GDT: Devils @ Toronto 7pm Msg Return of the Zajac

Henriqued

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I didn't think Palms or Rico had a great game, but I do think Schneider played really well. He made some amazing saves to keep the Devils in it after 1 that is for sure. Some games it's like Palms losses his touch and his passes go all over the place.

Leafs without Matthews is a horse of another color. Should have been our game but hockey gods decided 7 for the Devils was way too much.

Palmieri was fine. If we want to start bitching about a forward, then let's talk about Henrique... he's not making mistakes at least so he's not noticeable but that's the thing... he's been invisible.

Regardless, feel like that was easily one of their better, more complete efforts of the season. You'd like to score more goals (obviously) but that's kinda the way the game went... each team played incredibly structured and didn't allow many good looks. We had ample opportunities to end it in OT and were by far the better team for 45 mins of this one with the first 20 being even I'd say... just ended on a fluky ass goal and Andersen stole this one. What can you do? Hard not to like the way the team is playing, feeling more and more like they are definitely for real and we can make the playoffs. 

Not really seeing anyone saying it here but on reddit and other places I keep seeing people acting like they played like trash... don't agree with that one bit. Thought they played an excellent road game and to be honest deserved to win but sometimes you lose when you deserve to win, sometimes you win when you don't want to. Another point in the bank.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If you like crazy goaltending, you liked tonight’s game. Cory made at least 5 crazy saves in regulation and stole us a point.

I thought Palmieri was brutal with the puck handling tonight, right up until the overtime.

Bad deflection won the game, that’s the way this one had to end. 

Not so much the deflection itself...2 seconds left - that s^cks. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If you like crazy goaltending, you liked tonight’s game. Cory made at least 5 crazy saves in regulation and stole us a point.

I thought Palmieri was brutal with the puck handling tonight, right up until the overtime.

Bad deflection won the game, that’s the way this one had to end. 

He was , I was screaming at him all game for screwing up chances...  having lovejoy out there with 1:40 left was making my blood pressure rise.. wtf, hynes..   boyle can be a dumpster fire at times but is fun , lol  thought santini was a monster ..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Palmieri was fine. If we want to start bitching about a forward, then let's talk about Henrique... he's not making mistakes at least so he's not noticeable but that's the thing... he's been invisible.

Regardless, feel like that was easily one of their better, more complete efforts of the season. You'd like to score more goals (obviously) but that's kinda the way the game went... each team played incredibly structured and didn't allow many good looks. We had ample opportunities to end it in OT and were by far the better team for 45 mins of this one with the first 20 being even I'd say... just ended on a fluky ass goal and Andersen stole this one. What can you do? Hard not to like the way the team is playing, feeling more and more like they are definitely for real and we can make the playoffs. 

Not really seeing anyone saying it here but on reddit and other places I keep seeing people acting like they played like trash... don't agree with that one bit. Thought they played an excellent road game and to be honest deserved to win but sometimes you lose when you deserve to win, sometimes you win when you don't want to. Another point in the bank.

Agree. Henrique was indeed invisible and Travis just came back - can't expect much of him. That's minus 2 on the roster. One of those nights I'd like to forget despite their dominance. 

Thought this might be the best 60 minute game they played all season, at least that I've seen.  Cory stole one point but Andersen might've stolen two.  

Coleman's been a nice surprise this season but he takes a ton of penalties.  

Lovejoy wasn't horrible tonight.

Boyle looked lost when he first drew in but tonight he looked quite good along the offensive boards.  Reminded me of Zubrus, in a good way.

Zajac will need a few games to get his stick skills back to where they should be but he is still really good defensively.

• Like 4

I thought we played a solid game. Difference this year we're getting out of our zone way better. i thought Severson was very good. We took over much of the game in spirts. Liking this 4th line! Coleman is a pleasant surprise. I thought last penalty was bs. #23 digging in and so is Gibbons. We have far more balance this year. This is a fun team!

20 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Is this sarcasm I am missing? It isn't like both teams didn't have scoring chances. Can hardly blame a tight game on one player lol.

Yeah it was sarcasm. 

I found it funny that his first game back is the first time in an age we don't score.

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Zajac literally kills all offence dead in one go.<_<

Ha Ha  I was thinking the same thing, you could see him sitting on the bench with a sour puss face talking to himself, LOL

it was a typical zajac game, zero goals scored , but zero against in regulation

Edited by EdgeControl
  • Like 1

Tough, structured game by both teams last night.  They really game planned to keep the Devils from creating off the rush, and it was good to see the Devils play a game like that.  That type of play will lead to more W's moving forward.  Good to get a tough road point.

You can see this team is heading in the right direction.  The structure, the system, the ability to hold the offensive zone, winning board battles and races to the puck...you can see these things happening that weren't there last year and before.  And as the season goes along, I'm betting the improved play gets better, not worse.  That stuff will lead to wins, and the fancy stats will start looking a lot better. 

I can't be so hyper-critical this year and look at shift to shift, or even 1 game.  This team is in the building part of the re-build now, as Shero put it.  So as long as this team team puts up points, W's, keeps in the hunt, and is playing meaningful games later in the year, I'm liking the direction.  I'm beginning to feel that there's no massive regression coming, but continued improvement.

• Like 2

In general I think you have to see it as a huge step forward that they managed to not give up a ton to Toronto on their ice. Yeah, Matthews wasn't in but they have other guys who can score no problem. It's a matter of what you give up vs what you create and this team will struggle more with what they give up, so to me that was a big step forward. Another positive, they seem to have gotten the penalties under control. 4th time this season they just took two minors.

• Like 1

Under the context of they played well and secured a huge point in a tough building, a few critiques which clearly show how spoiled I've gotten already:

1. Henrique disappears offensively for large stretches. I wish he was more consistent and gave two damns about sustaining his line's attack.

2. Noesen looks like he doesn't know what to do with the puck half the time. I'd either replace him with Hayes or slot Zacha in as the LW and move Gibbons to RW.

3. I wanted Hynes to use his timeout before or during the OT power play in order to keep the top guns out there.

Great point secured, great game by Cory. Let's get the goals flowing again in Winnipeg.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

Such a brutal game to lose, especially with how dialed in Cory was last night.

inability to convert on chances killed us, badly.

yeah he brings other stuff to the table (solid back checking to save the goal late, for example) but Henrique needs to get going on offense. This team can not rely on the bottom 6 producing on a constant basis and his black hole of production over the past 9 games is being hidden under the rest of the team’s success. 

Like Tri said, Lovejoy wasn’t terrible, in fact I think he played one of his best games as a Devil. Smart pinches and made a solid play to prevent the Leafs from entering the zone early on that made me actually double take that it was him.

Glad we got the point, sucks we couldn’t get 2 after the gem Cory gave us (helped my fantasy team though cause I got stuck with Andersen). Let’s get the 2 tomorrow against a quietly tough Jets team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

It's not the loss that bothers me. Its losing with 2.2 seconds left. Seriously?

The funny thing was, as Cangi was saying that Kadri was basically gassed with about 5 secs left or so, and it felt like this game was definitely going to a SO, I remember thinking "Now watch Leafs score right here"...never believing that it was actually going to happen.  My reaction was pretty much "Come on...fvcking REALLY?! " 

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The funny thing was, as Cangi was saying that Kadri was basically gassed with about 5 secs left or so, and it felt like this game was definitely going to a SO, I remember thinking "Now watch Leafs score right here"...never believing that it was actually going to happen.  My reaction was pretty much "Come on...fvcking REALLY?! " 

I was listening to the radio before i felt asleep during the Blackhawks game and Chico had a similar moment at the end of the 2nd talking about getting out of the period without a goal after the penalty and before falling asleep my last thought was "God damnit Chico"