GDT: Sabres @ Devils 12/29 7:00PM

Nicomo

RECAP

• So many things to be frustrated about
    • That slashing call on Vatanen was soft AF.  I understand they're cracking down on slashing, but Vatanen didn't even get any part of the body, and he got all stick.
    • The offside challenge rule is literally the worst rule ever in the history of sports.  If I had a dollar for every offside goal in the past 100 years of the league that never got noticed, I'd be rich AF.
    • Why was Palmieri taking that face-off?  Is it really THAT important to have a righty taking that face-off just because it's in the right side face-off circle?  Why couldn't Hynes just call a timeout and send Zajac back out to take it?
  • Despite all that, the team did play a strong game, and they didn't fall into the trap.
  • Zacha looked good tonight.
  • Palmieri was invisible.
  • It was nice to see Johansson get one.
  • I'm actually kind of happy for Josefson getting that goal even though I prefer that he didn't.
  • Washington hasn't been playing all that great recently, so we might be getting them at the right time.

POSSESSION

• ES CF:  53 to 41
  • ES FF: 44 to 34
  • ES SF: 37 to 24
  • ES SCF: 32 to 17
  • ES HDCF: 9 to 6
  • All CF: 54 to 52
  • All FF: 45 to 43
  • All SF: 38 to 29
  • All SCF: 32 to 25
  • All HDCF: 9 to 8

1 minute ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• So many things to be frustrated about
    • That slashing call on Vatanen was soft AF.  I understand they're cracking down on slashing, but Vatanen didn't even get any part of the body, and he got all stick.
    • The offside challenge rule is literally the worst rule ever in the history of sports.  If I had a dollar for every offside goal in the past 100 years of the league that never got noticed, I'd be rich AF.
    • Why was Palmieri taking that face-off?  Is it really THAT important to have a righty taking that face-off just because it's in the right side face-off circle?  Why couldn't Hynes just call a timeout and send Zajac back out to take it?
  • Despite all that, the team did play a strong game, and they didn't fall into the trap.
  • Zacha looked good tonight.
  • Palmieri was invisible.
  • It was nice to see Johansson get one.
  • I'm actually kind of happy for Josefson getting that goal even though I prefer that he didn't.
  • Washington hasn't been playing all that great recently, so we might be getting them at the right time.

POSSESSION

• ES CF:  53 to 41
  • ES FF: 44 to 34
  • ES SF: 37 to 24
  • ES SCF: 32 to 17
  • ES HDCF: 9 to 6
  • All CF: 54 to 52
  • All FF: 45 to 43
  • All SF: 38 to 29
  • All SCF: 32 to 25
  • All HDCF: 9 to 8

until that rule works in your favor.

That goal did NOT look offside.

but what's even worse is the officials were terrible. Every call on us seemed soft AF, and the Sabres got away with tons of holds. So infuriating.

Very upset with this loss. Wasted point and end of winning streak against a garbage team which we outplayed.

• Like 2

I'm not happy with the offsides review. Idc if it goes in favor of my team. I hate that new feature in the game. We've lived with bad calls from the ref for 100 years and still have many other situations where human error is involved. Why change it now? It's fvcking stupid. Human error is part of the game from the players and officials. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They just went 5-0-1 on a six-game homestand.  Goddamn does this fanbase go overboard with entitlement sometimes.  sh!t happens sometimes, they have a whopping nine regulation losses through 37 GP.  No reason to overreact to one OT loss.

You are thinking that folks are upset with the macro, long term view of the team, which is clearly not the case. We lost a clear point and winning streak in a very avoidable and frustrating way. That definitely pisses me thefvck off.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

Tampa Bay just lost to the Flyers.  On their home ice.  In regulation.  It happens.  Like mfitz said, moving on to Washington.  6-0-2 in their last 8...I'll take it.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm not happy with the offsides review. Idc if it goes in favor of my team. I hate that new feature in the game. We've lived with bad calls from the ref for 100 years and still have many other situations where human error is involved. Why change it now? It's fvcking stupid. Human error is part of the game from the players and officials. 

Exactly. That’s part of what makes sports sports. What is called on the ice should stand. 

• Like 2

Just now, devlman said:

You are thinking that folks are upset with the macro, long term view of the team, which is clearly not the case. We lost a clear point and winning streak in a very avoidable and frustrating way. That definitely posses me thefvck off.

I get being aggravated, but I still think Since1982-83's reaction at the time was way overboard considering.  And I do think some here have a way of blowing up losses to be much more than they are.  It's almost like the team isn't ever allowed to lose.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get being aggravated, but I still think Since1982-83's reaction at the time was way overboard considering.  And I do think some here have a way of blowing up losses to be much more than they are.  It's almost like the team isn't ever allowed to lose.

I didn't go back in thread a great deal but I didn't see anyone calling for players heads. I see more bitching about refs, which I am totally on board with.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. That’s part of what makes sports sports. What is called on the ice should stand. 

This I get.  It's one thing to overturn a blatantly missed call.  But expecting refs to catch some of these just-barely calls is really asking a lot.

30 minutes ago, Since1982-83 said:

Guys, you'll have to forgive me for a few moments here...but this game tonight obviously has me creased unlike any other game this year. Of course, I loved the homestand, of course, the team has exceeded all expectations, of course, I love what I've seen to date...but they had a PERFECT homestand on the line with a 2 goal lead at home. Also, as I stated previously, this was a horrible loss, the kind of a loss you see teams have at times that then portends a slide in the other direction. I really fear the Caps tomorrow night coming off of this game this evening. Hope I'm wrong, but I think they'll lose tomorrow night and it might not be pretty.

I can understand you being upset about the game. That loss just didn't feel good. But I don't see any reason to blow it up into more than it is. You're borderline hoping for the worst here. In the end it doesn't portend anything. It's just a loss, in OT, in a game we almost won, on the end of a 6-0-2 run.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

I didn't go back in thread a great deal but I didn't see anyone calling for players heads. I see more bitching about refs, which I am totally on board with.

My post was quoting Since1982-83, who was definitely calling out the team (unfairly I thought).  But in general I had a feeling some would throw a sh!tfit if the Devils dared not to win.  Like I said in my first post in this thread, sometimes you just let it go and cut the team a break.  Does suck that some controversy was involved.

They've been on the right end of breaks most of the time this year. They thoroughly dominated most of the game but didn't get the bounces or calls. We actually gained ground on a lot of the teams in the race.

Pitt lost in regulation 

NYI lost in regulation 

CBJ lost in regulation

NYR lost in a shootout 

• Like 3

The Zacha line was really cranking. I can't believe how much Wood has improved from last season.

Vatanen has found his game, and has probably been the best defenseman on the team for the last few games.

Zajac is still making a couple of nice plays per game, but the guy is really starting to drive me crazy by killing play after play in the offensive zone. After tonight, he's on pace for fewer points than Josefson, and for a team's 2nd line center to be on pace for ~8 points per 82, there's got to be a problem there. I don't know what they're gonna do with him.

He did set up Nico in OT, which made for a nice chance, so I'll give credit where it's due. 

• Like 2

My biggest complaint about the offsides review and reviews in general is that it should never take 5+ minutes to figure it out. If it takes that damn long the call on the ice should just stand. The league wants to increase scoring yet takes away goals( a beautiful one at that) over a skate being an inch off the ice. Hall still schooled the d-man and the goalie. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 6

Devils are playing better and better.  You don't win every game.  I hate the offsides rule, didn't celebrate the Hall goal at all because I thought he might be offside.  And that's the real issue with it for me.  

I didn't see the whole game but I liked what I saw.  That Hall-Hischier-Bratt line is just insanely good.  Curious to see when they get a real test - this Washington game feels schedule loss-y 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Devils are playing better and better.  You don't win every game.  I hate the offsides rule, didn't celebrate the Hall goal at all because I thought he might be offside.  And that's the real issue with it for me.  

I didn't see the whole game but I liked what I saw.  That Hall-Hischier-Bratt line is just insanely good.  Curious to see when they get a real test - this Washington game feels schedule loss-y 

Unfortunately, I have the same feeling about tomorrow but I'm hoping they can bounce back.