  Yeah, this first season is probably not going to be that impressive for him numbers-wise (if he averages close to a 1/2 point per game and looks more comfortable as the season progresses, I'll be happy with that), and he could stand to put on some weight, but I think this is an important development year for him, and he'll learn far more up here than in the Q.  He's playing in the very best hockey league in the world and is basically a kid among men...his strong preseason made me hopeful that he was going to jump right in and produce, but I've adjusted those expectations and will be more patient and realistic.  As long as he doesn't get hurt, I think this season will be a very good learning experience, regardless of what his final 2017-18 stats may suggest. 

I'm with you guys. I don't have any expectations for him this season other than to get some experience and not get HURT. It looks like he could use another 30lbs on him to play with these guys right now lol. It is early but It's really exciting to think I was looking at Calder candidates in the preseason and people were looking at Nico, but now NJ also has Bratt and Butcher too. If those 3 guys are all fighting for top consideration by the middle of the season that would just be fvcking incredible. 

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm with you guys. I don't have any expectations for him this season other than to get some experience and not get HURT. It looks like he could use another 30lbs on him to play with these guys right now lol. It is early but It's really exciting to think I was looking at Calder candidates in the preseason and people were looking at Nico, but now NJ also has Bratt and Butcher too. If those 3 guys are all fighting for top consideration by the middle of the season that would just be fvcking incredible. 

It will be very interesting to see how these guys all hold up.  82 NHL games is a quantum leap over their previous workloads (but that can be said for any young player making the jump into the NHL).

The Devils get a week-long break after Friday's game...it's a chance to work on the D in practice, but I wish that break was coming much later.  It's like getting your bye week in the NFL in Week 2. 

• Like 1