GDT: Devils @ Senators, 7:30 PM

devlman

4 minutes ago, WaffleFries said:

There was a point where he stopped a hard shot on his glove side and I remember seeing him shaking his hand and hunching over a little. Don't remember when exaclty it was but it was a give away in the neutral zone and the whover got the puck for the sens took the shot from approx the top oif the circle (I think it was EK65)

You might be thinking of the KK1 save 6 minutes into the 3rd, he seemed to catch that off his collar bone, and the first one was almost off his mask.

Of course I could be wrong

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

@TomGulittiNHL
Most OT goals by D since 3-on-3 OT started in 2015-16:
1. John Moore 5
2. Brent Burns 4
Shane Gostisbehere 4
4. Seven guys tied with 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that kinda makes up for some of his rough spots

• Like 1

Schneider's bad tonight, he gives up 4 when he probably should've given up around 2, gotta just chalk it up as an L, right?  Nope.  

Devils got some breaks for sure - Johansson's goal was particularly fluky - but you have to take your breaks when you get them and the Devils have been able to at the beginning of this season.   And then think about some of the breaks they didn't get - Butcher made an incredible pass to Palmieri that Palmieri couldn't handle because of the bad ice, they got all those breakaways short-handed and couldn't capitalize, both Severson and Prout took 2 bad penalties - etc. etc.

If these lines stay like this, Drew Stafford is going to get a ton of opportunities to score.  Tonight it was Hischier who got the juicy chances but Stafford will get those opportunities.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Damn didnt realize Sevs was a plus 3 tonight.

Would be nice to see Minus Man keep that up, but his day didn't feel as solid as the +3 would suggest.  That behind-the-play penalty was beyond infuriating.

Speaking of the D, I get that the Devils are probably trying to show Mueller some tough love now (with the healthy scratches) in the hopes that he'll get better down the line...but man, it's really tough when either Lovejoy or Prout is in the lineup. 

How great is it that six different Devils are tied with 3 goals each for the team lead?  And that four other Devils have scored two each?  It really is different guys every night.  Love this.   

• Like 1

None of this is sustainable, right? I cannot believe what I've seen in the last two third periods from this team. I was all about tempering expectations to start the year but this is just too much fun. Let's just hope they put together as many points as possible now so they have a bit of a cushion when there's a dry spell or an injury. It's still very early. 

On a slightly different note, my fantasy league is made up of 10 rangers fans, 1 wings fan, and me. I keep telling myself not to talk too much trash and jinx this. Watching them wallow in basement makes me absurdly happy.

• Like 3

What's refreshing to me is Hynes's being totally unafraid of putting out Nico, Bratt, Zacha in last 2 minutes of a game. This instills confidence! Most coaches tty to preserve what ground they've gained. (shorten the bench) No, they were trying to score to the last second.  There were no stupid penalties tonight.

My wife was in bed wondering why I hollered out (dammit i'm trying to get to sleep). This team is really a great surprise. 

in addition, Philly & Rag$ lost last night.  life is good!

1 hour ago, NLinfante said:

None of this is sustainable, right? I cannot believe what I've seen in the last two third periods from this team. I was all about tempering expectations to start the year but this is just too much fun. Let's just hope they put together as many points as possible now so they have a bit of a cushion when there's a dry spell or an injury. It's still very early. 

On a slightly different note, my fantasy league is made up of 10 rangers fans, 1 wings fan, and me. I keep telling myself not to talk too much trash and jinx this. Watching them wallow in basement makes me absurdly happy.

At least it's not built on one or two guys going crazy out of the gate with fluky runs.  It's been a true team effort so far.  And Hall is due for some puck luck as far as goal-scoring goes...it's also nice to see his passes being put home...gotta be hard to put in the effort and keep seeing it go for naught, as was often the case last season. 

Hopefully Schneider's injury isn't serious. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At least it's not built on one or two guys going crazy out of the gate with fluky runs.  It's been a true team effort so far.  And Hall is due for some puck luck as far as goal-scoring goes...it's also nice to see his passes being put home...gotta be hard to put in the effort and keep seeing it go for naught, as was often the case last season. 

Hopefully Schneider's injury isn't serious. 

Noticed that myself. Nice even distribution of offensive contributions. Not all boiled down to 1 or 2 guys.

10 hours ago, Triumph said:

Schneider's bad tonight, he gives up 4 when he probably should've given up around 2, gotta just chalk it up as an L, right?  Nope.  

Devils got some breaks for sure - Johansson's goal was particularly fluky - but you have to take your breaks when you get them and the Devils have been able to at the beginning of this season.   And then think about some of the breaks they didn't get - Butcher made an incredible pass to Palmieri that Palmieri couldn't handle because of the bad ice, they got all those breakaways short-handed and couldn't capitalize, both Severson and Prout took 2 bad penalties - etc. etc.

If these lines stay like this, Drew Stafford is going to get a ton of opportunities to score.  Tonight it was Hischier who got the juicy chances but Stafford will get those opportunities.

THat Mojo goal was fluky, but also chalk that up to the fact that the players have finally started playing in front of the net: Something they haven't done much in the past. Nico's 2nd goal was because he was right in the front as well.

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

First time in a long long time we were down 4-2 and you didn't feel the game was over.

Agree, feels like the 2000-01 team right now, in that you feel like you at least have a chance to even it up.  I didn't necessarily think they'd come back, but I did think they were going to get their opportunities.  Was nice that they got such a big break with Mojo's goal...but at the same time, when you can keep creating a nice volume of scoring chances, you start getting more of those "good team" kinds of breaks. 

In recent seasons, some games felt like they were over when the Devils were down 1-0. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, feels like the 2000-01 team right now, in that you feel like you at least have a chance to even it up.  I didn't necessarily think they'd come back, but I did think they were going to get their opportunities.  Was nice that they got such a big break with Mojo's goal...but at the same time, when you can keep creating a nice volume of scoring chances, you start getting more of those "good team" kinds of breaks. 

In recent seasons, some games felt like they were over when the Devils were down 1-0. 

And they were! lol. And those teams knew I'm sure how slow and unskilled they were so when they got down, they'd deflate. Scoring chances would be few and far between. When they came they'd bungle them. Squeezing sticks too tight. This team is fast and you can see the confidence building on the offensive end. They're starting to feel like they can go in and score on anybody